Barthmobile Portal
TV wall mount. What is the wall made of??

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3631087061/m/1991097061

09-29-2002, 06:46 PM
Windsor Dalrymple
TV wall mount. What is the wall made of??
Interested in adding a TV to my 1987 coach.

Because counter space is such a premium, and I have a large wall space that is not being used, I figured that a wall mount would be the perfect solution for a 13" TV/VCR combo.

Figure the weight of such a combo would be less than 25 pounds, and that a floor-to-ceiling external wall stud would be the ticket. I could then bolt the TV mount into the external stud (Made from fine finish Oak to match wall wood) and the entire wall would carry the load since I plan on securing the external stud with screws every 10 inches

Question is: Does this sound like a workable and secure solution? What is the wall made of? I can't find any place in my coach to get a look behind it. Are there wood studs in their walls, or are they all aluminum construction with plywood covering?

This would be a lot easier if I knew what the wall layer was made up of..

Thanks to all.
09-30-2002, 01:54 AM
davebowers
Hi Windsor,

I would not hesitate to attach the TV bracket if you know that your are on a stud, however, I would not transport the TV in that position. You really need either roof or floor support to carry a heavy TV in transit.

------------------
Shortcuts Always Take Longer
09-30-2002, 04:41 AM
Windsor Dalrymple
Well, that front overhead idea is a possibility. Only concern is that of vehicle inspection, as my state says TV's cannot be viewable from the drivers seat..for obvious reasons I suppose.

I was also thinking of fabricating a pole between the cabinet and floor, which would require a bit more work, but it might be more secure.