Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Windshield Replacement Costs
 Login now/Join our community

"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted
My 1988 regal had hairline fractures on both windshields. I have Progressive Ins. and since I've never had a claim, my deductable was zero. So I called and filed a claim. The process was very painless and very efficient. I wanted to use Safelite but they don't do class A replacement so Progressive called Duncan RV glass. The Duncan rep I spoke to handeled everything. My local mobile RV repairman does glass replacement so he was given the job. Glass had to be flown in - that took a week, replacement was an easy job and they reused my gaskets, but what floored me was the cost. I asked Duncan what the repair cost was and they told me $2500.00. That covered my Ins payments for the last six years or so. Bottom line is you better have glass coverage or a large wallet. I will admit I wasn't sure how long or hard the process would take but it went off without a hitch

Russell and Donna
1988 GM 454 powered 33' Barth Regal
Gibson Exhaust, Bilsteins, ipd sway bar

Posts: 136 | Location: overland park,ks,usa | Member Since: 08-20-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kc_rusty:
I wanted to use Safelite but they don't do class A replacement so Progressive called Duncan RV glass.
Read This
quote:
The first question asked is always "what kind of vehicle do you have?" In most cases honesty is the best policy... but not with the glass guys. For me to get past the words "we don't work on rv's" you have to fib to them. They don't want to do the extra lookup work.
To do a widebody center section they purchase an additional front windshield and cut out a piece to use. So, for the widebodies, you have 3 front windshields. Maybe then it might be worth $2,500. Eeker

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
+1 on making sure you have glass coverage. I pay extra with Progressive just so I can have a separate glass rider that gives me the $0 deductible. There are just too many windows in my rig that can have problems to take the chance at having to pay $250-500 each incident!

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
This subject seems to come up at least once a year. I replaced both front windshields using Binswanger Glass, a Houston firm. They ordered the glass from someone else. The center section is just a piece of flat safety glass with the same tint. It is not necessary to cut up a windshield as the same glass is carried in flat stock. Avoiding the specialty shops like Duncan etc I paid just over $400 for the entire job including all new gaskets and labor. Shop around for the W130 and W131 and you should be able to get a similar deal. Those places like Coach Glass are way too expensive.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jeff H
posted Hide Post
This is a prime example of why insurance premiums are so high. I refused to use Duncan when I replaced my glass because they had seperate rates for an insurance claim vs private pay. It was double the price if it was thru the insurance carrier. Nothing is free and as you said this one claim equalled 6 years of insurance payments. You and your fellow Progressive insured's will be picking up these tabs with higher premiums. The glass costs the same regardless of who pays. Insurance carries are just as much to blame for paying these overly inflated prices. This is really prevalent in the health care industy with Billions of dollars in fraudulent claims and overbilling. Don't use them. Just my 2 cents.

Posts: 30 | Location: Oklahoma | Member Since: 01-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
This is somewhat off-topic....

Jeff H and I got together last week to eat lunch. He lives about 50 miles from me and we have very similiar coaches. They look alike but are different floor plans. He got to see my coach and we had a great time visiting. We found out we had so much in common: we are close in age, our wives are close in age, I have 3 boys, 3, 4, & 6 and he has a boy 6, and girls, 5 months, 7 and 9. We're both in the insurance business.

I figured out that his family and our family should caravan to the next Barth meet. With all you old people, he and his wife and me and my wife could dump our 7 kids off on all of you and go off and enjoy a nice peaceful vacation.

I just love Barth people!!!!

P.S. 5 of the 7 kids are self cleaning....it shouldn't be lot of work for you all.....Ha!

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K&E:
This is somewhat off-topic....
Really? ROTFLMAO

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
I figured out that his family and our family should caravan to the next Barth meet. With all you old people, he and his wife and me and my wife could dump our 7 kids off on all of you and go off and enjoy a nice peaceful vacation.

How well do they sew? Wink

We may be old, but do we look that stupid? Big Grin

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last week, my wife called me at the office. She said when I got home, I had a "situation" to take care of with our 4 year old.

My wife had had a luncheon meeting. We have a lady who helps clean the house and watches the boys when my wife has things come up. Well, when my wife got home, she finds out the 4 year old locked our housekeeper out of the house! Thank goodnes, we have an emergency key hidden outside for such events.....

I think Jeff H's kids and our kids could add a whole new dimensions to future get-togethers!

P.S. Might be sure and hide your keys when our kids are around...

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Did I mention there are some very hungry alligators at Hillsborough SP?

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jeff H
posted Hide Post
Kive,
Do you need a glass of water to wash that foot down. I don't think you're going to have many takers.. Ha Ha. However, mine do a great job of cleaning Barth Coaches. Just give em a rag and they are entertained for hours. I was entertaining the idea of making the trek to Indiana next year. My brother and sister inlaw live in indianapolis. But I fear I may be greeted with a volley of Tomatoes and prune juice. I'll bring the Gerbers baby food and you can bring the Ensure. Hopeless Space Cowboys Joke. I can take the abuse for you if you like. How about... Whippersnapper...rugrat...crumsnatcher...junior...or slick. I just hope the next time I am broke down 500 miles from home I don't get the recommendation to change the tail light fluid or blow out the tailpipe exhaust valve.

Posts: 30 | Location: Oklahoma | Member Since: 01-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did I mention there are some very hungry alligators at Hillsborough SP?

If I took them to Hillsborough, I wouldn't be surprised to wake up one morning and find an alligator sleeping on the front couch that the boys wanted to take home and adopt....

Personally, I'd be more worried for the safety of the alligators...

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
after our Barrista coffee class sucess in Milford we are planning a smores eating contest with CocaCola and Mountain Dew binge drinking followed by a session on how to give your little sister a mowhawk haircut. all kids will receive complimentary Crayolas and Mark-it-all pens to express their own art and for nighttime we have a Freddie Krueger marathon.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post