Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    TV wall mount. What is the wall made of??
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

TV wall mount. What is the wall made of??
 Login now/Join our community

"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted
Interested in adding a TV to my 1987 coach.

Because counter space is such a premium, and I have a large wall space that is not being used, I figured that a wall mount would be the perfect solution for a 13" TV/VCR combo.

Figure the weight of such a combo would be less than 25 pounds, and that a floor-to-ceiling external wall stud would be the ticket. I could then bolt the TV mount into the external stud (Made from fine finish Oak to match wall wood) and the entire wall would carry the load since I plan on securing the external stud with screws every 10 inches

Question is: Does this sound like a workable and secure solution? What is the wall made of? I can't find any place in my coach to get a look behind it. Are there wood studs in their walls, or are they all aluminum construction with plywood covering?

This would be a lot easier if I knew what the wall layer was made up of..

Thanks to all.

Posts: 178 | Location: Lancaster, PA USA | Member Since: 07-30-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Hi Windsor,

I would not hesitate to attach the TV bracket if you know that your are on a stud, however, I would not transport the TV in that position. You really need either roof or floor support to carry a heavy TV in transit.

------------------
Shortcuts Always Take Longer

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
Well, that front overhead idea is a possibility. Only concern is that of vehicle inspection, as my state says TV's cannot be viewable from the drivers seat..for obvious reasons I suppose.

I was also thinking of fabricating a pole between the cabinet and floor, which would require a bit more work, but it might be more secure.

Posts: 178 | Location: Lancaster, PA USA | Member Since: 07-30-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post