Forums    General Discussions    Pre purchase help please!
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Pre purchase help please!
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I have an opportunity to buy a Class C Barth ...supposedly 74 or 75, Chevy ..that is about all the info that I can get at this time. Getting more info and a look at it in a few days. I'm doing my homework now ... could anyone tell me things to be aware of , look for , etc. .. supposedly the hubby died 3 years ago, it has been sitting out but kept up ... started every once in a while and "runs" ... any and all help would be appreciated ... oh ..the price maybe 2000 ... ?

thanks in advance

Posts: 2 | Location: Shillington, Pa.  | Member Since: 03-09-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the Forums!

A Buyer's Checklist is located here. It's a good place to start.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
could anyone tell me things to be aware of , look for , etc.

I'm not trying to be difficult, but your question is like me asking you "What is an old guitar worth?" (I'm assuming from you're into guitars). You need a lot more information on this unit before anyone can give you an educated opinion.

Here are a few things to consider.
1) The chassis portion, with the drivetrain, is going to be like any other 35 year old vehicle and can be evaluated by any decent mechanic.
2) The Barth shell is aluminum framed and skinned, so it is a much more robust setup than 95% of all other class Cs, but should be checked for corrosion, leaks, repairs.
3) The RV mechanical items (refrig, heater, stove, A/c) can be put into three categories after 35 year ^already replaced - ^needing immediate reair or replacement - ^going to need repair or replacement.

So.....if you're mechanically adventurous and appreciate classic quality, this might be a great project for you. If you, on the other hand, don't know which end of a wrench to turn and hire all these duties out, I hope you have a healthy checkbook.

I hope this helps. Get more info as even if you don't buy it, someone else here might want it. Good luck!

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Moonbeam ... actually , you gave me exactly what I needed for making a "first Pass" at determining if I want this unit. Thanks

Posts: 2 | Location: Shillington, Pa.  | Member Since: 03-09-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
Picture of Kris & Tina Jones
posted Hide Post
I do recommend you check out the Barths for sale forum as well while you are looking.

Posts: 486 | Location: Detroit, Michigan | Member Since: 02-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
Moonbeam ... actually , you gave me exactly what I needed for making a "first Pass" at determining if I want this unit. Thanks

Glad to be of service and hope this Barth, or another, makes its way to your driveway.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
A word of caution about the aluminum frame. True, the framing above the floor line is aluminum channels and aluminum skin. But below the floor line it is steel tubing, welded to the main frame of the chassis and then the aluminum skin for the lower compartments is riveted to the steel tubing which is often 1" square material. This steel tubing is prone to rust and can cause anything from mild repair to throw the whole coach away. I recall a post a couple of years ago where a guy bought a Barth that looked ok from the outside but ended up loosing all the lower compartments and aluminum skin because the steel tubing structure just sort of disintegrated. It was awful. Barth tried to protect the steel from the aluminum but after 20 or 30 years, the material they used doesn't do much. I have replaced several areas of tubing and have several more to do. Fortunately my son-in-law has a welder and knows how to use it so he does it for me.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post