Forums    General Discussions    More spam and junk mail?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

More spam and junk mail?
 Login now/Join our community

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted
A new member of the website has complained about spam and junk mail skyrocketing since they signed onto the website. Has anyone else noticed this.

My sysop assures me since the code for this website is in Linux this should not happen. I also have McAfee review every email I have sent out. I would be very interested if others have experienced a simular jump in spam since signing on? Of course since this is a non commercial website there aren't any pop ups or banner advertizements.

Let me know!!

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/08
posted Hide Post
No spam or junk mail here,did get some pop up,but not from this SITE!They should think about another site they have sign on too.

------------------
Jay&Shelby 95 Regency 34ft. 300 hp.

Posts: 134 | Location: Harriman,Tn.U.S.A. | Member Since: 01-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flashnyellow
posted Hide Post
I have not had any at all Dave. No problems here.

------------------
Ronnie
1985 28' P-30 454

Posts: 61 | Location: Lafayette, LA USA | Member Since: 12-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
No problems here since day one. Furthermore, my ISP instituted a spam filter a few months ago and spam is now down to zilch.

They notify me of suspicious mail, ask me if I want to receive it or not, and will block any future mail from that site, if I ask. It works great.

Perhaps the cheapie ISPs make money from the spammers, as they do from the pop-up ads.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I get a bunch of spam but never anything that would seem to be associated with this site and no increase since joining.

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Yahoo Mail Plus (the Plus upgrade is well worth the money) filters my mail, and the small amount of spam that gets through is not RV related. Even before Yahoo refined their spam blocker, the spam I got was not RV related. Mostly mortgage, get rich, refinance, gamble, sex, the stuff you could get from anywhere. Of course, I do not post my address here or on any site, as people harvest addresses for sale to spammers.

Perhaps the new member found this forum while surfing other sites and one of them is to blame.

I would suggest anyone with a spam problem look at Yahoo Mail Plus. It is so good that I have to whitemail some senders that send out mass mailings, like newsletters, or Yahoo thinks it is spam and directs it to the bulk file. I got over 70 spams yesterday. They are constantly refining and improving their service.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dave,

No spam here.

Best regards,

Bill

Posts: 55 | Location: Hagerstown, MD, USA | Member Since: 07-24-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/08
Picture of Eric Herrle
posted Hide Post
All quiet on the Eastern front!

Posts: 216 | Location: Kailua Kona, HI & E. Waterboro, ME | Member Since: 06-27-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill Stevson
posted Hide Post
No Spam related to this site for me either.
By the way, I have been using a program called Mailwasher which lets me read and bounce any unwanted mail before it gets to my Outlook Express mailbox. Bouncing makes it appear to the sender that the address they sent mail to is not a valid address. You can download it free at www.mailwasher.com. He asks for a small donation but does not require it.

Posts: 113 | Location: Macks Creek, MO | Member Since: 11-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All Clear. No SPAM here.

Posts: 42 | Location: Loudon, TN, United States | Member Since: 12-23-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Warning: thread drift imminent.

Hey, Dave, isn't the Spam museum near you?

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Before we bought the Barthmobile we were considering the SPAMMOBILE

Click here fore a chuckle, have your speakers on.

http://www.oakparkskiclub.org/spam.htm

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post