Tools
Reply To This Topic

Toads And Dingyies
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted
The latest issue of MotorHome magazine stated
"due to auto manufacturers making late changes, the annual can/can't tow list will NOT be in the Jan 07 issue but delayed till the Feb 07 issue"

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Don Scalzo
posted Hide Post
When ! was camped at the lake in N.C. a MH came in towing a fairly new Buick w/ auto transmission. I questioned him, and he explained he had a drain valve installed, and before towing he added several qts. of transmission fluid which he drained before using the car. He said he has been doing this for many years, and to install the drain valve cost 430.00 AS apposed to installing an auxillary pump. What do our mechanical gurus have to say about this? The drain valve was neatly installed on the drivers side under the bumper.

Posts: 196 | Location: Apollo Beach, Fl. USA | Member Since: 10-05-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Don Scalzo
posted Hide Post
correction: $30.00 not 430.00

Posts: 196 | Location: Apollo Beach, Fl. USA | Member Since: 10-05-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
My gut tells me it would work in most, if not all, a.t.s. The basic problem is that a.t. fluid circulation pumps usually work only when the engine is running. Extra fluid would provide an oil bath to rotating parts that normally receive lubrication only from the pump.

Another solution I have seen advanced is to leave the engine idling in neutral when you tow. Not conducive to fuel economy or reducing pollution, however.

If you're certain you'll always remember to add, or drain fluid when appropriate, it should work. If you forget this chore on either end, you've got problems.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
My reaction is that the man's technique is asking for trouble. He does have a "fairly new Buick", and enough time may not have elapsed to suffer consequences. A/Ts tend to be pretty robust when operated as designed, and somewhat fragile when not.

However, he may have stumbled onto a solution - many manufacturers require the engine to be run for a few minutes every couple of hundred miles to recirculate the fluid.

Anyway, if it were my car (and my money), I'd follow the mfr's recommendations or get a dolly.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Scalzo:
correction: $30.00 not 430.00
If you click the link that shows the folder with the eraser in the lower right corner of your post, you can edit your post without having to add another reply.

The person who adds fluid to the transmission is setting himself up for future problems. At the very least he should idle the car if towing all four down.

Now, if it stalls out, he's in for a world of hurt. Frowner

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post