Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Changing out P30 steering column
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Changing out P30 steering column
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted
I have a question. I have a 1984 Barth Regal 34 ft. I also have 3 boys, ages 1, 3, & 4. I would like to change out the non-lockable steering column for a later model column with the key/lock in the column...so the boys can't inadvertantly knock it out of PARK. Has anyone ever done this before? I've seen later Barths have this column and I wondered how easy the change out would be...most problematic might be the wiring...Any ideas?

Thanks, K&E

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K&E:
I have a question. I have a 1984 Barth Regal 34 ft. I also have 3 boys, ages 1, 3, & 4. I would like to change out the non-lockable steering column for a later model column with the key/lock in the column...so the boys can't inadvertantly knock it out of PARK. Has anyone ever done this before? I've seen later Barths have this column and I wondered how easy the change out would be...most problematic might be the wiring...Any ideas?

Thanks, K&E

Your concern is well-founded. I used to know a couple whose Barth was taken out of park by their dog, and it rolled downhill into a gas station. No disaster, but coulda been bad.

When my boys were young and prone to do such things, on my truck which was parked in my sloped driveway, I used a Master Lock Adjustable Shackle Padlock and a block to prevent lifting the shift lever. The lock fit over the lever and wheel rim, with the grooved block held tightly between.

Also a poor man's Club.

No lift lever or turn wheel.

This is an extra step whenever you park, but nothing near the effort involved in a steering column changeout.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
If you check with IDIDIT Steering they make direct GM replacement colmns with all the newest features - tilt, telescope, washer.signals etc. They have bolt ins for any make. Google IDIDIT.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post