Tools
Reply To This Topic

Hurricane Irma
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Some gas additives work well. Techron (a Chevron product) is excellent. SeaFoam was a latecomer to my list, recommended by my mechanic. Both are effective on carburetors as well as FI systems. But putting SeaFoam in the crankcase...spend your money on a lottery ticket instead.

No known lubricating oil additives do anything positive, and many have serious shortcomings. Even some independents make superb lubes. I run Kendall synthetic MO in my Toyota Sienna. And IMHO, Kendall is the King of diffy gear oils. I have no reservations about running Valvoline and Castrol.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The HVAC guys were here today, and they made some progress.

The painters stained the doors, baseboards, and door brickmolds.

And StaRV II is back in its lair, since the river has retreated to be within its banks.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Rusty your river is retreating, all that snow is melting in Minnesnowta and the Mississippi is going into flood here next week...no bass fishing lol

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2056 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Having had 54" in the first floor following Irma, I'm not too concerned about the Mississippi. I do sympathize with those folks who endure chronic flooding there, however.

As for fishing, the Santa Fe River here dried up for several days in April '17. I have discovered that the local seafood shop sells fish actually cleaned and ready to cook!

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I know everyone's excited by what stuff I'm replacing. java

Today yielded 60V Greenworks weed whacker and leaf blower, on sale at Lowe's.

FedEx brought a Canon EOS 800D (T7i) replacing the soggy 300D (Base Rebel) and updated 18mm-55mm and 55mm-250mm stabilized lenses, from woot.com (always low prices).

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Today yielded 60V Greenworks weed whacker and leaf blower, on sale at Lowe's.

Rusty, you will like Green Works, good stuff. I have the 80 volt version and use it every week maybe even a couple of times a week. The battery will last almost as long as I do, haha.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Finally blew the leaves (about 2" deep) off the driveway.

The HVAC guys finished up the A/C installation yesterday, except for the HRU that heats the water from the A/C. Left the A/C running to dehumidify the house, although RH here has been relatively low.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The A/C installer finished and tested the A/C, including the heat recovery unit, and everything is "go".

Flooring people are supposed to show up today (Weds), but I suggested it would be better for the painters to finish beforehand.

I sent an order off to Amazon for the remaining photography items, key fobs, multimeter, TV rabbit, electronic dog collars, Dremel moto-tool kit, etc

From NewEgg will come the BR TV. The original survived direct flooding, but days and days in the humidity before it could be retrieved pretty much toasted the innards. How times change...the new 50" 4K HDR TV costs within a few bucks of the 32" 1080P back 8 years ago.

While I lost a lot of tools, loans to others saved many - Nick Cagle has some, as does a another resident of DAV. Looks like lending out benefited me more than them

Mid-June is starting to look realistic for moving back into the house...only 9 months in the Barth...

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Geez Rusty what an ordeal. I guess that's the not so great part about living in Florida. Having it all new might feel good though. The loss of "stuff" that can not be replaced is the real hard part, I bet.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2056 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Fortunately the books, photos, home entertainment, computers, are all upstairs, as are the kitchen and dining rooms. And a lot of the stuff from downstairs (mostly g gage model railroad stuff) is at my GA place.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The vinyl flooring is done (only the bedroom will be carpeted). The carpenters finished up most of their work, including baseboards and brick molds. The workshop walls have been finished with 1/2" ply.

Hopefully the workshop will be completed next week, so I can stared reclaiming tools from the debris...

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Idle hands being the Devil's workshop, I've been piddling with miscellany.

I buffed out the headlight covers on the Sienna, which came out like new. The ones on the Escalade were just plain shot, and the PO had installed HID low beams (I hate the color temp on HIDs) and the DRLs were burned out, so I replaced the assemblies, and it's made a big difference.

Yesterday, I replaced the fog lights. Why many cars have these beat up (the ones on the Escalade were glassless and the reflectors were toast) mystifies me.

A pesky "Service Engine Soon" light lept throwing "emission control" codes to the OBD II reader. After refueling, I put the cap back on, and the code cleared. head bang

I expect the plumbers next week to install the bathroom sinks and reset the toilet. Then I can move the washer and dryer into the laundry closet and the water can be turned on for good (and the new icemaker line can start earning its keep). I may bronze the ice cube trays and mount on the wall or the mantle...

The next couple of days will be spent enjoying the proceeds from TS Alberto; The river's well down within its banks, so I don't expect to have to move the Barth up the drive...but I'm ready.

The new backup generator has a 120V 30A outlet, with which I'll power the Barth should power go out (already proved its worth) - being 100' away, it's quieter than the Barth's Honda.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Geez.. Rusty I hope Alberto did not redo any damage to your place, is all ok??

P30 chassis
350 engine

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Although Alberto affected areas to the east and west of me, here, it was a non-event.

I bought a bed while the Memorial Day mattress sales were on - BIG savings.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
After a week of no subs showing up, and not hearing from the supervisor, I laid some wood on him (trying to get over my shyness). Suddenly, folks are showing up...Carpenters here today, plumber tomorrow, tile guy some time this week, carpet guy Wednesday. Goal is to be able to do laundry Thursday.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke