Tools
Reply To This Topic

454 HO engine swap
 Login now/Join our community

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Looks like it would work better than a shopping cart! (Don't laugh, I have actually seen 2 guys rolling a V8 engine down the sidewalk in a shopping cart!) ROTFLMAO Being more of a wood butcher than a metal maker, I'll probably go with a crate.

Now that I think of it, considering all the other stuff I've done, seems odd I never learned to arc weld. I'm OK with a torch but I never had a welder around to play with. Besides it helps to have friends who are good welders.

(Does welding gold bridges in Dental school count?... Yeah I spent 3 yrs at U of M Dental school... class of 1980. Decided to teach high school instead and have summers off like my wife... long story, thread drift buzzer is wailing.)

Maybe I'll just get a couple Sumo wrestlers to grab the 454 and toss it around for me.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5180 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Steve, when were you at U of M? I was there from 1956 to 1960 and I'm guessing it was several years before you were in dental school.
I like the Sumo wrestler idea. But they might be wider than the 454 ROTFLMAO
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:

I like the Sumo wrestler idea. But they might be wider than the 454 ROTFLMAO
Jim

Yes, but the Sumo might be a little more compressible than the 454 to squeeze through the door. .

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, but the Sumo might be a little more compressible than the 454 to squeeze through the door. .

Which could lead to the begining of a joke. It could start along the lines of
"What happens when you try to squeeze a 500# Sumo wrestler through a 32" wide door?".
Answer?

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
First you build a platform under the engine.

Then you build a box crate around the oil pan, attach wheels and roll it away! Mechanic

I will span the steps with a platform, roll the engine to the door and yank it out with the backhoe. The door is 24" and the 454 is 23". Thumbs Up

Phase two is almost done. The first steps on a long journey to Mary Ray in Tennessee. Tooling Along

(Brought to you by: Steve VW, pres of "Empirical Engineering! We don't measure anything, we cut it to fit...")

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5180 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:

Then you build a box crate around the oil pan, attach wheels and roll it away! :

That looks like what I use for engine storage.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
We don't measure anything, we cut it to fit...

And if it's too short, we cut it again...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
posted Hide Post
A+ for creativity Steve, kind of like dry docking you Dads boat. Nice Job!

And to think you never learned the art of arc welding. If you really want to try welding get ahold of a mig welder set the feed and power dial according to metal thickness, turn on the gas and pull the trigger. But than again that's what friends are for.

Buy the way next GTG don't forget your dental tools.

Posts: 259 | Location: SouthWest MI | Member Since: 08-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
Then you build a box crate around the oil pan,

DETAILS, details, details.... even little safety retention straps from iron block to wooden crib.

An interesting story in pictures.
I salute you, again, doc.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
DETAILS, details, details.... even little safety retention straps from iron block to wooden crib.

Those aren't safety straps those are dolly box lifting straps. Makes sure the box comes out the door with the block! Wink

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ccctimtation:

Those aren't safety straps those are dolly box lifting straps. Makes sure the box comes out the door with the block! Wink

That is exactly what I was telling a friend tonight when I described it.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
You guys should all be ashamed. Look what you've done to me. You know I am a confessed Barth junkie and still you encourage me. You're all a bunch of enablers... nono

Not just you guys that post here. You lurkers, too... I was touring the forums the other day, noticed the number of views for my threads. confusion

This thread: 1672 already.
crankshaft 6400
HEI upgrade 6000
fuel injection 5400
LED lighting 8400
brakes 3000
carb upgrades 3000
air bags, Hydroflame, trans, air dams, TV, exhaust 2000 each
headers, AC, gauges, cruise, starter, Honda gen 1000 each

Sure, keep teasing me with your attention. Thanks a lot. head bang

Seriously folks, I want to thank all of you who have looked at my projects and made so many useful comments. Collectively this is pretty good stuff for people to read, I guess.

I was pleased, not surprised, to discover that if I Google various topics on RV maintenance, many of the hits are for this site. We are highly over represented based on the small number of Barth owners, even smaller number who post threads here. The number of views continues to climb long after the thread drops off the current list, so others must be visiting. Bravo!

Actually, don't get me wrong. As I have said before, I don't really like you people. I only do this to document how special and uniquely well maintained my coach is, so when I sell it there will be a bidding war and I'll actually get my money out of it. ROTFLMAO

My name is Steve... I'm a Barth junkie... I better get back to work on that engine now...

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

posted Hide Post
I am a lurker....

I am currently between rides, but I love reading about what you guys are doing. I am confused however. Years ago I swapped motors (small block Chevy) in my '80's Chevy van. I took out the grille, dropped the bumper and reached in through the front with my cherry picker and and plucked out said motor. presto change.

Posts: 1 | Location: dallas, tx | Member Since: 07-15-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
The 454 big block motor is taller than it is wide. On the P3X chassis there is a frame member in front of the engine. To go out the front you have to remove the bumper, cut out the crossmember and the bottom apron of the front grill opening.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
It was another good day on the project but unfortunately I have no pictures of the actual swap.

I wheeled the old engine to the doorway. My neighbor showed up with his backhoe. He had a piece of pipe chained to the bucket, like a unicorn! We poked the pipe into the doorway, lifted the engine and he backed right out with it. It is resting near the garage.

The new engine we lifted same way, single pipe through the chain loop, up and in the door and onto the dolly! Thumbs Up

No problems really. The old engine made a mess when the last of the coolant decided to drain out onto the platform and the steps below. Quick cleanup, then the new engine went right into the cradle. GM puts nice brass freeze plugs in the new block but the paint will need touchup on the block.

Unfortunately I was too busy too take pictures, the whole swap only took about 15 minutes.

Now to lower the 454 HO beast into place! Mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp