Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Some travel observations
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted
So far this trip, we have traveled over 4000 miles, (3weeks) and would like to pass on the following observations.

Far less RV's on the road for this time of year. We like to travel before Memorial Day as we generally do not need reservations. ( My racing activity is also this time of the year) But this year a lot less RVs.'

Truckers have slowed down, WAY DOWN! In the past, doing 70 MPH on the Interstates, we would get passed regularly and only occasionally , stay with or pass another truck.

Now at 70 MPH, we are passing most all the trucks and only one or two will stay with us or pass. Clocking some of them they are at or under 65 MPH.

Cheapest fuel we have bought was $3.95/9 and the most expensive bought was $4.29/9 (California!) Most expensive that we saw was $4.69/9. (Grand Canyon area) We have averaged $4.15 so far. I am sure that will go up before we get back in another 10 days.

These are probably the most dramatic changes in driving habits since fuel prices have escalated.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWrench:
Truckers have slowed down, WAY DOWN! In the past, doing 70 MPH on the Interstates, we would get passed regularly and only occasionally , stay with or pass another truck.

Now at 70 MPH, we are passing most all the trucks and only one or two will stay with us or pass. Clocking some of them they are at or under 65 MPH.
Your observations are inline with mine.

In regards to the "SLOW DOWN". Companies have initiated fuel mileage bonuses for their drivers and have turned the "Top Speed" down to 65-70 MPH on the rigs. The LTL (Less Then Truckload) Carriers are not moving the trucks unless there is more freight in them.

This translates into...

1) less truck traffic.
2) The rigs that are on the road are being used by the most senior drivers so there should be less rookie mistakes.
3) The rigs are nicer/newer as you wouldn't be band-aiding the older trucks to get the freight down the road.
4) Owner Operators who are in contract to pull freight for $xx.xx dollars are parking their rigs until they get out of their contracts or the shipper re-negotiates a more equitable rate. You can't run down the road for a "Net Loss". Some of these guys are taking day jobs at other trucking companies.
5) Shippers have demanded a higher "Minimum Order" before they will ship products.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
.... and many are predicting $200/barrel oil prices in two years. That would place gas prices in the $6-7/gallon range, not unlike Europe now. I'm curious, are there many RV manufacturers in Europe now?

Posts: 136 | Location: IL | Member Since: 08-25-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Not having a working speedometer in the Euro has taght me a few things. I know the Publix and Walmart rigs are going 65. They have them pegged and that's all they will do. Works great for me because 65 is a really comfortable speed for me and I often lag a bit back and run for miles behind one of these rigs. The tankers seem to be a bit slower, maybe 58 to 62, so we sometimes pass them. The bus charter that we use for Daytona has a set 72, but I wouldn't be surprized to see them lower that. With the old 454 carbed gasser I won't get more than 6 at anything over 75, but I might squeeze 8 to 9 at less than 65. That's why I always say 7.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
... so if prices do continue to rise that would mean you may be paying near a $1/mile to go anywhere in a couple of years.

Posts: 136 | Location: IL | Member Since: 08-25-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Yes, if we're looking ahead a couple of years, and your calculations are accurate, it is very conceivable that a buck a mile is in our future. As for me and mine, we'll do what we can while we can and when we can't do any more, Oh well, or Oh hell. I didn't vote for that... oops never mind!

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
You know, back in the 70's, Nixon put a 55MPH max on the highways. It saved a ton of fuel during a time that supplies were tight. In a 300 mile trip, it added about 45/50 minutes to your drive time. Who cared? I didn't, and I was traveling for a living then. So why hasn't someone in Washington suggested that? If we saved gas, demand would go down and prices would follow, or so goes the economic theory. Or perhaps the Arabs don't subscribe to economic theories and wouldn't drop their oil prices no matter what the demand is. After all, they are out to get us. At least it would be worth a try. I still drive the '85 Regal at 55 and it's amazing how much of the country you see. And isn't that the point, 'it's not the destination, it's the ride'. BTW, that's why I get 10 or more out of that old 454.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I drive at 60 mph, the most economical for the engine/gearing, and get about 11 mpg.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also read that refineries are cutting back production of gasoline since demand is down and supply is up (I wonder why). So what does this all mean?

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Not much. Most modern refineries are what are called "swing refineries", meaning they can "swing" from #2 fuel oil (home heating oil/diesel fuel) to gasoline. However, if the gaso become a glut, they might swing back from the usual spring shift from #2 to gaso and produce more #2. Better for us diesel consumers.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:
In regards to the "SLOW DOWN". Companies have initiated fuel mileage bonuses for their drivers and have turned the "Top Speed" down to 65-70 MPH on the rigs. The LTL (Less Then Truckload) Carriers are not moving the trucks unless there is more freight in them.

This translates into...

1) less truck traffic.
2) The rigs that are on the road are being used by the most senior drivers so there should be less rookie mistakes.
3) The rigs are nicer/newer as you wouldn't be band-aiding the older trucks to get the freight down the road.
4) Owner Operators who are in contract to pull freight for $xx.xx dollars are parking their rigs until they get out of their contracts or the shipper re-negotiates a more equitable rate. You can't run down the road for a "Net Loss". Some of these guys are taking day jobs at other trucking companies.
5) Shippers have demanded a higher "Minimum Order" before they will ship products.

More on truck fuel consumption............

-----------------------------------------

Trade group urges truckers to slow down, save fuel

From the Associated Press May 9, 2008

WASHINGTON -- Struggling with record diesel prices, the trucking industry's main trade group introduced a plan Thursday to reduce fuel consumption and emissions over the next decade mainly by having its members slow down.

The American Trucking Assns., whose members include FedEx Corp., UPS Inc. and Con-way Inc., says adherence to a handful of new proposals could cut fuel consumption by 86 billion gallons and carbon dioxide emissions by 900 million tons for all vehicles over the next 10 years.

The recommendations are:

* Limit the speed new trucks can travel to no more than 68 mph and reduce the national speed limit to 65 mph for all vehicles.

* Reduce engine idling.

* Ease congestion by improving the nation's highways, through A FUELS TAX INCREASE if necessary.

* Support national fuel economy standards for trucks.

Congress repealed the national speed limit law in 1995, and 32 states now have limits of 70 mph or higher on some parts of their highways, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. But the ATA has yet to find a federal lawmaker to champion its cause of reducing the national limit.

"Our proposals are practical, reasonable, and doable," said Bill Graves, ATA's president and chief executive. "But there's no doubt that today's skyrocketing diesel prices give us an added incentive to roll it out across the industry, and for Congress to provide the support the program needs."

Truck drivers haul 70% of all freight in the U.S.

The ATA has said it now costs more than $1,000 to fill a typical tractor-trailer, and that the nation's 3.5 million truck drivers are on pace to spend a record $135 billion on diesel fuel this year, up $22 billion from 2007.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post