Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    need to eire battereries
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

need to eire battereries
 Login now/Join our community

<randy>
posted
I don,t know how to wire 2 deep cycle batteries in my 79 350 chevy barth.I realy need a diagramm.thanks for any help

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
It is best to work on your batteries after the engine has been shut down for quite a while, to lessen the possibility of hydrogen being present. A spark can cause an acid explosion. In any event, wear safety goggles any time you are working on or near the batteries. You only get one chance with your corneas.

Be sure both batteries are of equal capacity and age.

If they are both 12 volt batteries, both positive batt terminals are connected to each other. Both negative terminals are connected to each other. This is called parallel connection. One positive terminal is also connected to the lead that goes to the starter. It should be red. If it is not, make it red now. One negative terminal is also connected to the frame for ground. It should be black. If it is not, make it black.

Now, if you have two six volt batteries:

Connect the positive of battery "A" to the lead that goes to the starter.

Connect the negative terminal of battery "A" to the positive terminal of battery "B".

Connect the negative terminal of battery "B" to the frame ground.

This is called series connection.

Same comments on color apply, except for the short cable between the two batteries

Be sure the terminals are clean.

Use a battery terminal spray coating.

Keep a wrench taped near the batts to disconnect quickly in an emergency. Or use a "green knob" if there is room. The green knob is handy for assuring a complete battery shut off for storage, too.

If this is not clear, I will hunt up a diagram.

[This message has been edited by bill h (edited June 07, 2003).]

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post