Forums    General Discussions    I'm a new Barth Owner!
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

I'm a new Barth Owner!
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 06/08
Picture of Raymag
posted
Up until this week I was the owner of a Class B Roadtrek. Last year while camping, a Barth came and parked in the lot across from us. I didn't know the brand but was impressed enough to ask the owner if I could visit. He said yes and also said that it happens all the time. Upon my return home, I surfed the Internet and found your site. I read everything. I was so impressed by the quality of the MH that all I wanted was to own one. Fast forward to last month and I learn thru a mutual friend that the exeact same Barth I visited last year was for sale. So I bought it!
It's a 1990 30FT Breakaway. Excellent condition, very very clean and with 59K miles on a 5.9L Cummings engine. Ceramic floor, 7000 Watt propane generator, Queen size bed. Very impressed with the layout. Exactly what a newly retired couple needs. Drove it home today. This weekend we plan on going camping.

You can expect quite a few questions in the near future. This is my first experience with a diesel pusher.

Real Lalonde

Real

1991 Breakaway 30Ft
5.9L Cummins Diesel
Spartan Frame
4 Speed Allison Model 542
Front Entrance
Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension

Posts: 126 | Location: Shefford, QC Canada | Member Since: 08-02-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raymag:
...a Barth came and parked in the lot across from us... I was so impressed by the quality of the MH that all I wanted was to own one.
We understand, your amongst friends now. Tell us a little more, any pictures? Cool

Bill N.Y.

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
You'll soon know how it feels to be superior to all the SOB (Something Other than Barth) owners out there....knowing that their RVs will be converted to mulch before yours is fully broken-in....

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
Go Rusty!!!

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
You'll soon know how it feels to be superior to all the SOB owners out there.
Dave, is this the same guy that was going to buy a Trek?

Speaking about mulch. What'd ya du wit da udder thang?
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bowers:
Go Rusty!!!
That's like shooting fish in a barrel. No sport in that... Big Grin

Bill N.Y.

Ps. Required reading for new Barth owners It just shows you what snobs we are Big Grin

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
Hi Ray and welcome to the family. You know the old saying, no one ever got fired for recommending IBM. Well I will say that I have never met an unhappy Breakaway owner. Sure, some non owners will say it's underpowered, but owner say 15mpg. Some will say small, owners say, ya, I got a pusher I can turn around in a cul-d-sac or park at the supermarket.

Love those Breakaways.

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bowers:
Sure, some non owners will say it's underpowered, but owner say 15mpg. Some will say small, owners say, ya, I got a pusher I can turn around in a cul-d-sac or park at the supermarket.

Motor homes are like people, a mix of pluses and minuses.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Raymag
posted Hide Post
Here'a little more info about us. I retired from IBM last year after 31 years. My wife did some contract work also at IBM. As Dave was saying : no one ever got fired for recommending IBM!
My second career is now as a cabinetmaker.
As I was saying before, the reason I got the Barth is the overall quality. We've visited regular MH that were 15 years old and close to retirement and downright scary to drive. For a bit more money, I now have a high quality machine and a diesel. I just couldn't believe that after more than 15 years none of the 1 foot ceramic tiles were even cracked. As a matter of fact, all the groot joints are intact! To me it's a sure sign of sturdiness.
It has white leather seats in the front. The cabinets look like stained maple. So far, everything we checked work. Regular maintenance has been done on a regular basis. Oil changes have been done once a year since the previous owner didn't do more than 5000 miles per year.
The engine radiator and thermostat have been replaced this summer.
The owner sold the Barth to buy a fifth-wheel. His loss, my gain Smiler

Here are a couple pictures.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v438/raymag/Barth/

Real

1991 Breakaway 30Ft
5.9L Cummins Diesel
Spartan Frame
Front Entrance

Posts: 126 | Location: Shefford, QC Canada | Member Since: 08-02-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Nice pictures... it's a shame that these coaches are now "orphaned" and with that comes a bit of stigmatism or, if you like, exclusivity.

The good thing about that for current buyers is that these beautiful coaches can be had for a song compared to there quality. The other side of the coin is that's the bad news for owners that bought these new.

I know, there's a lot more then just the "orphaned status" lack of slides is one that comes to mind. But come on, these coaches are the cream of the crop. I can't imagine many other coaches that combine the quality, looks, and value of a used Barth.

Good luck with your purchase and make this site one you'll visit often. I have family friends that worked for IBM 30 plus years that lived in Vermont and Fishkill.

Ps. I like the design of your downdraft table. Wink

Bill N.Y.

<Seon>
posted
Ray,
That's a beautiful unit which is exactly what I'd buy ...if and when I find one Wink. Congrats on your newly aquired Barth.

I've been lurking in the background reading up, trying to get as much info about Barth as possible. This one certainly fits the bill.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Raymag
posted Hide Post
Hi Bill, I'm glad you liked the concept of my downdraft table. How the heck did you find it on the Internet? Are you a woodworker yourself?

Real

1991 Breakaway 30Ft
5.9L Cummins Diesel
Spartan Frame
Front Entrance

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
How the heck did you find it on the Internet?
It kind of freaked ya out doesn't it? Nothing crazy, I googled your name and IBM and when you stated that "My second career is now as a cabinetmaker" I figured that was you.

For all those who want to save a Google trip check out this link A very nice downdraft table.

Bill N.Y.

Picture of Raymag
posted Hide Post
I figured that's what you did. I do that all the time. It's amazing how much information you can gather on somebody right from your home.

Real

1991 Breakaway 30Ft
5.9L Cummins Diesel
Spartan Frame
Front Entrance

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's amazing how much information you can gather on somebody right from your home.
The question should be why? When you first posted you didn't have a location listed in your profile and I was hoping you might be a local Fishkill or Poughkeepsie IBM'er. That went out the door when I saw Canada but I was very impressed with that custom downdraft table.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Picture of Raymag
posted Hide Post
Bill, my IBM location was the Bromont plant for the last 18 years. Prior to that I worked in IBM Customer Service (maintaining the BIG Main Frames)in Montreal, Toronto, and Winnipeg. I know several ppeople in Fishkill, Poughkeepsie, and Burlington since we were all sister plants.

Real

1991 Breakaway 30Ft
5.9L Cummins Diesel
Spartan Frame
Front Entrance