Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Class C towing capacity
 Login now/Join our community

posted Hide Post
Not sure whether this will load, it shows the weld of the tubing to the Chevy chassis. Haven't found out what the purpose of the square tubing next to the weld.

Chuck 1977 Class C

Posts: 73 | Location: Stillwater Mn | Member Since: 07-16-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Here are several pics of the hitch on 76 Class C. I understand you concerns. I have towed a 3500lb trailer with a hitch weight close to 500lb with the existing set up. At this point the welded additional bumper tubes show no sign of bending or cracking at joint to factory rear plate (bumper).

Here is side view of hitch,bumper, and tire carrier.

Tire carrier tilted back for access to storage compartment

Hitch and center dump valve

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
The following pics are as clear as I could get on hitch mounting.

Plates welded to hitch C channel and angle between extended tubing.

C channel welded to under coach cross member (part of fabricated hitch

End of cross member with vertical welded to extended tubing. note tubing welded to factory rear plate.

Side view of hitch mounting

Center mounted dump valve with 90 deg. fitting for ease of access.

My basic thought on additional bracing. Black existing frame and extended frame tube/bumper. Red show what I think will give added strenth. the vertical being welded to both factory rear plate and bumper extension tubes.(not to scale)

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WOW that's grate!!! Thank you for the photos!! They give me a few ideas. Its also nice to know that you have not had any problems with yours.
I have been hoping to start work on mine in the next few weeks. Its just a matter of getting some help (we have to do it on a day off) and the shop time to do it.
I will keep you posted. Smiler

Posts: 30 | Location: On the road | Member Since: 10-12-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
was that factory or did you have that done? Did they sell them with hitches?

Posts: 30 | Location: On the road | Member Since: 10-12-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Hitch was on it when I bought it. Not Factory. I added the bumper cover and tilt tire carrier. I towed 3500 lb trailer for about 1000 miles last year. Although I see no sign of failure I plan on adding additional support for my own comfort before pulling that trailer again. I weighed the tongue weight at just under 500 lb. For the most part I think who ever fabricated the hitch did a good job. but the strength of the extension frame joint concerns me.

I know from one of the ex welders from Barth that came to Milford GTG that Barth did install hitches on there Class A's from the factory. Don't Know of any Class C installs.

posted Hide Post
thanks for all the info! I am chomping at the bit to get started on mine. But it seems like a hury up and wait thing at the shop. trying to get free shop time is like pulling teeth even after your project has been given the go ahead from the owner. I will keep you posted and put up photos of the project.
thanks Smiler

posted Hide Post
Hay I was finally able to get my hitch built and installed. Smiler And after all the waiting for the free shop time to do the project. the project only took two and a half hours to get it all done.
But its done now. I will post photos as soon as I can.

posted Hide Post
Ok I finally got those photos uploaded. here is both front and back