Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Boondocking electrical power
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Doug Smiley
posted
Does this seem to be the best answer,.....

Free Spirit Energy Windwalker wind generator systems and it is under $500.00

http://www.freespiritenergy.com/

article review:
http://www.truckcampermagazine...alker-wind-generator

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2589 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I'd get a small solar controller to limit voltage to the batteries.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
From the site:

Think of the Windwalker generator as a “trickle charger” for your battery or battery bank.
---------------------------------------------------

That makes me think it is pretty low output.

I would suggest solar. It seems adequate sun is more likely than adequate wind. If one panel isn't enough to charge up after overnight usage, you can add another panel.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I guess it depends on where you go. I haven't seen the sun around here for a while. Meanwhile, WIND chill is -30...!

According to the site:

The windmill is rated 250 watts, 8.5 amps max, 30 volts (but at 12 volts, 250 watts/12 volts = ~20 amps... more like 12 volts x 8.5 amps = ~100 watts max) Max output would be at 30 mph wind.

It is rated from 8mph up to 30mph, I'd like to see the output at 8 mph where it will normally be running. (It does have the advantage at night, though) hmm

For the solar gurus: How many watts of solar panels can we buy for $400?

I guess on calm days we could just drive around with it at 30 mph! Just watch out for those low overpasses. (Dang there goes another antenna and a generator too!) ROTFLMAO

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5196 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
I keep a small solar panel on the dash of my plow truck ahd the Barth then keep the battery up since the truck/ Barth are used only so often. -14 Mon -10 today (heat wave). About $10.00 from Harbor Freigth, still working after 10 years.Big Grin All who wander are not lost.

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
quote:
For the solar gurus: How many watts of solar panels can we buy for $400?

90 W Harbor Freight

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I have been watching the wind generators evolution for a long time. This unit is VERY small for the claimed output of 8 amps. Yes Steve I also would like to see the output curve vs. wind MPH. PVC propeller blades are nice, light but very fragile.

So far I have not found a suitable unit that would do more than a small trickle charge. By suitable I mean light, easy to assemble, mount, and store-able.

Lots of DIY sites for wind and solar that discuss various designs. There is no free lunch for power generation.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Physics says the energy of wind increases/decreases with the square of velocity...

At 15 mph (1/2 speed) the output (at 100% efficiency) would be about 1/4 of full speed,(~2 amps)

Drop it to 7.5 mph it would be 1/16 of full speed, maybe 1/2 amp or so.

So at normal wind speeds we're talking about 1/2 amp x 12 volts = 6 watts...

Like ED says, TANSTAAFL! (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!)

Solar cells are closer to linear with respect to intensity... 1/2 as bright ~ 1/2 output. (still no good at night, though!)

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5196 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWrench:
There is no free lunch for power generation.

Not free, but the cost of solar can be offset by the savings associated with solar. And, the price of the panels keeps dropping, pushed by the entry of Chinese panels. And, once you've bought the solar, you no longer consume fuel to charge batteries. And, there is a convenience and perhaps a saving of battery life with the automatic charging of solar. This is particularly useful if the RV is stored away from a charging source.

Smaller controllers can be bought used from folks who have added more panels and need a larger capacity controller. Sometimes 12V panels can be bought from a user who wants to upgrade to a set of matched panels for the advantages of MPPT, or wants a 24 volt system.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post