Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

conveyance
 Login now/Join our community

posted
i would like to not tow vehicle but understand need for trips for items without unhooking etc.what are members thoughts on this e.g. moped bikes smallest tow vehicles et al.,any thoughts,inputs
thanx,patnpat

Posts: 48 | Location: gilroy ca | Member Since: 11-15-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I just met with Tom Loughney today, and he had a large, two-seater motor scooter on a platform on his hitch receiver.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PATNPAT:
i would like to not tow vehicle but understand need for trips for items without unhooking etc.what are members thoughts on this e.g. moped bikes smallest tow vehicles et al.,any thoughts,inputs
thanx,patnpat

It depends.

Solo or with passenger?

Distance traveled?

Road....flat, hilly, freeway?

Off-road, too?

I have done a lot of it, from moped to full-sized motorcycle, on front, on back, trailing along with the rear wheel down, etc, but it depends on your needs and wants.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
bill h brings up an issue I forgot to mention about Tom's scooter - it's got a 260cc engine, giving plenty of power for two people regardless of terrain. Many of the scooters have only 75 or 90 cc engines, and they're pretty anemic. MoPeds tend to have less power than that.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
If a large scooter/motorcycle scenario presents weight problems on a hitch-receiver setup, you might consider a swivel wheel platform...It's pretty much a self-supporting extension of your chassis without the normal hassles of a trailer.

http://www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheel.html

Bicycling is good exercize and great for near-by traveling, but longer distances & hills present their own challenges....For that, maybe a pedal-assist package is worth looking into.....

http://www.bikeengines.com/

And don't forget the classic Whizzer!

http://whizzermotorbike.com/

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
For road conveyance the Susuki 400cc and 650 Bergman or 250 Honda Reflex are popular with Rvers. The big 650 Bergman scooter is a 75 mph highway cruiser.
Don

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
I have the Yamaha Morphous which is 250cc like the Honda and legal for interstate. Have not attempted to take it with me as I only stay a couple of days and either have it on hand or do without lol. I do have trailer that I could use, but have never felt the need.

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/09
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
I have yet to tow anything behind the Stagecoach. That will obviously change by the time we are ready to head east for the big 2009 Washington DC GTG. I'm trying to figure out how to pull our 2004 Olds Silhouette (Mini-Van) along with a Honda Goldwing. Personally, I'd be scared to death to have one of those swivel wheel setups. If it is bigger than the 4X6' pictured, it looks like a tremendous amount of overhang and an accident waiting to happen.

Bill, Sharron, Hayley and Bridgett

1990 38' Regency Widebody [RDG-B), Anniversary Edition, Cat 3208TA - 300HP, Gillig Chassis, Side Aisle

"Stagecoach"
1990 38' Regency Widebody (RDG-B)
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Posts: 480 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Member Since: 04-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i was thinking of short aesy trips to srores.what about smallest known options for towing?thanks for moped etc scooter comments.

Posts: 48 | Location: gilroy ca | Member Since: 11-15-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
forgot to mention.two people requirement. also always seem to buy a lot of goodies at every opportunity therefore big baskets required. any mopeds or scooters for sale by members?

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by towerguy:
I have yet to tow anything behind the Stagecoach. That will obviously change by the time we are ready to head east for the big 2009 Washington DC GTG. I'm trying to figure out how to pull our 2004 Olds Silhouette (Mini-Van) along with a Honda Goldwing. Personally, I'd be scared to death to have one of those swivel wheel setups. If it is bigger than the 4X6' pictured, it looks like a tremendous amount of overhang and an accident waiting to happen.

I have been coveting one of these tandem tow dollies. Just need about $3,500.00.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PATNPAT:
forgot to mention.two people requirement. any mopeds or scooters for sale by members?

Having owned several, and currently owning one, I would not recommend a moped for two people. Many mopeds have inadequate suspension and/or brakes for even one full-sized adult.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
A few years back Suzie and I re-visited Bermuda, where I lived in the early 70's, and I was surprized to see the ever-present moped had been largely replaced by Chinese built scooters. We rented one and found it capable of carrying us up any hill on the island, which are numerous and steep. They have a variable speed centrifugal clutch similar to snowmobiles, and you might not get to the top of the hill fast, but you'll get there. I have no idea what they cost or if the 50cc 2 stroke would even be allowed in the states, but it sure would make a cool little bumper ornament if one could find one.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3481 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our favorite Two Wheeler is an Enfield 350..... I doubt if they are still available, but the 500CC ones are, They are dead reliable and used for touring in Nepal and places a Land Rover would be challenged.Irene and I fondly remembering hitting a sand wash and turning upside down in the middle of Nowhere Nevada...... (Or was it Utah?), and thinking as oil and petrol dripped on us "what a hell of a way for somebody to die"! Eventually we crawled out in the soft sand, restarted the Enfield and explored more remains of abandoned p
pianos, furniture and chests, before returning to Wendover and our Barth.

Posts: 114 | Location: Skamania, WA, USA | Member Since: 07-21-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Like Bill H said, 'It all depends'. Our 28' Regal can go anywhere a large van can go and it takes us about 2 minutes to unhook the electric and water and we're ready. We don't hook up the waste water until we're ready to empty the tank. Two minutes is worth a lot compared to the worry about towing anything. Now, we haven't tried it in on the sand at the beach yet!
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post