Tools
Reply To This Topic

Florida tire purchase advice
 Login now/Join our community

FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted
I'm going to get two new tag tires for my RV. Currently has all Michelin 315/80 R22.5 Pilote XZA. The steer and drive tires are all new, the tags are badly cracked. I thought about putting on new steers and moving the steer to the tag, but the steers are already very good.

Local prices are $729 ea for new Michelins and $567 for Toyo M11-Z

Any thought or advice for Florida tires?

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
A good tire guy would tell you to put the two new tires up front and move your present steer tires to the rear. Best to have the newest for steer tires. My opinion is to keep them all the same if you can. I don't like mixing tires under any condition.

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
Corey,

If you are having good wear & ride out of your Michelins I would stay with them.
I agree in trying to keep all the tires on the same axle the same brand or in your case same axle & tag axle, however you could but different
brand on the front.
For my personal cars I always have used Michelins, however on the Barth I replaced the Michelins with Good Year G149 RSA 9R22,5.
The main reason I did this is because Michelin was having a problem with coach tires and one thing that was noted is the tendency for cracking of the sidewalls. Now that I have said that they (Michelin) may have overcome the problem.
You could do an internet search in reference to Michelin Motor Home tire problems and see if there is any update.
I think I would shy away from Toyo.

Jim

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
Corey,

I just dug out the price I paid for the Goodyears.
$595.54 each.

Jim

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Check out Kumho. Had great service from them and that is what will go on the Newell. I have Bridgestones on Barth as that is what Sam's carried at the time.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
I agree in principle with staying with the same brand tires, but if I need to buy discount tires, I figure they can be on the tag axle and I'll leave the near new Michelins on the steer and drive axles.

I'm going to do some more research as you all suggested.

Thanks

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
I bought my tires while traveling through Arkansas:

Bobby Henard Tire Service
308 E Cypress St
Brinkley, AR 72021
800-664-1044
I saved hundreds compared to retail stores. He told me he ships all over the USA and Canada. You might call him.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post