Barthmobile Portal
need to eire battereries

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3631087061/m/6001018061

06-07-2003, 09:24 PM
<randy>
need to eire battereries
I don,t know how to wire 2 deep cycle batteries in my 79 350 chevy barth.I realy need a diagramm.thanks for any help
06-08-2003, 12:56 AM
bill h
It is best to work on your batteries after the engine has been shut down for quite a while, to lessen the possibility of hydrogen being present. A spark can cause an acid explosion. In any event, wear safety goggles any time you are working on or near the batteries. You only get one chance with your corneas.

Be sure both batteries are of equal capacity and age.

If they are both 12 volt batteries, both positive batt terminals are connected to each other. Both negative terminals are connected to each other. This is called parallel connection. One positive terminal is also connected to the lead that goes to the starter. It should be red. If it is not, make it red now. One negative terminal is also connected to the frame for ground. It should be black. If it is not, make it black.

Now, if you have two six volt batteries:

Connect the positive of battery "A" to the lead that goes to the starter.

Connect the negative terminal of battery "A" to the positive terminal of battery "B".

Connect the negative terminal of battery "B" to the frame ground.

This is called series connection.

Same comments on color apply, except for the short cable between the two batteries

Be sure the terminals are clean.

Use a battery terminal spray coating.

Keep a wrench taped near the batts to disconnect quickly in an emergency. Or use a "green knob" if there is room. The green knob is handy for assuring a complete battery shut off for storage, too.

If this is not clear, I will hunt up a diagram.

[This message has been edited by bill h (edited June 07, 2003).]