Forums    General Discussions    Chains??
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Chains??
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Doug Smiley
posted
Does anybody use their Barth in icy/snowy conditions
that require the use of chains??
In different provinces (etc +) within Canada winter tires are mandatory....

What is your view of/on this???

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
If I needed chains I would park it and wait for the roads to clear, but then I live in AZ. Last recorded snow fall was 1933. Sorry, but just could not resist.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
If they use salt on the roads like they do here, driving in winter as I have done twice, I have seen more corrosion underneath on chassis. For its age my coach has little rust but what it has was much worse in just the last 2 years. I will not run in salt again.

As for clean snow, I guess it wouldn't be too bad. My coach tracks straight, front brakes lock before rear brakes but it stays pointed straight. With the weight we have on our tires, I don't think snow tires would make much difference.

It would be a real pain to use chains, I don't think they would have clearance between the dual tires.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5182 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post