Forums    General Discussions    Why Not a Pickup Hybrid?
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Why Not a Pickup Hybrid?
 Login now/Join our community

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted
I drive a Toyota Tacoma small cab small box 2 wd 4 cyl truck. It is the least I can drive and do the work I do. I rarely haul more than a hundred pounds or so, and very rarely travel on roads with a speed limit of over 55. I see Prius type cars all the time and understand they are very fuel efficient. Why doesn't anyone make a small truck with a Hybrid engine system? I run about 30 thousand miles a year, so any additional milage would help. Instead I see these 600 hp V12 concept cars that no one could afford to buy or drive, but nothing for the working guy to make a living with.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a small one, but they're headed there:
http://www.gm.com/company/gmability/adv_tech/100_news/hybrid_110205.html

Maybe this is your answer: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t66365.html

Probably not for the poor, I am guessing.

Posts: 25 | Location: Grand Prairie TX USA | Member Since: 03-18-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Both links show large trucks. Perhaps a market exists for them, but I would think there would also be a huge market for a small super-efficient pickup truck.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
The GM pickups have also offered the Displacement-on-Demand (DOD) V-8 engines for a few years now, as well as the Impala SS. It's the Chevy small block engine that runs on 4 cylinders when cruising on the highway, and then all 8 cylinders kick in during heavy acceleration or whenever needed.

Oil companies also buy out their competition (smaller companies that develop hybrid technologies) so they don't get put out of business. However the public is beginning to demand alternatives to crude oil due to gas prices and pollution, so it's only a matter of time until more and more big-name companies have to accomodate their customers.

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scottydl:
The GM pickups have also offered the Displacement-on-Demand (DOD) V-8 engines for a few years now, as well as the Impala SS. It's the Chevy small block engine that runs on 4 cylinders when cruising on the highway, and then all 8 cylinders kick in during heavy acceleration or whenever needed.
Anyone remember the first attempt at this? They called it the 4-6-8 and it was the biggest POS out there. Like the DOD engines it went from 4cyl-6cyl-8cyl.

This is were technology takes us - we must first try things and fail before something better comes along or ,in this case, they improve on the original concept.

Hybrids (and other technologies) are something we should look at and fail doing. The R&D aspect pumps billions into our economy - if it work great - if not - back to the drawing board. I know what the naysayers think, but so what!

After we crack that nut, then, we will let the Chinese reverse engineer the crap out of it for pennies on the dollar. Confused

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:
Anyone remember the first attempt at this?

Sadly. I bought one that had missed out on the Cad dealer conversion to full 8 cylinder operation. I intended to do an engine swap and use it as a tow car. The computer was too stone-age to do the job. But, being a fiddler, I tried to make it work well as a 468. Alas, it was not to be.

I ended up putting a built 403 Olds (carbed) engine and TH400 in the car. With a little suspension work, it became a superb tow car. Going up in the mountains to ski (sans trailer), it made believers out of a lot of hotshots in BMWs et al.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
I wonder what happens when the Hybrids need new batteries?

My impression at this point is Hybrid buyers are people that keep or lease a car for the period it is covered by the factory new car policy.

The last time I looked a battery was not "non-poluting" or low cost when it was time to get rid of it and buy a new one. As I recall having the Stringfellow acid pits next door did not do a lot to increase your property value.

I'm not being a doom and gloom guy it is just as Bill says we do have to look at things differently and if something doesn't work we should not fall in love with it, just move on and try again.

Timothy

P.S. Bill, the Engine in the Barth is moving forward, just a bit slower than I planed, oh well it looks great. I am sorry I have not communicated in the past few months. All I have to do is start the darn thing but it is off to Mexico next week for a few days of sailing, a full life is a fun life.

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Zeeff:
I drive a Toyota Tacoma small cab small box 2 wd 4 cyl truck. It is the least I can drive and do the work I do. I rarely haul more than a hundred pounds or so, and very rarely travel on roads with a speed limit of over 55. I see Prius type cars all the time and understand they are very fuel efficient. Why doesn't anyone make a small truck with a Hybrid engine system? I run about 30 thousand miles a year, so any additional milage would help. Instead I see these 600 hp V12 concept cars that no one could afford to buy or drive, but nothing for the working guy to make a living with.

Maybe a Scion Xb would work for you, since you don't need much cargo space.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I thought the Scion was a very cool little buggy, but Suzy thinks they are the ugliest box on the road. Not sure it would be that much more efficient than my 4 cyl Toy. I get about 24 in traffic, and about 28 on the rare occasion I travel I roads. I need to see a realistic 45 or better before I'm shuckin out 15 grand or better for a matchbox.

79 Barth Classic

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Oddly enough, I'm considering selling my Lexus LS400 for a Scion Xb - more room for the dogs, and it would be towable 4-down (2005 or earlier)behind StaRV II. I average 22 mpg in the LS400, BTW, so it's decent.

However, I expect in the next two or three years, we'll see some new-generation diesels in compact pickups that'll get 35-38 mpg.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I know the little diesels are out there, I've seen a ton of them in Bermuda, but I suspect they won't pass our emmission tests yet so we don't import them.

79 Barth Classic

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Back in the early 80s during a fuel crisis all the mfgs had a diesel option. You probably remember the VW rabit diesel, but Nission, Toyota, Cheverolet (Luv Isusu), and Ford courier (mazda) all offered diesels that got better than 30mpg. Most of them still do, but quit importing them to the USA for lack of demand.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Carter:
Back in the early 80s during a fuel crisis all the mfgs had a diesel option.

I remember some full-size GM sedans with a diesel option too, but IIRC they were notoriously bad at freezing up in the winter... as in the fuel would solidify and the car would obviously go nowhere. Roll Eyes Hopefully any newer technologies would move beyond problems like that!

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"Why doesn't anyone make a small truck with a Hybrid engine system?"
Answer: Very few will buy them; certainly not enough to justify producing them..

"Oil companies also buy out their competition (smaller companies that develop hybrid technologies) so they don't get put out of business"
This is a myth/falsehood. Repeating this lie will not make it a true statement.

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gunner:
[b"Oil companies also buy out their competition (smaller companies that develop hybrid technologies) so they don't get put out of business"

This is a myth/falsehood. Repeating this lie will not make it a true statement.

It is indeed. I worked for a major oil company (think "clam"), and we used to get a kick out of the claims of "150 mpg carburetor" and "magnetic molecule alignment technology". An internal combustion engine's maximum efficiency is dictated by the physics of the Otto Cycle or the Diesel Cycle.

If a major oil company were to buy a hybrid technology company, they'd do it because it was promising, and they'd develop the technology if they could - mainly because it could be profitable. Back in the '60s, one of our engineers at Shell said, "We're really stupid burning petroleum, because in 100 years we'll wish we'd saved it for other things we need it for."

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke