Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

emergency road service
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Since we are new to this motorhome thing, we have been trying to compare some of the emergency road service providers. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations. We have been looking at Good Sam and Coach-net. But the best help is from someone who has first hand knowledge of them. Also noticed that you can get Coach-net through FMCA, is this worth the membership price?

Posts: 10 | Location: Riga,Michigan USA | Member Since: 01-31-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill Stevson
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of options out there but I couldn't find any that I thought was better than Good Sam.

Posts: 113 | Location: Macks Creek, MO | Member Since: 11-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We used Good Sam once,and found they were good, but I had to call them two times to get them to act, but it was a SUNDAY. I still have their program and that should say SOMETHING.

Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I had to use AAA up in Alabama last year and they were great. Of course you have to upgrade to AAA RV plus, which will set you back a few more dineros, but if you like AAA service it's the way to go.

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3479 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
I did the following review on the various ERS's some time ago. If this this still applies. I am a big Coach Net fan...

https://www.barthmobile.com/ubb/Archives/Archive-000011/...040811-1-000289.html

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited July 11, 2005).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
If you do not have an ERS provider then what do you do?

There is a site that I recommend to all my trucking accounts that can find emergency roadservice anywhere.

www.TruckDown.com

They will ask you to register but you don't have to. Just sign on as username "guest" and your password is "guest". Make sure it is all lower case.

This site makes there money by charging truck repair centers, roadservice providers and towing outfits. I have never needed a ERS company as I do all of my own repairs. If (heaven forbid) I am ever out on the road and need someone for something other than what I can do I would use this site.

That being said I also do repair work for Good Sams and have always found them to be very customer oriented.

------------------
http://www.truckroadservice.com/

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
My Progressive insurance has ERS. Never used it. I have been happy with the insurance so far. Moma hit a car and a tree parking Barth and they were real good.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/07
posted Hide Post
Had an incident this weekend returning from WV going back home to Dayton Ohio.... Had a sometime sputering engine on the way down..started home and all seemed fine got within a 1/2 hour of home and lost power..Engine started but not enough power to get back in Traffic... I am New RV Owner/New Good Sam Member .. Got out my Good Sam info and called..They were excellent .. they had trouble finding a tow but called me back so I was not wondering what was going on..I was towed within an hour of the original call and the company they used was excellent..They sold me..I had a great experience....and would recommend to anyone...

------------------
John Reilly
Big Times Kennel
Centerville Ohio
If you see this... You found me

Posts: 87 | Location: Centerville, Ohio, USA | Member Since: 09-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Hey John!
Sorry to hear about your problem. Hope you all made it home safetly along with whatever pets you might have had with you. Have you discovered what was wrong yet?
Best regards
Jim

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also have Progressive Insurance on my '85
Barth Regal, like Bill, and I recently blew
the 454 engine. I believe the cost of my
ERS was $40 on my annual policy, and it took
3 tows of 18, 5.3 and 6 miles to get my coach
to a reliable engine replacement builder that
was all covered by my ERS. So, I feel that I have all ready received more than my money's worth in the first month of my policy. The service was very prompt and efficient.

Jake Jacobson

Posts: 69 | Location: Harper Woods, MI, USA | Member Since: 05-06-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As of now I have not talked to the mechanic.... But my guess is a leak in the fuel line as when we wwere taking the drive shaft off to be fixed i spotted a smalll drip of fuel from one of the lines.... It being an older model and the fuel pump pulling fuel not pushing we might of been pulling a little air thus lose of power.. I also think the fuel pump might be bad... or maybe a dirty carb.. remember I am not mister mechanic and these are only guesses... The generator was working fine so with a full refer of water and food and the TV and air on.. The one dog I had with me and I settled in and got updated on the weather while we waited..Had the generator not been working the whole thing would of been ugly...
So we are getting there... Thanks for asking.. I have still not seen another Barth in my travels... The gnerator really got a workout this weekend as it was hot and humid...

------------------
John Reilly
Big Times Kennel
Centerville Ohio

Posts: 87 | Location: Centerville, Ohio, USA | Member Since: 09-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jim Went and picked up the Barth yesterday am.. Well it seems on the way down to WV from Dayton last weekend one of the fuel pumps was going... As you probably know (I didn't) the Barth has a couple of them... Anyway mine as 3 in the line from the back tank... 1 in the tank pushing fuel..1 in the middle ofthe vhicle pushing fuel and 1 and the engine pulling fuel....Anyway on the way don the middle one was probably going bad... and on the the way home it just did give up... In doing so the electrical wires to the unit also fried.. so I had a new center unit and a new engine unit put in...As I have been using the generator so much lately(in going to the dog shows and getting on site late friday night, my spot always seems to be in the middle of a field with no shade at all) I tuned up the generator and changed the oil, oil filter and the spark plugs... So I think we are ready to go again... The old girl seems ok and my mechanic always tells me how well she driveshe is sure in a couple of years i'll be wanting to trade her in for a unit with slides and bigger..I'll leave an open mind as he might be right but I think it will be for a bigger Barth with a diesel maybe.. He is not aware that gettting ot of college in 69 my first major purchase was a 69 427/390 yellow corvette which I still have.. Sometimes you find something you like and just hold onto it...
Going out next weekend north to Medina Ohio which is another 4 hour trip and tehn to Marion Ohio which is about the same.. So the old girl will be flexing her step again.. I still have not run into another Barth either at a show or on the highway...
Have a good week...

------------------
John Reilly
Big Times Kennel
Centerville Ohio

Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
You're doing exactly the right thing John. Keep it rolling. Those of us who unfortunatly let our coaches sit for long periods will suffer from large and frequent mechanics bills.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
John, I would question the need for three fuel pumps. Mine runs like Jack The Bear on just one, mounted above the tank by Barth 21 years ago.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
John, you might want to install a fuel pressure gauge, its a really good investment lets you know right away if pressure is the problem. Yours is the only one I've heard of with three pumps , maybe the one in the tank went bad and they added the inline one between the tank and the engine driven pump.

Ralph

Posts: 167 | Location: LaFontaine, IN,USA | Member Since: 07-03-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post