Tools
Reply To This Topic

New Monitor question [PC]
 Login now/Join our community

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted
We got a new 20" wide screen and I can't get it to show full screen without stretching the image. The only way to get an accurate image is setting it to fill to aspect ratio and I then lose a couple inches on either side. The guy at Office Depot says it should show full screen accurately but he doesn't know how to do it apparently.
It's all HP. Any ideas?
Also, the new monitor doesn't have the small round receptical for my harmon/kardon speakers to power them up. The tag on that wire says 12vdc 1 amp.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
OK, I figured out how to reset the PC to 16x9 aspect and fixed the image problem. Still wondering how to plug in the speakers.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Most PCs come with a sound card or onboard sound.

There should be a set of connections on the back of the PC, with a pink or red mini-RCA jack, a green one, and a blue one.

Connect the speaker input to the green one.

Go to the Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, and check "Place volume icon in the taskbar". Then click the "Advanced" button, and select the speaker arrangement. Then "OK".

Then go to the Audio tab, and see what device show up. If nothing, it's likely the onboard sound was disabled. However, if you got sound before, likely the sound card was feeding through the monitor, a very strange way to do things.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
It's not the green plug I wonder about. It's a small round plug from a wire that has a dime size cylinder about 1 inch long in it that has to be plugged in for the little light to come on the left speaker. That's why I said it was a power cord of some sort. Tomorrow I'll dig out the old monitor and see if it says anything where this wire plugged in.

79 Barth Classic

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
If it is the power cord (odd it would be powered from the monitor), I have a bunch of 12VDC wall-warts that would work. I can send you one if needed. The only question would be the polarity, and that could be checked from the old monitor.

If you have a photo of the plug, I may have a power supply with that connector (sounds like a mini-DIN-4).

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
OK Rusty, I've done a little more looking. On the back of the tower is a sticker that says the green socket only works with powered speakers. The back of the old monitor had a socket that had a speaker sign on it, and that was where the plug from the harmon/kardons went. The new monitor has no such socket, and the built ins only work in thr front [headphone] green socket. So I'm thinking the speakers have to be powered by a 12v supply. Here's the plug, if you can tell anything from it.

79 Barth Classic

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Is the other end hard-wired into the speaker?

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
No, but the plug is a little larger.

79 Barth Classic

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I can likely send a power supply; you may have to hardwire the existing plug, although the one on it may work.

See if you can determine the speaker power input - most are 12VDC, center positive, and around 1000 ma. I do have a few AC output adaptors.

The final question: Are there controls on one speaker (volume, balance, etc. - there probably are).

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
The wrap-around sticker says 12v dc 1.0 A. The left speaker has the on-off volume control knob.

79 Barth Classic

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
PM me your address and I'll send a PS. You might not even have to cut the old plug off and splice it in.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Danny, the P/S went out today Priority Mail, 12VDC @ 1000ma. The connector is "industry standard", so you may not need to cut and hardwire.

If for some reason that doesn't work, I have a couple of 12VDC 1200ma P/Ss with screw terminals, but hardwiring is an obvious necessity.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rusty, I'll let you know how it works.

79 Barth Classic

Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Hey Rusty, hope you don't think I forgot about you. The PC went down and it took a while to get it fixed. Got the PS and it was the right plug but it didn't power up the speakers so I took it across the street to my Electrical Engineer neighbor, [USN. Ret.] and he says it's DOA. Did you check it before you sent it? I'll still send you the postage, or tack it on to my contribution to Bill if you prefer, and I'll bring it in December so you can check it out. The neighbor says he has one somewhere but he hasn't dug it out yet so I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks for trying and at least letting me know that there's hope.

79 Barth Classic

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I didn't check it as I was running short on time. I'll send another when I get home around 8/5.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke