Tools
Reply To This Topic

Racing to Indiana
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted
So, how can I get to the Barthmobile get together this June from the Great American RV Rally in Hutchison Kansas? Any thoughts on roads, rest stop areas (for sleep) and how long it should take? For a fast trip, I normally drive for 3 hours and then take a nap, and then off again for another 3 hours of driving. Those 3 hours normally get me about 150 miles or more. This translates to about 600 miles in a 24 hour period. The Great American RV Rally ends on June 24th, but I probably will leave on at noon on the 23rd.
Any thoughts? (the Barthmobile board is quiet, so I thought I�d ask this question now)

------------------

89 Barth Regal 32
Runs like a Deere
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/08
posted Hide Post
Hey!I think I 70 to Indianapolis,North on 31 to South Bend.Dave can tell you how to get to the campground from there.

------------------
Jay&Shelby 95 Regency 34ft. 300 hp.

Posts: 134 | Location: Harriman,Tn.U.S.A. | Member Since: 01-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jack, I would suggest you not head east to Indy as getting to Bremen, In. from here is a mulitude of stop signs. Map quest says KS-61 N to I-135 N/US-81 N to I-70 E to I-270 N to I-55 N to I-80 E to US-31-BYP to US-31 S which becomes US-20 E then take IN-331 exit toward MISHAWAKA/BREMEN right on US-331 W to Bremen. It is 862 miles this was, and 866 thru Indy, but stop and go from Indy is a killer. I am not picking on Jay's thoughts, its just that US-31 N has become so heavy and it is not always a 4 lane highway. See you soon. Dale P.S. You sure shift a lot, I bet your arm is wore out. Neat tag.

[This message has been edited by DALE SMITH (edited January 14, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by DALE SMITH (edited January 14, 2004).]

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Dale,it been years since I've been on 31n,but the best way to get something going is to throw out something.I need to know the best route from Tenn. Will be coming by Indy I think.

------------------

[This message has been edited by bubbiebarth2 (edited January 15, 2004).]

Posts: 134 | Location: Harriman,Tn.U.S.A. | Member Since: 01-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jay, and others going thru Indy to RALLY. When Ole Dave advises more of the details maybe we can put together a mini caravan to Bremen. We have several very large shopping center parking lots along the route that would be perfect as meeting places. I will stay TUNED, and see how it plays out. Dale

[This message has been edited by DALE SMITH (edited January 15, 2004).]

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
Well I've got it all mapped out on the SA2003, and now see that Breman is spelled Bremen (see the Pla-Mor web site)
Thanks everybody for all the ideas.
Going 135 N - 70 E - 670 E -70 E - 270 E - 55 N - 80 E - 31/20 S - 331 S - 6 E and done.
5 planned stops for Rest etc. 1 Flying J for fuel and Dump tanks in KS, then 3 Walmart/Sams and one rest area in the middle of IL. Really looking forward to this.

This gives me about 16 hours driving and 14 hours of rest breaks/sleep/meals etc. I'm going to try to arrive at either noon Thursday (preferably) or noon Friday.
I�m really looking forward to this.

------------------

89 Barth Regal 32
Runs like a Deere
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jack, while you are on I-55 remember a lot of such was old ROUTE 66. I grew up in Normal, IL. Yes I know I don't act NORMAL, anyway in the 50's we did a ton of top end racing on such. As stated in a post some time ago the speed limit signs read " REASONABLE AND PROPER" We felt everything we did fell within that wordage although the fuzz had different ideas. Our poor mother, 4 teenage sons, and all hot rodders. May she rest in PEACE. She deserves it. Drive safe Jack. Dale

Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
I also grew up with a car in the fifty's and eastern Massachusetts was building a highway called Rt.128 at the time and also the Mass Turnpike, and although they were not open to drive on, we always found a way to get on the and have actual standing start drags. Your right about the parents, and can you believe it, my mother is still here to remind me of how I'm getting it back for what I did to her. ;-). Can't do the stuff I did as a kid any longer, reflexes are not good enough, although I still want and enjoy 'things that move'. Thanks for bringing those thoughts back.

------------------

89 Barth Regal 32
Runs like a Deere
New Hampshire

posted Hide Post
We sit down for two days 18 miles west of Newton Kansas on hwy 50 in 01.The campground was some kind of lake something.Missed Kansas City on the way back,came out of Nebraska,St Louis was great.

------------------

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
As you come east on 70 into St.Charles there is a good opportunity for diversion. Somewhere around mile 230 there is an exit for 370 which bypasses some of the confusion of the STL surroundings. As you approach the MO river bridge, exit at Fifth Street in St.Charles, turn south to the RV park. Teh route is well marked. There is a very good pullthru type park, the restaurant is part of a reception facility and the food is very good. The name is Beefeaters. I had a business group in last fall and took them on an evening cruise and told them that as late as we were in returning and as small the town was we would have to go the trailer park for food. From the marina thru the cornfields to the rv park the story held up until the food came.
This is the Bi-centennial for the Lewis and Clark expedition so there is likely to be something interesting going on at our riverfront thruout the year. (No matter what Pittsburg, or Wood River IL say it all started here.) If nothing special is scheduled it is still an interesting break to see the historical area which dates in parts to the late 1700's.
Tim

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
I�ve plugged in the 370 around St. Charles, and am looking at trip timing to see if that Campground/Restaurant is a viable stop. First plan put me there at about 4 am.
Another question, on the last leg, any one familiar with Rt. 6 from Lake Station City IN (exit 15 of I80/I94) or Westville IN (exit 39 I80/I94) to the campground? Does it have a scenic or other value, and/or is it a more relaxed drive than the �4 lane�?
On the trip through �Normal� where is the Rt. 66, and there again, is it a viable idea to get off the �4 lane� and drive a bit on the old Rt. 66? I�m the guy that when in London wanted to drive over the London Bridge, and was looking at and heading for the Tower Bridge, which can not be driven over, and ended up driving over the London Bridge by mistake. Of course that was before it moved to Arizona.

------------------

89 Barth Regal 32
Runs like a Deere
New Hampshire

posted Hide Post
Jack, being born in Normal,IL I know it well. They have changed a few street names but I will real soon get to you an easy route. Coming north east from Mo. you will often see the Mother road on one side of the road or the other. It is in many places a service road today. In the 50's from the south-west side of Bloomington,IL and for approx. 8 miles to Shirley, IL. it was flat and straight as an arrow, and oh how we loved top end racing on such. At the rally maybe I will be able to share a story of Jerry Unser who used Bloomington as his summer base too did top end racing on that stretch. May he rest in PEACE. I will advise the route Jack. Thanks for bringing this site back from the DEAD the past few days. Dale

posted Hide Post
Jack, I think we have this site all to ourselves. How about voting to cancel all DUES for the balance of the year. Do you think that will make Dave forget his very bad cold? You are sure doing a bunch to your Barth. Wow you are going to be able to write a BEST SELLER when you are through. Keep it up my friend. Maybe it's to cold, and everyone is under the covers. What do you think? Where are the two Bill's and that DUMB like a fox ron? We know where the Sugar's, and Jay and Shelby are. SUN SUN SUN. Can't they share? Dale

Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
The weather is not really good for much work on Barth. Since I took out the battery tray, I don't really want to drive it around, and I can only go about a week on the propane just to get inside temp up to 55 or so to do work. Cannot even bend the new pex pipe I was working on. So now I post, and buy 'stuff' for �on the road� from eBay. I make lists and use lots of post-it's.
I need to see more of the �Sugar Cruise� to Mexico. Yep, that would warm up the site.

posted Hide Post
What about re-naming this site the "Jack and Dale show"? Think anyone would mind? I DON'T THINK SO. Maybe the other members are headed to AZ. What do you think happened to them Jack? ron is probably still trying to get his scooter started, and who knows where the rest are. Maybe they are out buying POST-IT pads. Our ground hog is buried as he has for the past 29 years, so maybe members are waiting for spring. I hoping tonight will bring a couple. We will see. Dale