Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Barth stories, bought and sold
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
The washing down of cylinder walls kinda interests me.

The walls heat up fast, it occurs to me it would be hard for a valve to let liquid in the chamber, also the temperature in the chamber has got to be pretty hot after just a couple of explosions. Even at full choke and throttle pump with all the compressive actions trying to squeeze liquid from the mixture the heat I would think should keep fuel in a gases state.

The speed of the piston would be far faster in oil recovery than gravity trying to move liquid down the cylinder wall. If liquid gas would hit the wall would it have time to dilute and move any of the oil, if so what percent might be displaced.? How much lubrication power does oil lose with just a breath of fuel in it?

Not a chemist, just a thought. Have been wrong before and will be again. lol Comments and discussion more than welcomed!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2041 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Back in the carburetor days, the liquid fuel was sprayed into the airstream as a mist of droplets. Depending on the length of the intake runners, the temperature of the fuel and air, the turbulence and velocity of the air/fuel mix, there was not always time for the tiny droplets of fuel to completely evaporate before they were swept into the combustion chamber.

(A four stroke engine fires every other rotation, so even at fast idle of 1000 rpm the cylinder fires 500 times per minute, about eight times per second. Doesn't leave a lot of time for the fuel to evaporate and mix as vapor. Worse at high rpm. Furthermore, since evaporation requires heat, it runs slower when cold.)

Since combustion only occurs between air and fuel vapor (not liquid), any droplets in the mixture could stick to the cold cylinder walls. When the oil scraper ring slid past it would scrape the liquid droplets into the crankcase below.

The situation was really bad in cold temperatures and with the choke valve closed, with excess fuel being delivered. Depending on manifold design, you might even have puddles of liquid fuel in the corners of the manifold. Under these conditions, the fuel mixture was a fog of gas and liquid.

Under these conditions, there was so much liquid fuel on the cylinder walls it could "wash" the oil layer off, increasing piston wear (especially when the cold pistons were running with more clearance than when warm.) The combustion mixture runs hot but the cylinder walls, being massive and liquid cooled, do not reach full temp until the coolant comes up to temp.

The excess fuel caused increased piston wear, ended up in the crankcase and diluted the oil. If the engine was allowed to warm up quickly and operated at normal temperature for a reasonable time, any fuel and water in the oil would be cooked out and exit via the breather. If the engine was only run for short periods and never warmed fully, the fuel could accumulate to the point the oil would not lubricate well.

It is said the the cold engine wears more in the first five minutes than in the next hour of warm running.

One reason the fuel injection systems were finally implemented was to more precisely control fuel delivery in the name of emissions control. In addition to reducing emissions, the mixture is never as rich as in the old choke days. Fuel injectors deliver extremely fine mist and modern manifolds almost eliminate the problems of fuel droplets in the charge mixture.

This is also why the makers of starter fluids warn against over use, the liquid washes the cylinders and gets in the oil.

Another good reason to preheat a cold engine.

Serious thread drift, sorry..

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5157 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Thanks Steve, for taking the time to explain, always a pleasure to learn.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2041 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim_Rockford007
posted Hide Post
yep , fuel injection alone solved a good 75%of cylinder wear , didnt see to many carbed engines make it to 100k or farther before needing a rebuild , now engines go 300k and still have the cross hatch from honing on the cylinder walls.

Posts: 43 | Location: Auburndale,Fla | Member Since: 03-23-2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scubique
posted Hide Post
Hello all,

I thought I would contribute my story of our new to us 1993 Barth Breakaway 30'.

I won't repeat the comments I have left elsewhere on these forums so I will start from the point of trying to get the vehicle from Florida where it was purchased to our home in Central Ohio.

From the time of purchase to the first time I got to drive the vehicle out of the storage facility was a total of almost two months. Front breaks were completely seized and beyond repair. Replaced all pads, calipers and turned all rotors on front and back got the vehicle rolling but it still needed multiple things done to make it safely home.

The trip home started with the breaks re-seizing one hour outside of Orlando, but luckily it was simply an adjustment required to resolve. I then flooded the front half of the coach while filling the fresh water tank for the first time due to a split inlet hose under the couch. The coach has wood floors so you can imagine the effect.

The cruise control does not work, the new AC compressor failed so we drove in an oven the entire way, it needed 4 new batteries, and my punch list to bring it back to "new" is 72 items long.... but despite all that it was a fantastic trip in a fantastic vehicle that my wife loves as much as I do.

Since being home I am steadily repairing items on the coach and starting to upgrade items to make it uniquely mine. It will be taking a trip in mid August up to Northern Ontario Canada so I had better at least get that stereo replaced.

Scubique

Posts: 35 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 04-24-2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Klareellis
posted Hide Post
I paid about 5 cents a pound. Not sure how much the 1983 regency weighs. Total price was $4,400. Original price was $8k. It had been sitting for near 10 years. Tires are 14 years old. The batteries all came back to life. It was an 80 mile trip to get it home. I was stressed about making it home from some of the horror stories I had read. The trip was uneventful. The olny proplems I had were no brake lights and the transmission would not down shift so I just putted up the hills. The pic is what it looked like when I first saw it. I have since pressure washed the moss of off the roof, cleaned the interior. I am very pleased with my barth. It took 5 trips to the coach to check out all of the systems (15hrs of drive time). I did put recent pics on photo bucket but some are upside down. I am already looking for a second barth. A toaster would be fantastic but it will have to wait till ive purchased new tires.

Posts: 33 | Location: Iowa | Member Since: 11-25-2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
I am trying another picture to see if it has the correct orientation.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob & Yvonne M.
posted Hide Post
Let me try this again. I posted an introduction to us in a different place on this site but Kevin thought I should post here so for those of you who already saw this, my apologies for repeating.

Hi Barth owners. We are Bob and Yvonne Miller, located in White Bear Lake, MN and have recently purchased a Barth. It is a 97 38ft Monarch, previously owned by our friends Ed and Deb Richardson of Ortona, FL. We have known Ed and Deb since 2012 as we winter across the street from them. I have followed Barth since the mid 80s as a quality built coach so I was familiar with them as opposed to many people I talk with who never heard of them.

We took our time and drove it home a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed our trip as well as getting used to the Barth. We are not new to motor homes as we have owned a 1978 GMC motorhome that we bought in 1982. We raised our two daughters in it and have restored it a couple of times so I think I know every nut, bolt and mechanical part in it. It is a beauty and plan to keep it because it is part of the family.

We will be attending the Barth get together in Minnesota in June and look forward to meeting Dana and everyone else who will be there. I will post pics later as I have not uploaded any yet.

Bob. (have not yet set up the info for the signature)

Posts: 43 | Location: White Bear Lake, MN  | Member Since: 03-24-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
Back in early December of 2019 I was responding to a post of a Barth that was posted for sale on Barthmobile.com . Then a fellow Barther posted and said he had one he was considering selling because his new job didn't allow him time to use it . I contacted him immediately and he sent me pictures . He is now a long haul truck driver and is gone around 21 days a month . We scheduled to meet in January 2020 to make the sale . A few days before scheduled date , he contacted me and said they had decided not to sale because they loved the coach so much . I told him I understood and no hard feelings .
I kept in touch with him over the next few months .
In September of 2020 after I had texted and asked how they were doing , he said they still haven't had time to use the coach and maybe it was time to sell it instead of just letting it set . We arrived on September 28 to look it over and test drive it . we really liked the coach , just what we were looking for . Unfortunately , the air compressor wouldn't build any air . We worked on it all day and determined it would need a new compressor . I agreed that if he bought the compressor I would return and install it . He bought the compressor , and we planned to return in late October to install it . Life got in the way and it was five months later before we able to get back to the coach . March 1st 2021 we finally made it there . March 2nd I put the compressor on . Unfortunately it had a coolant line fitting leaking . The morning of March 3rd , I replaced the coolant line and all was good . We drove it , tested all systems and bought it . Now it's here and we start getting it ready for our travels

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If someone could resize my picture , that would be nice Smiler

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
What a good looking dog (Sam). You must be very proud of him. He's deserving of a ride in that thing in the background. ROTFLMAO

'92 Breakaway
Cummins 190hp, No Modifications
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank You , but He is a She...lol.
Sam is short for Samantha Smiler
Today is her birthday , she is twelve .

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
Kevin suggested I post the story of buying my Barth, and how I bought it at auction, and then used the value of the rig to finance the truck mechanic. Well, I already posted something, in 2008, and I have a link to it.

https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...061/m/4471045991/p/1

It has been a great experience owning this. Not only have I had a chance to see some of the most spectacular sites in the country with my family, I have been given the chance to learn about rivets, welding, parts sourcing, vintage wiring, galvanic corrosion, Ebay purchase methods, research on gmpartswiki.com, and I have also met a great bunch of Barth owners as well in this website and in real life.

I hope to see you on the road,
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 523 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post