Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

roof on my Barth TeaBus
 Login now/Join our community

posted
My roof has water marks beginning to show thru.Last year I used the aluminun paint that was supposed to seal it, but I think, perhaps I did not adhere it properly?
Has anyone put a lightweight rubber roof on their Barth? Or any other ideas? I know whatever I do, I'll have to seal around the air conditioner and vents and such.
Thanks!

------------------

Posts: 2 | Location: Athens Ohio USA | Member Since: 03-01-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
I'd recommend looking at:

http://www.proguardcoatings.com/

It's NOT a paint or coating, rather more like a thick membrane. Suggestion: Consider the Liquid Rubber version rather than the Liquid Roof version....same basic product, but Rubber is available from mfg. direct at about 1/2 the cost of Liquid Roof from RV suppliers.....

Hints:

1. It's two-part & VERY thick....You'll need a geared 1/2" drill to power a mixer paddle (I learned the hard way by smoking & trashing-out a 3/8" consumer-grade drill)

2. Mask-off the edges & remove tape ASAP after application....This stuff will hang almost vertical, so you can easily catch the seams at the front & rear radius panels.

3. Goes on with combination of squeegee, brush & roller....None of them do the job all by themselves, but all are needed at some point......

4. Wear only clothes you don't want to keep...you WILL get it on you...Rubber gloves will save you clean-up big time.

5. Even though it's a two-part product, next-day or next-week touch-ups are no problem....just keep it in the 'fridge for up to a couple weeks...needs higher temp to set-up. (I used the balance over an outdoor concrete shower base at the pool - nice!)

6.This is the first time I've used the product....Based on appearance & feel, it may well be the last time too...I'm expecting at least a decade or better out of it. It's EPDM, so I imagine chalking will take place in the future......

In general, it's less fun than golf, but more fun than a triple by-pass..Good luck!

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I will second Lee's recommendation on Liquid Rubber.

My previous coach had the standard Fleetwood leak where the front and rear caps joined the roof. Liquid Rubber did the job, and I recommended it to other Southwind/Pace Arrow owners who all had the same leak. It stopped them all. My neighbor bought my Southwind several years ago and still reports no leaks.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I triple that suggestion... it is GREAT stuff. I had a Winnebago that just wouldn't stay dry until I used that stuff. You can thin it a bit also, with Mineral Spirits... I thinned a small amount and drizzled it into cracks, and it followed the path of water... sealed them right up. I then went over the seams where the cracks were with the thick stuff. Works great. It flexes, does not set-up brittle at all. Very nice.

Posts: 159 | Location: Newington, CT USA | Member Since: 06-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post