Forums    General Discussions    Somebody help me craft a statement...
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Somebody help me craft a statement...
 Login now/Join our community

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted
Listen all. It's getting a little tiring reading these posts about what someones opinion is about the value of a coach.

While some prices may seem out of line, to you, others here have paid that price or more for their Barth.

Beating up prices in a forum setting only causes a few things...

... it beats down the price of your coach when you sell it.

... it makes others here less likely to sell it on our site because they are afraid of what the collective group might say.

... it foster bad feeling between the sellers and the group.

... Someone will buy that coach and will eventually wind up here and then see these posts and get mad themselves.

So, I propose that prices remain the right of the seller to list. It is up to the buyer to gauge whether or not it is worth it. Eventually the seller will realize the price may be a bit high. But constantly posting in someones thread how crazy their price is isn't doing any one any good. Especially me Mad

Because of this "Abuse", it may eventually come down to me closing off all discussion on anyone selling their coaches. Perhaps, it would be better off if the only one who can post to a thread in the "Barth Coaches For Sale" is the seller.

I have been known to post things in someone's listing or sighting. I am mindful of the fact that sometimes the seller isn't too savvy and might list a Breakaway or Regal as a Regency. We try to correct these "Oversights"

We had one coach being sold that wasn't listed with the correct vin# - that was fixed because of us. So, sometimes digging around will save the seller/buyer more aggravation down the line.

STOP BEATING UP THE BARTH COACHES BECAUSE OF THE SELLERS PRICES!!!

Please post your thoughts as maybe I'm the one that's out of line on this!!! If anyone knows me here - I ain't perfect, and I don't mind being criticized, so let me have it with both barrels. Violence

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I don't think it's a bad thing at all for people to voice their opinion on price. My rationale is that many people come here for advice in an area they have no clue about and there are so few other references to get a fair value. I prefer that someone approach me in a "private topic" manner, but not everyone knows how that operates.

The bottom line is that it is always a "personal" opinion and not a Barthmobile opinion, therefore each opinion should be expressed and taken as a small point of reference. We all know people that think everything is too much and people that will pay through the nose to get immediate gratification. Each vote counts, but shouldn't be viewed as overly weighty. The other benefit is to the seller. Often, they simply have no modern reference and are going by what they paid in a much higher market.

So, there Big Bill! Take that!

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of dustyjeeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Perhaps, it would be better off if the only one who can post to a thread in the "Barth Coaches For Sale" is the seller.

That is the way it is on Colorado4x4.org
Started for the same reason. It works well

So can we still bash $$$$$$$ on sightings? Thumbs Up

1978 Barth 17' Cabin Fever
1997 Barth 23' 4 door Command Center

Posts: 505 | Location: LaSalle CO | Member Since: 12-05-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Bill has a valid point and I am one of those that often questions the price on a Barth if it appears to be overpriced. A couple of thoughts.
1. Most of my comments are on Barths that are found on Craigs List or Ebay, and the seller is not a Barthmobile member. Will they ever become a member? Does that make any difference?
2. If I were to list my Barth on Barthmobile it would be because I want to sell it, and any advice from any member would be welcome, because the members of this site are the most expert source of values on Barths anywhere.
3.Perhaps an idea would be to ask members to PM a Barhmobile member if you have some advice for him/her about the price or any other matter relative to selling their coach.
4. I see no problem with respectful comments on pricing of Barths on ebay/craigs list/rv trader, but again, if we know whose coach it is, perhaps a PM would be more respectful
5. The most recent discussion of the Monarch in Georgia shows that our advice was helpful to the prospective buyer and the seller could have cared less what anybody said. Also, Rusty's comment on the Breakaway in Oregon was helpful because of his experience with its twin. But we all have to be respectful of Bill's position. We don't want to knowingly put him in a position where he has to field calls from anybody who is ticked off because of a comment someone makes on the site. I will certainly think about that more often in the future.
FWIW
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
I agree with Bill NY. At least look at the coach in person before posting. So many factors playing in, condition, amenities, personal taste. None is forced to buy anything. And cussing someone out will sure not bring down a price.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I agree with Bill N Y, Corey, and others. hide

My own policy is that if a coach is under "Barth Sightings", comments are fair game, because they are available to Barthmobile members, who may benefit from other members' observations; there is no duty to the seller. I make no comment on condition unless I've actually seen the coach.

As Bill N Y pointed out, mentioning inaccuracies in a "Barths for Sale" post is also fair, with an amount of tact commensurate with the poster's bluster. If a Bartmobile member asks about a particular feature (i.e., the drivetrain), I think comments are appropriate.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
There is always somebody (buyer, seller) somewhere who will get PO for some reason. The essence of the comments about the coach in GA were observations and warnings (largely based on experience) as to significant condition issues.
As for values, the long-time members of this forum are more qualified to comment on the value of a Barth than RV people at large. The same people are much more qualified to comment as to a particular coach's potential, a coach's deficits and a coach's history.
Those people would be doing a dis-service by being silent about a myriad of valid, educated concerns, including (but not limited to) price.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
An interesting problem...

I can see Bill's point (particularly when he's the one getting flamed!) Much of this site's charm is due to his influence and tact. Many of my project pictures have provoked comments, mostly good ones and some with criticism. Bill has been almost apologetic about the criticism and always encourages us to keep on playing with our Barths. This is one reason we like this site, the atmosphere is so pleasant and encouraging. Thumbs Up

OTOH, this site also collects an amazing assortment of talented people who know what they are doing. No better place to get a reality check on almost any topic. This level of collective technical background is unmatched by any site I know. It would be unfortunate to censor valuable advice from competent gurus because some occasionally are too outspoken.

Hmm, a quandary indeed. I have not been much involved in price discussion mostly because I'm pretty ignorant of the RV market. Pricing seems to sometimes bring out the scary side of people. Some seem contemptuous, others angry when a price is not in "their ballpark." As Tom Johns recently stated so well, the ideal price always depends on whether you're the one buying or the one selling.

It would seem unfortunate to drive Bill to extremes, we all can take his advice, mind our manners and remember to play together well! nono

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5196 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
posted Hide Post
I am not disagreeing with Bill NYE or anyone else on anything but putting a value on something so old has a number of factors to include care, condition, records on how it was cared for (especially that point), your personal ability to fix something versus paying to have it done, etc. When I was a member of MBCA (Mercedes) it was often stated: "The most expensive MB you will own is the one you bought cheap unless you got very lucky". MBs and Barths can be quite expensive to repair. I always consider this when determining what I am willing to pay. Someone stated in writing to me today that NADA or whatever said what a Barth was worth. I compared what I paid for my first one and found I was still below the value that the insurance put on it. And last but not least, how much you like the thing and pride of ownership.

Tom Taylor
94 Breakaway XL

Posts: 306 | Location: Jacksonville FL | Member Since: 05-21-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Received this pm - has value so I'll post it minus the identifiers - but, trust me, it's legit.
quote:
Originally posted by REDACTED:
THANK YOU Bill_ny! This is the single thing which has bugged me on Barthmobile since I become a member, which is a while ago. I have never been able to understand how we were (collectively) so critical of those who seemed to value their Barths very highly. I though we all loved these machines. Absolutely the market will determine the right price. I have posted about this in ancient history but it has continued to irk me every time it occurred. --- I have decided to message you privately. Thank you for all you do Bill, this is still the best site an you are the man!
I'm not singling anyone out - but, it's getting to be too much for me. My heart aches sometimes from these posts because of my involvement with the site.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
posted Hide Post
Bill

As owner and moderator of this site, you are entitled to something called the "pooferator". I for years was a member of a kind and gentler site moderated by the head of the technical side of the Mercedes Car Owners Assoication STAR and a web site separate from that we could all sign onto and share. You have created a kind and gentle environment site.

The pooferator is your ownership to delete posts and un-membership people who are not in tune with the group.

I formed and moderated my 1965 site for high school and had no problems pooferating the ones who did not want to be part of the plan.

I for one apprecaite your bailing my butt out too many times driving that Barth when I did not know what I was doing.

And, last word, I am old and retired but not a social animal but love the good people in the group. If some do not want to conform, pooferator them and we all move on under your leadership.

Tom Taylor

Posts: 306 | Location: Jacksonville FL | Member Since: 05-21-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
This is probably a rehash of the above but I'll add my two cents also. The coach in Milford could be bought for under $1,000. Another coach of the same size and vintage was for sale on the site for more than $10,000. CONDITION!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have seen Regencies close to my Data tag number sell for about $20,000. You couldn't buy mine for $30,000. New Couch, New chairs, New Refrigerator, New Flat screen TV's front and rear, DVD players front and rear, In-motion Satellite Dome, New Carpet, New Converter, almost new batteries, and the list goes on. So is my coach worth $10,000 more than another Regency of the same size and vintage. Don't know.

Oh, least I forget. It also has very well greased U-joints.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
I belong to several websites and what I really find special about Barthmobile is the content of great people and the lack of moderation by those caretakers of the site. To me, the only moderation should be those based on meanness or lack of proper social skills. Barthmobile is not church, it's an honest expression of a pretty big slice of Americana (and beyond). As long as one person's belief are stated as such, and not mean spirited, ces't la vie.

Moderation takes way to much energy and usually spins itself into a frenzy. If we're going to moderate here, we should quickly get rid of some fun section like the overhang hall of shame. Or...is it OK to pick on SOBs? Non members? Non Americans?

Frankly, I'd rather let the loose cannons and socially inept show themselves in the open.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Cory, this may amaze even you, but I kind of agree. If People would just realize that these Coaches are worth exactly what the seller and buyer agree on, nothing else, We wouldn't be wasting Bill NYs time. Then as I have said before it depends on if you are buying or selling.

Posts: 257 | Location: Carolina Shores Nc | Member Since: 12-12-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
Picture of RainCatcher
posted Hide Post
Speaking as a new owner of a Barth found on this site, I very much appreciated the honest, unbiased information and answers to questions I had when making my decision to buy. It helped me appreciate the uniqueness of Barths, there being no two alike, and how that translated into the site and it's members and followers. That said I agree with Corey's comment "I'd rather let the loose cannons and socially inept show themselves in the open."

Cheers,

Mike

"Keep On Truckin"
94 30' Breakaway #3866
5.9 cummins on spartan chassis

Posts: 206 | Location: Seattle | Member Since: 04-22-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post