Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

A great book for the traveler in us all
 Login now/Join our community

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted
"On the old highway maps of America, the main routes were red and the back roads blue."

Thus begins the forward, for Blue Highways, by William Least Heat-Moon

Moon states the truth of the ages which our modern credit culture precludes. "If a man couldn't make things go right he could at least go.

Moon was a college teacher who lost his job and wife at 36 because of budget cuts and low seniority and a guy named Rick or Chick. So on the road he went in his Econoline Van and barely $400.00 in his pocket. The adventures, sights, chance meetings and lessons of this road warrior makes the reader and wannabee traveler (me) lust for those blue highways.

Take a chance on this one and you won't be disappointed.

Dave

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
I read this one about a year ago.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09

Picture of garryp
posted Hide Post
I am part way through this book. Good so far, especially the area he went near the beginning of the book (TN) was my growing-up-stompin' grounds (Noname, Cookeville, Gainsboro and the City Cafe, Defeated, Difficult, Oak Ridge. He missed Highland, Gladdice, Bagdad). It took a couple of days for the author to wander away from the red routes.

Does make one wonder why I did not buy a $400 van! Or resurrect the old 1975 NuWay sitting in my yard.

A Nephew gave it to me for Christmas present.

Posts: 209 | Location: AZ | Member Since: 09-01-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post