Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Suzuki Toad
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Looking at '94 Suzuki Sidekick to pull as a toad. Has AT and is 4x4. Has anyone pulled such a unit, and does it pull 4 down without adjustments to tranny or driveshaft? Also, what sort of towbar and plate would be suitable? Thanks.

Posts: 35 | Location: Buffalo, MO USA | Member Since: 09-11-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the same toad (Geo = Suzki) and it works great all four down. I've towed it over 50,000 miles w/o problems. You probably have automatic hubs which I think you will have to replace with manual hubs.

Posts: 138 | Location: Hayden Lake (Coeur d'Alene), ID USA | Member Since: 11-14-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Ditto GrizzlyGiant. I have a '96 Sport Sidekick 4-door. You MUST get manual hubs if you don't have them already. The automatics will engage automatically just when you don't want them to. I bought my manuals from J.C. Whitney, but any parts house in a metro area should be able to get them for you.

I have a Demco tow bar, and they have base plates designed specifically for the Sidekick/Tracker. Try a Google search for Demco, & you'll probably find the info. you need.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Info very helpful. Did not buy Suzuki--148k miles and check engine light would not go off and owner had no clue. Now looking at '94 Geo Tracker w/ AT and 2x2, but owner's manual states can only be towed on a dolly with 2 wheels on dolly and 2 on pavement, even though Demco makes base plates for the unit. A little confused about conflicting info. Can you clear this up for me?

Posts: 35 | Location: Buffalo, MO USA | Member Since: 09-11-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toosahn:
Thanks. Info very helpful. Did not buy Suzuki--148k miles and check engine light would not go off and owner had no clue. Now looking at '94 Geo Tracker w/ AT and 2x2, but owner's manual states can only be towed on a dolly with 2 wheels on dolly and 2 on pavement, even though Demco makes base plates for the unit. A little confused about conflicting info. Can you clear this up for me?

Demco base plates are probably for use with REMCO (or other brand) disconnects, trans pump, or perhaps same plates are used for 4X4 & 4X2 vehicle. My SUV has same baseplates for 4x4 and 4X2.

------------------
"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
The two largest suppliers of tow bars are Roadmaster and Blue Ox and Demco is down the line a little bit. All tow bar setups require a base plate on the car to allow the attachment of the towbar to the car.

http://www.aemfg.com/Towbars/Index.html
http://www.roadmasterinc.com/
http://www.demco-products.com/Pages/work.html

Remco is a separate company which manufactures drive shaft disengagement and transmission lube products to make normally untowable cars towable. They have some braking products also, as do the other companies mentioned.

http://www.remcotowing.com/lube.asp

When purchasing a tow bar, you must make sure that the weight exceeds the vehicle you are going to pull. I have the Roadmaster Sterling with is good to 6000 lbs and that is as high as any Barth is probably going to pull.

If you are just getting into the towing game I would definitely look at the Roadmaster "All Terrain" products. To hook up and un-hook a tow bar you must be on a very level surface. And, you must have the toad and the RV in-line with each other. I have a recurring nightmare that I have just got gas and am pulling out and I just can't make a turn so there I am half turned, can't back up and can't unhook...what will you do??

Well the new "All Terrain" tow bars with the "freedom latch" will allow you to unhook even on turning and uneven situations. I would definitely go that way...

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
The key to Suzuki AT towability lies in the 4x4 vs. 2x2 matter. The 4x4 has a transfer case, the 2x2 doesn't. The 4x4 tows with the transfer case in neutral, the AT in Park. The 2x2 tranny can't be disconnected from the drive shaft, ergo - the usual AT restrictions apply.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just a word of warning,my brother was flat towing a bronco behind his FMC and found a false neutral in the transfer case.If it wasn't for a car pulling up next to him and saying at about 65 mph that SMOKE was coming from his toad it probably would have BURNED to the ground , luckly it just melted counsel and ruined transfer case.BRES PS a family of unique motorhomes.

Posts: 37 | Location: St. Paul. Mn. USA | Member Since: 04-05-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to the good advice from Grizzly Giant and Olroy, purchased the right toad for me--'94 Geo Tracker, AT 4x4 with manual lock out hubs complete with Roadmaster Falcon tow bar and plates. Dave-Would rather have the All-Terrain tow bar but this will have to do for now.

BTW, the person who sold me the toad, wants to sell a Safe-T-Steer setup for $200. E-mail me if you want it and I'll give you his name and number. (Dave, If it's taboo to mention a sale item other than Barth, just delete this part of my reply.)

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Hey Toosahn,

The only reason I like the All Terrain, is because I still have the nightmare of getting caught on a curve and, "What will I do, what will I do?"

By all means, absolutely anything of interest or benefit to people who visit this site please do share it. Man, I even have a recipe or two on here somewhere.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
If the safetsteer is for a p30 I'd be interested.

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post