Barthmobile Portal
Changing out P30 steering column

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3631087061/m/265100642

02-20-2010, 10:00 PM
K&E
Changing out P30 steering column
I have a question. I have a 1984 Barth Regal 34 ft. I also have 3 boys, ages 1, 3, & 4. I would like to change out the non-lockable steering column for a later model column with the key/lock in the column...so the boys can't inadvertantly knock it out of PARK. Has anyone ever done this before? I've seen later Barths have this column and I wondered how easy the change out would be...most problematic might be the wiring...Any ideas?

Thanks, K&E
02-20-2010, 10:25 PM
bill h
quote:
Originally posted by K&E:
I have a question. I have a 1984 Barth Regal 34 ft. I also have 3 boys, ages 1, 3, & 4. I would like to change out the non-lockable steering column for a later model column with the key/lock in the column...so the boys can't inadvertantly knock it out of PARK. Has anyone ever done this before? I've seen later Barths have this column and I wondered how easy the change out would be...most problematic might be the wiring...Any ideas?

Thanks, K&E

Your concern is well-founded. I used to know a couple whose Barth was taken out of park by their dog, and it rolled downhill into a gas station. No disaster, but coulda been bad.

When my boys were young and prone to do such things, on my truck which was parked in my sloped driveway, I used a Master Lock Adjustable Shackle Padlock and a block to prevent lifting the shift lever. The lock fit over the lever and wheel rim, with the grooved block held tightly between.

Also a poor man's Club.

No lift lever or turn wheel.

This is an extra step whenever you park, but nothing near the effort involved in a steering column changeout.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered
02-21-2010, 08:32 PM
Tom and Julie
If you check with IDIDIT Steering they make direct GM replacement colmns with all the newest features - tilt, telescope, washer.signals etc. They have bolt ins for any make. Google IDIDIT.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny