Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Regency
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I'm looking at a 1990 Barth 32' Regency at a local RV lot, it is also posted here AOK RV's. It caught my eye because it don't look like all these plastic & fiber what ever RVs. Would this make a good starter RV for a newbe? How much would this RV be able to tow? Is the plumbing inside for winter use? Any parts hard to get or discontinued, especially windshields? Any info would be a great help.

Thanks
Tim

Posts: 4 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks | Member Since: 05-15-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Here's the one Tim's looking at.
http://barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6041087061/m/8201082803/p/1

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forums!

According to the picture of the data tag, GVW is 25,750 lbs, but the GCVW would have to be foound elsewhere.

Barths are among the highest quality coaches made - no particle board and top-grade interiors. All aluminum coachwork - and all but a few spots buck-riveted to an aircraft-type framework.

Windshields are easy, as they're the same as a bunch of GM trucks.

This coach is on a Spartan chassis, and their parts support is superb.

You should check the engine - it's either a 5.9L uprated about as far as it can/should go, or it's an 8.3 at its base rating.

Whether is the choice for a first RV, you'll have to decide - it isn't tiny, and will take some experience getting used to it...you won't find a better-built coach on the market under 40 feet.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
The engine is most likely an 8.3, but to be sure, post a picture here.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
Hi Tim
This coach is on the same chassis and has the same engine as ours (8.3 240 hp). You have great support from Spartan and Cummins and their dealer network all across North America so, even though Barth is no longer in business, have no fear. I took ours to Massey's in Phoenix for a full service, they are authorized Spartan/Cummins service depot and were great.
The windshields are from a GM truck called an Astro Cab (not the old Astro van!) and are not a problem.
We towed a 2001 Chevy Tracker 5 door about 6000 miles to Az and back this winter. No problems towing or with the coach. We set the cruise to 68 mph @ 2100 rpms and got about 9 - 10 mpg the couple of times I bothered to figure it out. She does slow down on the big hills though, wish we had the 300hp version that was available.
A windshield wiper arm broke and I stopped in at Rome Truck parts since it is on the way home and bought 2 new with new blades.
The ride and handling is great on ours, nice and quiet with the engine under the bed and 30' behind you! The interior is top quality, the only thing we have replaced is the convection microwave. We'll have to get new TVs next year though, ours are the originals and work perfect but won't do digital when the switch over occurs.
The diesel genny is likely a 7.5kw, noisey but bulletproof and nice if you boondock since it isn't using up your propane.
What do you plan to tow? These things have air brake stoppers that really work, a heavy duty Allison transmission and 22.5" wheels that are up to handling most normal tow-behind vehicles. We notice little difference with the Tracker in tow compared to without it, but it is a lightweight at 2900 lbs. I think the standard engine is not as powerful as todays diesels and would be the limiting factor in the hills.
Hope this helps. We love our Barth!
Don

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey thanks Dan & Suzy, Rusty,Bill,Don. Bill I will see about getting photos of that engine. Don I would like to be able to tow a couple Harleys or 83 Monte SS to car shows or 95 Jeep Wrangler to the the trails. I don't have the trailer yet but could buy an aluminum trailer to shed some weight. Where could I find the GCVW on this Barth?

Thank tou all again
Tim

Posts: 4 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks | Member Since: 05-15-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
There should be another data tag; mine's inside the front (generator) grille. Mine shows no GCVW; if I intended to tow, I'd call Spartan.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/11
Picture of Tom Loughney
posted Hide Post
I noticed the other day that the dealer changed the listing to "sale pending" So Tim must be the pending person.

I like that rig, it may be a little small for me as I am going to use it for a base camp in the States.

I live in Thailand most of the year but need to get back and visit. Got rid of the apartment last year, as I only used it for 8 weeks, so now I am a homeless person.

Tom

Tom Loughney
Barthless....

Posts: 202 | Location: Thailand  | Member Since: 03-31-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Tom it's not me he has another party thats buying it.

Tim

posted Hide Post
That's a nice one but I'm still suprised considering the price and this market. I would think it would have sold in the upper 20s.

Posts: 136 | Location: IL | Member Since: 08-25-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post