Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

New tires
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Pcfousj
posted
Where do you guys recommend buying new tires for a RV, other than a RV dealer repair shop. Tampa area.

1993 Breakaway Front Entry
Cummins 6BTA5.9 190HP Allison AT 542
Spartan Chassis Model No. EC 2242
9207 3810 30BS-11B

Posts: 17 | Location: Antioch, Fl. | Member Since: 12-28-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
I bought mine from the local tire shop. There are no RV repair shops in my area.

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I don't know if Lannings has a Tampa store. They have one in Sarasota. I got my Bridgestones from them. They work on the biggest trucks and RV's and I highly recommend them, even if you have to drive down to Sarasota.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
It all depends on what size tire you need, which is printed right on the sidewall of the tire. Typical rim/wheel sizes are 16", 19.5", and 22.5". My '94 Class A RV uses 16" LT (Light Truck) tires, same ones that are used on full size pickup trucks. Around $100-150 or so each. Pretty cheap compared to 22.5" big rig (diesel pusher) tires that can easily cost 3-4 times that amount.

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Tire are tires. Any tire store that services commercial vehicles should be able to fulfill your needs.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pcfousj
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions, I wasn't sure if the regular type tire shops could handle raising a RV, and removing the lugnuts. Once I got the RV home I found that I had a flat on one of the inside rears, I don't trust the others now. I don't feel comfortable driving to far for new tires. I may remove them my self once i get the correct socket and torque multiplier.

9207 3810 30BS-11B

Posts: 17 | Location: Antioch, Fl. | Member Since: 12-28-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I did this tutorial a little while ago & figured that now might be a good time to resurrect this. New and used tires - date codes and assorted tire markings.

First thing - Do not put on a tire with a P as the first number. Example P225/60R16 - These are Passenger car tires!!!

Most tire shops have a rack they go to when they sell used tires. Junk yards too... You'll just need to figure out how to read the tire code info so you don't wind up with a tire that looks good, but is older than the ones you've got on there now.

3902: 39th week of 2002.

A three digit code was used for tires manufactured before 2000. Example of one: 379 means it was manufactured in the 37th week of the 9th year from that decade.
In this case it means 1989 or 1979 or ???. confusion

Tires manufactured in the 1990s, the same sequence, but now there's a triangle Δ after the DOT code. So, a tire manufactured in the 37th week of 1999 would have the code 379Δ.

From 2000 on the 4 digit code is like above. Same rules apply. So, for example: 2701 means the tire manufacture date is... 27th week of 2001.

I copied everything below from a site that I, and probably the rest of you, are a reluctant fundraiser for... www.nhtsa.gov - seeing that we paid for this info anyway, I have no problems with copying their work.

P
The "P" indicates the tire is for passenger vehicles.

Next number
This three-digit number gives the width in millimeters of the tire from sidewall edge to sidewall edge. In general, the larger the number, the wider the tire.

Next number
This two-digit number, known as the aspect ratio, gives the tire's ratio of height to width. Numbers of 70 or lower indicate a short sidewall for improved steering response and better overall handling on dry pavement.

R
The "R" stands for radial. Radial ply construction of tires has been the industry standard for the past 20 years.

Next number
This two-digit number is the wheel or rim diameter in inches. If you change your wheel size, you will have to purchase new tires to match the new wheel diameter.

Next number
This two- or three-digit number is the tire's load index. It is a measurement of how much weight each tire can support. You may find this information in your owner's manual. If not, contact a local tire dealer. Note: You may not find this information on all tires because it is not required by law.

M+S
The "M+S" or "M/S" indicates that the tire has some mud and snow capability. Most radial tires have these markings; hence, they have some mud and snow capability.

Speed Rating
The speed rating denotes the speed at which a tire is designed to be driven for extended periods of time. The ratings range from 99 miles per hour (mph) to 186 mph. These ratings are listed below. Note: You may not find this information on all tires because it is not required by law.
Letter Rating

Speed Rating
Q: 99 mph
R: 106 mph
S: 112 mph
T: 118 mph
U: 124 mph
H: 130 mph
V: 149 mph
W: 168* mph
Y: 186* mph

* For tires with a maximum speed capability over 149 mph, tire manufacturers sometimes use the letters ZR. For those with a maximum speed capability over 186 mph, tire manufacturers always use the letters ZR.

U.S. DOT Tire Identification Number
This begins with the letters "DOT" and indicates that the tire meets all federal standards. The next two numbers or letters are the plant code where it was manufactured, and the last four numbers represent the week and year the tire was built. For example, the numbers 3107 means the 31st week of 2007. The other numbers are marketing codes used at the manufacturer's discretion. This information is used to contact consumers if a tire defect requires a recall.

Tire Ply Composition and Materials Used
The number of plies indicates the number of layers of rubber-coated fabric in the tire. In general, the greater the number of plies, the more weight a tire can support. Tire manufacturers also must indicate the materials in the tire, which include steel, nylon, polyester, and others.

Maximum Load Rating
This number indicates the maximum load in kilograms and pounds that can be carried by the tire.

Maximum Permissible Inflation Pressure
This number is the greatest amount of air pressure that should ever be put in the tire under normal driving conditions.

UTQGS Information (Uniform Tire Quality Grading Standards)

Treadwear Number
This number indicates the tire's wear rate. The higher the treadwear number is, the longer it should take for the tread to wear down. For example, a tire graded 400 should last twice as long as a tire graded 200.

Traction Letter
This letter indicates a tire's ability to stop on wet pavement. A higher graded tire should allow you to stop your car on wet roads in a shorter distance than a tire with a lower grade. Traction is graded from highest to lowest as "AA","A", "B", and "C".

Temperature Letter
This letter indicates a tire's resistance to heat. The temperature grade is for a tire that is inflated properly and not overloaded. Excessive speed, underinflation or excessive loading, either separately or in combination, can cause heat build-up and possible tire failure. From highest to lowest, a tire's resistance to heat is graded as "A", "B", or "C".

Additional Information on Truck Tires

Tires for light trucks have other markings besides those found on the sidewalls of passenger tires.

LT
The "LT" indicates the tire is for light trucks.

Max. Load Dual kg(lbs) at kPa(psi) Cold
This information indicates the maximum load and tire pressure when the tire is used as a dual, that is, when four tires are put on each rear axle (a total of six or more tires on the vehicle).

Max. Load Single kg(lbs) at kPa(psi) Cold
This information indicates the maximum load and tire pressure when the tire is used as a single.

Load Range
This information identifies the tire's load-carrying capabilities and its inflation limits.

Snow Tires
In some heavy snow areas, local governments may require true snow tires, those with very deeply cut tread. These tires should only be used in pairs or placed on all four wheels. Make sure you purchase snow tires that are the same size and construction type as the other tires on your vehicle.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^ Great tutorial! It's indeed very important for RV owners especially to know how to read the AGE of your tires, since they can/will wear out by age long before you reach the rated miles. RV tires should be replaced every 7 years or so, regardless of how many miles you've driven.

quote:
Originally posted by Pcfousj:
Thanks for the suggestions, I wasn't sure if the regular type tire shops could handle raising a RV, and removing the lugnuts. Once I got the RV home I found that I had a flat on one of the inside rears, I don't trust the others now.

As mentioned, anyplace that works on big trucks can handle RV's and may even have an "RV guy" like the shop where I took mine. You don't necessarily need to replace all 6 though just because you got 1 flat, unless they are approaching or past the 7-year mark.

I had a blowout on a rear outer dually this past summer, 1 of 6 tires that were only 3 years old. It happens. When the roadside guy showed up to mount the spare, I learned with horror that my spare was original to the RV and 17 years old!! That was a white knuckle trip the rest of the way home! I bought 2 new Bridgestones and had them put on the front, rotating 4 matching 3-year-old tires to the rear axle and leaving 1 extra for a much newer spare. Wink

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pcfousj
posted Hide Post
Great info, the newest tire I have is 6 years old.

9207 3810 30BS-11B

posted Hide Post
Yeah it may be time to budget in a new set then, if you plan on keeping your RV for several years. Make sure you to check the DOT code (or require the tire shop to do it) to determine the manufacture date BEFORE mounting, so they are not giving you tires that have been sitting on the shelf for a year. They will always try yo get rid of their oldest inventory first... for car owners the tire age doesn't really matter, since the mileage rating will be reached well before 7 years in most cases. But as an RV owner that relies on replacement age, you certainly have the right to require they sell you the newest tires they have available.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
This confirms everything I have been able to glean from looking thru old posts. The unit I am getting has been sitting in Yuma for 10 years. Looks like I had better replace all the tires before I attempt to bring it back to Minnesnowta. I will have to get with Gary and find out if he has a tire guy there in Yuma. 22.5s are not going to be cheap-ouch!

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pcfousj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lannings

I just got one quote so far. (6) new 8R 19.5 12ply sumoto or something like that, mounted, balanced, stems, ect and all disposal fees $1480.00

9207 3810 30BS-11B

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
That's just about what my Bridgestones were 6 years ago, so if they're decent tires, sounds good. As the worn out cliche goes- peace of mind riding on brand new rubber- priceless.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Purcell Tires in Yuma is where i bought my wheels last spring and where i would go for tires if needed.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Thanks Shadow man always like it when I get actual factual input

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post