Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Aluminum Wheel polish
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Don Scalzo
posted
I purchased at $55.00 a kit that was supposed to make wheel polishing a simple chore. This was at the Super RV Show in Tampa. The kit was put together by a company called Busch, and as far as I am concerned is a rip-off. I had to use rubbing compound to remove their polish.
I guess there are no simple solutions for that chore!

Posts: 196 | Location: Apollo Beach, Fl. USA | Member Since: 10-05-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
Alcoa has PDQ Brightener which works pretty good on my Harley. They gave away free samples from the Alcoa website. I also use Mother's mag polish. There is Wenol which I have seen used at car shows. If you don't like polishing all the time buy Zoop Seal. It is a 3 step process which claims to seal out corrosion with a ceramic like coating for up to 3 yrs.

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This product works better than anything else on the market. It will make an aluminum wheel shine like nearly chrome. http://www.heavymetalpolish.com/Products/Polishes/ The blue bottle is what you want.

Posts: 17 | Location: Columbia MO | Member Since: 10-22-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill Stevson
posted Hide Post
I thought you were supposed to drink Busch products.

------------------

Posts: 113 | Location: Macks Creek, MO | Member Since: 11-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Using an Ultra fine steel wool with "mothers" mag polish gives fast and unbelievable results too.

Posts: 199 | Location: Costa Mesa, CA 92626 USA | Member Since: 01-05-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Well,my own comparison testing results are now complete, and I can report that pre-mud certainly knows whereof he speaks regarding Heavy Metal Polish (URL in previous posting above).

As a dedicated aircraft polishing fanatic for many decades, I ALWAYS relied on Nuvite -considered the industry standard for aircraft-grade aluminum and trophy-class finishes.

Heavy Metal Polish allowed me to go from a tedious 3-step process down to 2-steps, and in some cases, only one! Plus, its liquid form is easier and faster than paste, and it seems to require less pressure - a definate atta-boy when you're facing 2-1/2 acres of motorhome surface. (My coach is only 24', but has zero exterior paint....)

Final sheen & luster is probably just a miniscule tad below the museum-quality result with Nuvite, but when I can reduce application workload by better than 50%, my answer is "who cares?".....I want my Barth to look nice as I use it - not to be a display item in the Smithsonian.......

Billet and heavier extruded/cast products "may" need something a little more aggressive, (haven't tried it there yet), but for aluminum sheet stock, Heavy Metal Polish is a winner in my book.

For most applications, I suggest you consider the GREEN grade for the initial job, followed by BLUE grade for final finish and all future maintenance applications.

Thanks pre-mud! (And the answer is NO, I am not a stockholder - just a new customer!

Lee
'78/24'/P30/454

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad you found the product to your liking Lee! That was a pretty impressive testimonial for their product for sure. I think I'll e-mail it to the company, maybe they'll send somebody a free bottle, Smiler

Posts: 17 | Location: Columbia MO | Member Since: 10-22-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
How about inviting them to the June Rally as a corporate sponsor, and have them bring a set of four dirty old 19.5" aluminum Ford/Deere rims to be used for a demonstration, and lots of their great product to give away to the participants. They could then run a show-and-tell, and then raffle the rims.

------------------

89 Barth Regal 32
Runs like a Deere
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mark Estep
posted Hide Post
Even better...have a raffle and the winner gets their coach done!!

[This message has been edited by Mark Estep (edited February 07, 2004).]

Posts: 65 | Location: Traveling the USA | Member Since: 11-25-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the Rally input Jack. How are you anyway? Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
Heavy Metal Polish??

is this good for things beside wheels??

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/12
Picture of Creepy Cawler
posted Hide Post
As a last step after rubbing all the black off from the polish take a little of your wife's baking powder on a clean rag and rub a little more. You'll see a difference!

Posts: 140 | Location: Freedom Pa. U.S.A | Member Since: 04-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Baking powder is good.....corn meal flour is a tad more aggressive without damaging luster.....

Mixed w/ water to a paste, rubbed in and removed with a Flitz ball on a drill makes for fast work....

Hint: Don't allow black crud to dry up or sit for any length of time - it'll take on the consistency of welding spatter....If it hardens up, laquer thinner softens it but smears it too...allow thinner to flash-off and start over.

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post