Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

The Saga of 71
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Here is a closer look at the good one the back one tank is ok but the working part is rusted.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2062 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane88:
Took a closer look at the 2 tanks under 71 they are about half way down the chassis. Believe them to be a brake boost system. one for the front and one for the back. Seems the brake lines from the master cylinder might run to them not directly to the wheels. Pic shows both devices. will send a close up of one.

anyone ever seen this type of device and where one can get them these don't work very rusted at least one is. can not find them on the internet.

Wish my memory was better? That tripped as something I’ve seen. Not sure if it is under Camp Barth? Or on an old Chevy grain truck my uncle had? Either way no help to you. I have been unable to find the chassis book from Camp Barth. I bet I took it to camp and I won’t be there again until fall. Sorry

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
72081169MC22C
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1385 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Spent hours on the internet seeking what the hell these things do, how they work, and where to get new.

Seems the folks who made this modification, used remote boosters that were designed for a single port master cylinder, 71 has a dual port master, so they used one for each port. Bubba at work again, good idea though one works the front and the other the back.

Found 3 viable units one for a dual port master and the other 2 for single port master similar to the existing set up. The system for the dual port suggests one for drum brakes and the other for disc front brakes and costs almost $1000.

The single port units can be bought in kits, the base device is the same for all, but the mounting is specific to an application, has all the brackets lines and fittings made to fit. Depending on the application prices very from $75 to $400. Do not have one specific to a P30.

The third unit is specifically for Land Rover, the wheel cylinder are the same size as the 71 and it says it has a boost of 2.3, looks pretty sturdy. $90 a unit.

Either of these two will require me to fabricate brackets and probably redo the fluid and vacuum lines.

Leaning toward the $90 unit seems better quality and a bit less length. Don't think the $1000 unit is necessary.

For the time being just going to leave it as is, it should work as a non-power brake, until the rest is road worthy.

Never know what one will uncover in these ole Barth's.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2062 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Those look like some type of vacuum brake boosters. I suspect this might be what came before the HydroBoost brake system?

In any case I would be surprised if they are still working. Rubber parts, air moisture, etc. If not working I would plug the vacuum line to avoid a vacuum leak. Check for leaks either way.

I suspect any assist is better then no assist, so any of those systems would be way better than nothing. The bargain ones should work fine, with minor fitting. Matching cylinder size is great, also in your case having all four wheels with drum brakes. The front and rear boosters drive the same brakes so matching boosters should be ideal.

If you had disc brakes you would need higher pressure in the front system.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5189 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Steve; Back when I started working on the engine, the transmission was puking fluid all over the place and there was only a few inches of HG vacuum. Found a huge vacuum line running out of the manifold that went to the back of the coach. Disconnected and plugged it. Turns out it is the line to these boosters, that fixed the transmission puking, and the vacuum went up to above 20 inches HG. So, they do leak like crazy not sure it is the units or the lines going to them maybe both.

Pretty sure the boosters are not original, the vacuum plumbing going to them is pretty Bubba, using black pipe fittings.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Grandson made it out on Easter Sunday, and we got a few things done on ole 71.

Re-bled all the brakes, only the passenger side rear seemed to have air in the system. Now even without the remote brake assists working there is pretty good pedal at last. Not sure how much pressure it will take to stop though. Still need to get insurance and the fuel system working before taking a test ride.

We were able to figure out why the air ride system was not getting power. The kid is thin and spry had him get under the dash and trace down the power wire. Someone had put a fuse holder inline and the fuse had been removed, impossible location to see unless one knew it was there. New fuse and whoopie!! The system is tied into the ignition switch so no off/on switch. Think it needs one do not want the starter and air pump running at the same time, drawback is I will probably forget to engage the air ride system.

Guess it is time to deal with the fuel system!!!! Do not want to drop that ******* fuel tank!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Sounds like good progress, keep it up! I am interested to see how well those rear air suspension units work.

In my opinin, you have your priorities straight. No reason to make it go until you can make it stop! confusion

Good luck with your fuel system. Both our experiences with GM chassis fuel systems have shown them to be a source of hassles when trying to supply a hungry 454 with adequate fuel. I had issues with everything from tanks to carb. Good luck getting yours to be stable!

I see your Supporting Member badge is updated. Thanks for supporting the site. I am sure Bill NY appreciates your help.

Hope the weather stays warm and helps you get your coach on the road! Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5189 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Steve, good luck and a pleasant trip back to Michigan.

Dana of course is melting Minnesnowta and sending the proceeds to us via the Mississippi River. All week should be nice sunny and maybe even an 80F day.

Point of interest, this 350 engine is smooth and compared to the 454 in Nose and Buford is quiet as a mouse. HP is not much less.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Actually I had not considered the age of your coach as for engine type. It was not until after 1972 or so when EPA dropped compression and went to no lead. It may be very possible your 350 is equal to or more horsepower than the later 454s. My 86 454 had compression of 8.0 to 1 and was rated only 240 hp. Your 350 is likely closer to 9.5 to 1 and may be 250 to 300 hp! With your later valve job you should be ok with no lead too. Mileage may be better as well.

Good luck with your projects!

Have Barth, will travel Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Steve I have the original handbook for this p30 it says the compression ratio was 8.7 t 1. The entry in the maintenance log says the upgrade to harden seats and head shave raised it to 9.1 to 1. Have no idea what the horsepower is now, but the handbook said it was 240 new.

Taking a closer look at the air ride system. Also have the manufacturers handbook, reading the maintenance log looks like the install was really well done. One curious point is the Maintenace log says it was installed in 94, but the serial tag shows it was built in 90, it maybe a used system or just sat around for a number of years before used. The function seems like it is as intended and works fine in the driveway! Like you am very curious how well it does on the road.

Worked a little on the minor repair on the side of 71 (see pic in an earlier post) https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...061/m/2683949797/p/3.
Found a guy in town with a sheet of aluminum a bit thicker than the original. He also has a roller long enough to form the panel. Made a template of the cross section and Thursday will try to make the part.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Another typical Barth repair day. Got the new spark plug wires that go under the manifolds installed, no more worries about them hitting the hot stuff and melting, no more wires holding them out of the hot area.

Have brakes, engine runs great, Transmisson seems to function put insurance on the Barth! Thought I would maybe drive around the sub-division let it move on a road for the first time in maybe 20 years.

The air ride system was working fine, sure it was!!! today the air pump would not shut off. Had buttoned the system up and replaced the bench seat. Seems the fill valve on the passenger side park mode is not closing. Suppose that is why someone removed the fuse from the system. Need to remove the bench open the system control box and disassemble the valve see why it won't shut off. Postpone the test ride.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Hooray!!! Took ole 71 out for a short ride around the sub-division. Still running out of a temporary gas can and trying to pump all the stuff from 71's tank. Might be the first time on the road under its own power in over 20 years..

Still need a bit of work on the brakes. Pedal without any assist is a bit stiffer and not as high as it should be. Got to adjust the shoes again and maybe bleed them one more time. They did stop the coach, but not yet what one would say is roadworthy.

The dog gone thing has a great ride, the tires are "LT750r16" going to change to "LT235 85 R 16". The engine is really quiet compared to Nose and 88. The air ride system functioned well, yesterday, rebuilt the park up valve that seemed to be leaking, did not find anything awful, however one O-ring was pretty collapsed, replaced it and the system is functioning, but for how long???? A bit Leary about replacing the bench and closing up the control box.

Still need to check out the roof A/C, waste water system, generator, water heater, furnace and water system. Did find the water pump switch, there is another switch next to it, wonder what it does??

While putting in the new spark plug wires, noticed the passenger side manifold is from a later model, it has the AIR pump holes, they have been plugged, wonder why they just didn't change to headers?

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Let the world get ahead of me, decided 71 needed to see the hi-way, bad move!!

Hooked up the old crappy fuel tank, put a filter in the line and few gallons of new fuel. Started it up. Ran ok on that cruddy ole stuff.

Then the fun started, began to pump more air than fuel. Thought it was just low on fuel. Then it decided to stop pumping fuel period!

So now the quandary, the fuel pick-up on Nose and 88 both had some rubber hose it the tank fuel pick up device. It had deteriorated and unless the fuel level was above the rubber line it would not pick up fuel. So a smart guy would get the pick-up out of the tank and see what is going on,,,Right?? So drop the tank or try to find where the pick-up is located and cut a hole the coach floor to remove it??

A guy like me just might add more fuel to the tank until it runs again, take it out on the hi-way like a fool!!

Just took a look at Rockauto, the fuel sending unit they show, only has a sock no rubber tubes. Hope Barth used the same unit in this tank! This pump does not have a return line, just a single line pick-up tube.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Think I have a touch of the Ole Spring Fever. Have not worked on the 71 for a couple of days.

Dana on the other hand is melting his snow by the barge full. We have had to put in the flood gates and start the overflow pumps! How much more you got to melt up there in Minnesnowta, Dana???

Davenport is closing streets due to flood water!! Even the pelican's are P.O.ed their breeding island is under water.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Dana has gone too far, this is the second worst flood in 20 years or so. Davenport has doubled their temporary flood dam downtown; our river front restaurant parking lot is half under water. Do not think the Mississippi River has reached its crest in our pool yet.

Those of us in the know, will be sending Santa Claus a bad report card on Dana!!!

Just took a quick look at the National Weather Service Hydro report. Looks like we still have over 2 foot to go before the Mississippi river crest in our pool. If this holds water (ha Ha) this will be the worst flood in many years!!

Been pretty cool and rain on and off, so not much accomplished on the 71, this week looks like better weather and a bit warmer.

P30 chassis
350 engine