Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

I am looking at
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Eric D.
posted
I am looking at a coach this Sat.The unit is a 30' 1991 Breakaway.I have the pdf inspection sheets(thank you Dave). According to the owner,this unit has not been driven in three years. Does anybody have any other suggestions as to what I might be careful of in terms of possible major expenditures or anything else.The coach sounds "good on the phone",.....but.All input accepted. Wink

Posts: 44 | Location: Bay Area | Member Since: 02-21-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: PL77
posted Hide Post
Bill NY provided a good discussion on how to approach a coach with low miles:

Pros and Cons of a low mileage coach

While his discussion involved a Regal, anything that's been sitting for three years would require similar attention. I'll leave further explanations to those with more knowledge then myself Smiler

Posts: 52 | Member Since: 03-11-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're most likely better off with one with higher miles that has been used regularly. This one may seem like a good deal up front but the potential component failure rate is much higher here from what everyone seems to say. They just don't sit well at all - especially diesels. You may have a difficult time getting it home unless you live in the area.

Posts: 136 | Location: IL | Member Since: 08-25-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
I talked to Mr. Merkey several weeks ago about his coach and exchanged a number of emails with his son in law, Bill Harrington. I believe one said the coach had been started every couple of months to circulate the oil.
Don

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Started and moved or just started?

Posts: 136 | Location: IL | Member Since: 08-25-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
I just received a message from Mr. Merkey, He said that he starts it and runs it every 3 or 4 week and exercises the steeing and such but it is on blocks so it does not move. He said has had added a few things like an Allison transmission cooler.

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Sadly, starting a diesel and running it at cold idle is very hard on the engine. Running it warmed up at load (as in travelling with it) actually causes very little wear comparatively.

Another issue with an idle coach is all the things that are going wrong that the owner doesn't know about because he's not using it to discover them.

This has the potential of becoming a "Project Coach". However, bought right, it's still a Barth...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post