Tools
Reply To This Topic

454 HO engine swap
 Login now/Join our community

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Listen carefully for the sound of the 454 HO in its' new habitat. See how the beast comes to life...

Started right up! Thumbs Up Ran a bit lumpy until fuel pressure was stable and all air was out of lines. No leaks, oil pressure 50 lbs at idle. It appears the fuel injection is already pretty close. The fast and slow idle rpms were about right.

I still have to set the timing (I eyeballed it when I installed the distributor, within 2 degrees I'm sure), refill the cooling system now that it got air out too and install the right side air dam.

So far, so good! I will road test tomorrow. Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5186 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
WAY TO GO, Steve!
must have been music to your ears cheers

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Thumbs Up

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Thumbs Up

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/16
Picture of Quinn
posted Hide Post
Wow! Way to go!

Posts: 235 | Location: San Leandro, California | Member Since: 08-06-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
cheers Superman

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sandytoes
posted Hide Post
Nice and clean engine bay. Great job, thanks for the updates. Congratulations.

Posts: 80 | Location: Duncan, BC Canada | Member Since: 05-31-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I still haven't road tested. The timing is set, (I was 2 degrees off) engine runs well so far. The fuel system is having difficulty with stable fuel pressure, so I am making mods to eliminate the restrictions in fuel feed lines. (separate thread)
I did move it a few feet! Tooling Along

Unfortunately, I must have disturbed the rear brake line when I played with the fuel lines and now I have a leaking rear brake line. All the front lines have been replaced, as well as the rear axle line but the main line down the frame has finally failed. It will be the last line to replace. It is many feet long but runs straight down the frame. I will replace the entire run from front to back, obviously should have done it sooner.

3 feet forward, 2 feet back... head bang

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5186 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Fuel system is now functional. Removed pump and strainer from fuel tank, replaced with straight pipe. Installed large inline filter for each tank, replaced rusted fuel lines from tank to filter and selector valve. (See the thread on fuel system mods) Fuel pressure comes up quickly and pressure is stable. Thumbs Up

One brake line to replace (tomorrow?) and finally a road test! Tooling Along

I hope to have it ready for Barthtober this weekend, if not I'll drive my truck! cheers

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Better hurry, Steve. The snow is coming Big Grin

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
We're not talking about the "s" word. nono (Last year we had snow on Oct 23 and it stayed till late April.)

Raining again today... head bang

Looks like I'll drive to Ohio in my pickup with my Barth donor parts. Looking forward to seeing the group again. cheers

As long as I can get to Florida with 86Barth I'll be happy. (I'd go in Dec if I could talk my wife into it. A lot depends on her 97 yr old father's health)

I will get the brakes done next week for sure.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:
Fuel system is now functional. Removed pump and strainer from fuel tank, replaced with straight pipe.

Anyone have an idea on why fuel pumps are in the tank? I remember the '50s 6X6 GMC trucks had a pump in the tank, but didn't see any more until the '80s. I have had to replace every one on my vehicles, and outside would be easier. Even my motorcycle has a pump in the tank.

I can see the benefit of cooler running of a higher fuel pressure pump for an FI system, but can't think of a reason for a carb engine to have a pump in the tank.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Vac is less than -15psi while pumps will go higher. When moving volatile liquids a long way positive pressure has fewer problems than vac.

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Yup, pressurizing the line reduces vapor lock. If we follow the evolution of the P3X we see first engine pump only (lots of vapor lock with the long hot suction line run from tank to engine.) Then they added a frame mounted inline pump to push gas to the engine pump. Much better. Then came the in tank pumps, not sure why...

When something doesn't make sense, I always follow the money. I suspect that the in tank pump is cheaper. No suction lines, mounting brackets, or threaded fittings on the lines, etc required. No priming problems when dry either.

I, too have replaced several of these cursed pumps. The only time my faithful 20 yr old Ranger left me standing was when the fuel pump failed... head bang

I will have to do tank 1 eventually to get rid of the strainer, etc. Meanwhile at least I have one tank that is now reliable and easy to service.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ccctimtation:
Vac is less than -15psi while pumps will go higher. When moving volatile liquids a long way positive pressure has fewer problems than vac.

Yes. For sure. An external pump abaft does that as well as a submerged pump, though. And much easier to change.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post