Forums    Misc. and Other Stuff    Service Change!
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Service Change!
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
posted Hide Post
The siren speaker is still behind the grill, but there no sign of the electronics...

The horn does not work either, but she has some air horns and compressor so it is probably a loose wire some place...I'll get her going.

Dash fans work though! and there is enough radio equipment wiring that she could have a killer sound system installed, in Tenn.... Click

Doug Bywaters
Near Skyline Drive Virginia!

Posts: 101 | Location: Flint Hill VA | Member Since: 09-29-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bywaters:
The siren speaker is still behind the grill

Hmmmm.........I wonder if you have the special order Police Pursuit engine as well. Maybe mine isn't so fast, after all. Frowner

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I figger it can't be much over 750 HP - bored, stroked, 32V overhead cam, dual turbos, and nitro...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
posted Hide Post
Only 750 hp?

well, there is no wires connected to the speaker..shucks...

Air horn compressor is DOA, and the tag axle compressor is blowing fuses.

I have a question for Bill H, how much pressure should the tag axle air bags have in them? The adjustment valves are screwed up so I might have to inflate with a compressor. I believe there should be some air on them to prevent them from bouncing or locking up when the brakes are applied. When I bought it "home" this spring the compressor did work and pumped them up pretty high, to the point that the coach would not pull it's self through wet grass (because the drive axle had little weight on it)

I know there is a happy medium some place..

Doug Bywaters
Near Skyline Drive Virginia!

Posts: 101 | Location: Flint Hill VA | Member Since: 09-29-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I got the Hadley 850D compressor for the horns here, after tracking down non-existant (after replacing all the tubing to the tank) leaks - which were actually the compressor not compressing.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Hey Doug,
You had a chance to look at our electrical system at the GTG & Jim said you gave him instruction on what we could do. Will you write down what you told him so if there is a hic up our son in law can read & give us direction based on the suggestions you made.
Thanks,
Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bywaters:

I have a question for Bill H, how much pressure should the tag axle air bags have in them? The adjustment valves are screwed up so I might have to inflate with a compressor. I believe there should be some air on them to prevent them from bouncing or locking up when the brakes are applied. When I bought it "home" this spring the compressor did work and pumped them up pretty high, to the point that the coach would not pull it's self through wet grass (because the drive axle had little weight on it)

I know there is a happy medium some place..

Hi Doug, Sorry for missing this earlier.............Anybody should PM me if I don't answer anything directed to me in a day or so.

Short answer: 20 lbs max for a single wheel tag axle. 3 lbs is min. Of course, you can use up to a hundred pounds for leveling on site.

Long answer: Check your E mail for the Neway tag axle manual.

As far as the compressor goes, any compressor that will get you to 20 lbs will do, as long as it has a way to shut it off at 20 psi. Either the driver or automatic. In the even of a pump faillure, look for a Tee in the line from the pump to allow a manual tire pump to do the job.

Tell more about your compressor problem. Is it possible that it is just overloading itself at too high a pressure?

That is interesting about the wet grass. I have had interesting times where my driveway meets the street. I have learned to deflate my tag completely before entering, and then stopping as soon as the hitch is about to drag and over-inflating the tag bags to avoid hanging up. Otherwise, I get hung up with the drive axle spinning and the hitch so buried in the blacktop that I can go neither forward or backward.

From an earlier post:

When I first bought my tag Barth, there was a tail dragging issue. This was before I added the drive axle air bags and training wheels on the hitch. As I entered my sloping driveway with the obligatory gutter dip, the hitch began to cut gouges in the asphalt of the street. So I backed up, inflated the tag axle bags to a higher pressure for more rear clearance(pretty smart, huh?) and tried again. Well, with the tag bags fully inflated, my drive wheels dropped in to the dip where the driveway starts and lost traction due to much more weight being carried by the tag, and unfortunately, the hitch. Oh, the blue burnt rubber cloud was something to see (and smell).

So, there I was, hung up with the rear hitch dug into its own furrow in the blacktop, blocking traffic, unable to go forward or backward, and no traction. All I needed was Eyewitness News.

This was a Saturday afternoon, and all the neighbors had come out to see what caused the smell. One thing I learned, was just how witty my neighbors could be. I am the neighborhood wiseass, but I was the butt of everyone else's humor that day. One lady showed up with a tray of snacks, and another ran a cord to a blender and made margaritas. Since I had blocked most traffic in the street, it was a block party and I was the entertainment.

My driveway (and the street) was blocked by the coach, and the 4WD as in the street, so I had to unbolt the winch from the 4WD, drill a hole in the concrete driveway to anchor it, and rig up a battery connection to pull the MH forward out of the dip. Fortunately, as per my usual overkill, the 4WD was equipped with a winch that would lift twice the vehicle's weight straight up. I used a snatch block anyway, just to add to the complexity and drama of the event.

I now have air bags on the drive axle and training wheels on the frame. And I lay a plank in the dip, and deflate the tag bags when entering my *&%$@#^ driveway. Even so, I need a bit of momentum and perfect alignment to accomplish the maneuver. As I enter the driveway under power, the drive axle unloads a little, and the right pair of tires will lay rubber.

I now have air bags on the drive axle and training wheels on the frame. And I lay a plank in the dip, and deflate the tag bags when entering my *&%$@#^ driveway. Even so, I need a bit of momentum to accomplish the maneuver.

As I enter the driveway under power, the drive axle unloads a little, and the right pair of tires will lay rubber. This maneuver is further complicated by the mandatory turning required whenever a car is parked across the street, so the neighbors are still entertained and traffic is still blocked, although only momentarily.

Anyone got a good way to remove the rubber streaks from the sidewalk?

Some time later, I forgot all I learned and got hung up on a neighbor’s driveway just turning around, but with considerably less drama. Took less than half an hour that time.

I had a similar event at a particular intersection in Blythe, involving a rented dolly dragging a hors de combat 4WD home from the Arizona desert. It had a killer dip, and the rented dolly required that I invert my hitch slide-in, compromising my ground clearance abaft. The police were directing traffic and the city workers were there to watch me use my folding Army entrenching tool to dig up their blacktop to free a too-low hitch. As soon as I was done, they applied the cold patch material they had brought with them. Neighbors contributed advice and opinions, offered tools, but no Margaritas. I almost expected some enterprising youngster to set up a lemonade stand.

Everyone was very blasé about it happening again. It was a common occurrence at that intersection, and everybody dealt with it well, showing much previous experience. The ruts and patches in the road, and the debris in the gutter kept me from feeling like the Lone Ranger. I later spoke with a councilman who is a good friend, and he told they were very aware of that intersection, and very concerned, and told me how much it would cost to redo that intersection. Millions. Also had to rebuild my step (again) after that one.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post