Forums    General Discussions    Tweeking a Cummins 5.9 for more power? any answers?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Tweeking a Cummins 5.9 for more power? any answers?
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Trying to find out if we can tweek the cummins its a 1991 with a 5.9??

Posts: 1 | Location: Montreal Canada | Member Since: 05-17-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
You want to know how to get more power from a 5.9? MWrench turned up a few at the DC GTG... Maybe we can get him to tell us what he did?

So how about it Ed... Care to tell the masses what you did to bump up the power?

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Ed cranked up my 8.3 and it performed immensely better in the mountains on our way from Florida to NH. I'll leave it to him to give the details, but don't get your hopes up too high as Ed and I both have original California delivered diesels that were set for optimum emissions. I'm not sure there will be as much to gain on rigs delivered in states that aren't so strict.

In any case, Ed is a genius in my eyes. Well Ed and Bill are both geniuses when it comes to diagnosis and upgrades on these Barths.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
I took ours from 190HP to just under 400HP. At that it had to much power and I didn't want to break things. So cranked it back down to an estimated 275-300.

When I got the Barth it has the banks spit income manifold and a banks turbo, but it still sucked. Added a different fuel cam. Better, but not much. Problem was also the transmission was only good for 230hp in top condition. ours wasn't. So out came the 542 and in went a 2000 5 speed with lockup converter.

And finally I changed injectors. All I can say is WOW. Lookout world. Now I had to back it off. I'm now very happy with performance and fuel economy went up.

So yup, you can do it. The 5.9 12 valve will go to 800hp in some marine apps. Just gotta keep it cool.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I should add it depends on which injector pump you have. You need the bosch.

5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
by how much did fuel economy improve?

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
a little over 1mpg

5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Picture of Steve Castner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Carter:
I should add it depends on which injector pump you have. You need the bosch.

OK, Gary, I've got it, you swapped out to a Bosch injector pump.

Can you fill me in on the model, etc?

Thanks.

Steve

1989 Regal 34’
Side entry, floor plan A
Spartan chassis
Cummins 6CTA – 8.3 L with 240 HP
Cummins pusher
Allison transmission MT 643
Onan generator
8808-3555-34RDS-A

Posts: 83 | Location: Cedarburg, WI | Member Since: 09-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our engine had the bosch pump, I just changed the fuel plate. Some of the engines had a different pump. The bosch has inline injector output and the other one looks like a distributor.

5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Judy, if you have an original 1991 engine, it probably does not have the large, inline "P" pump.
If I am right, you are unable to increase the high pressure pump output easily. You will need BANKS turbo and manifold mod$$ to get beyond 160-190hp.

Gary, which plate no. did you install, like 10 or 11? I thinking of doing that so as to get 220-230hp out of the P pump on our newer Cummins Recon engine. I am puzzled as to why most places sell the plate (with bolt and elbow) for about $200 but a vendor on ebay has the kit for only about $30?!
I am not interested in changing governor, injectors, manifold, turbo, exhaust or anything more radical than replacing and/or sliding the throttle stop plate.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post