Reply To This Topic

Hurricane Irma
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
WOW confusion
Did you tip him? Thumbs Up

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
R+L forbids tipping. The driver said that management will wonder why a simple delivery took an hour, and with what I told him, he said he'd have fun ripping the dispatcher...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The generator's set up, needing only a few things to test run. Decided to upgrade the 10/3 cable to 8/4, making grounding easier, and providing for 50A current (and being able to use the L40-50P plug, identical to RV 50A plugs).

The genset can only produce 38A. The manual disconnect I bought years ago is rated at 100A...and service here is 200A.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
R+L forbids tipping.
Many business do not allow tipping. I would bet the driver would have honored your offer to buy him lunch.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
When I lived in Ann Arbor they had strict city rules about how the garbage could be packaged, containers, sizes, weight, etc.

Whenever I had a questionable pile I made sure to "throw out" a cold six pack on top of the pile. They always took everything I left! ROTFLMAO

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5189 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
We have no trash collection here; we have to take waste to collection stations. Except for me; I currently have a dumpster in my yard (for remediation and construction waste).

I got the wheels and backstand on the generator yesterday. It's amazing how not having all my "stuff" makes for a challenge. The wood blocks I used to use for propping up the lawn mower, etc. washed away. So I used a fire extinguisher and an old tree limb to block up the genset to install the wheels and stand...

Today's gun show yielded my last replacement, a Mossberg .22.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Finished setting up the new generator today, and test ran it for 15 minutes. Can't do the breakin routine until I get the new cable and hook it up to the transfer switch.

It started quickly and ran smoothly. It's noticeably quieter than the B&S-powered genset it replaces.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The drywall truck showed up today, While I cleared the driveway for its access, it used its onboard crane to off load the boards. It was interesting to see the operator use his 40' boom to thread through the trees and to lower the load for the shortest trip for the crew.

Finished the mods to the air compressor today without breaking anything.

Electrician arrives tomorrow to fix what the prior electrical contractor broke or failed to diagnose (but I didn't - made a list). Scariest is that the prior electrician miswired several outlets - reversing hot and neutral connections. That sort of stupidity can get someone killed.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
This could be interesting; the plasterers are due in today (Weds), but the drywall is not complete; even the corner beads are still in the box.

On another note, my beloved Marlin .44 magnum carbine has come back from the gunsmith, and he did a terrific job. This gun ain't for sale, because I bought it from one of my sailors who needed a down payment on a decent trumpet. It worked for both of us, because he was, for obvious reasons, called "Sweet Lips Brown". It's not for sale because Brown was killed a few years later, and it's a memento of one of my best sailors.

My brother-in-law likes it, because we were hunting deer in the brush when we irritated a large boar. BiL put 3 or more .30-30 rounds into it, and it kept coming. One shot from the .44, and we had bacon...

And the new washer and dryer are sitting idle in the carport.

SteveVW will be pleased to know the Escalade is back after a minor, but important, repair, so he won't have to sit cross-legged in the back of the Sienna.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The last of the drywall is up, and the plasterers finished today; painters come Tuesday.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Got the primary backup generator fired up today, and powered the part of the house it's designed to power. All went well. I hope to unpack the backup backup generator later today and prepare it for breaking in.

Also have a replacement vise to install on the vintage workbench I built around '75, which is a survivor, having been parked outside for 3 years and then the flood. I never thought using galvanized fasteners would pay off when I built it.

Later: It was sprinkling, so I deferred the backup backup genset until later and cleaned up the Ruger .40 S&W. Amazingly, after 10 days submerged, there was no rust, but I did have to clean off some minimal river residue. Glad I opted for the SS model when I bought it...

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Got the backup backup generator (Wen 2000W inverter) set up today. Yanked on the recoil starter about 25 times, without the slightest sound of the engine firing.

Did some other stuff around the house, then, on my way back to the Barth, decided to give it one more pull. It started right up and ran well, and passed the load tests.... head bang

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
if at first you don't succeed try, try, try, try... etc...quit then try again! Einstein wasn't always right. Fill the float bowl thingy?

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The Wen is in an enclosure; the only things easily accessible are the spark plug and dipstick. I'd prefer access to the fuel shutoff, but this is an updated version to the one lost in the flood, and it seemed not to gum up the bowl. Of course, a bit of SeaFoam in the tank , as well as Sta-Bil, helps.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Of course, a bit of SeaFoam in the tank , as well as Sta-Bil, helps.

Rusty I never thought I would hear you be an advocate of these products. I guess in the gas not in the oil..right?? lol

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2060 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post