Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Camarillo State Hospital
 Login now/Join our community

posted
A recent post referenced the State Hospital and it was what put Camarillo on the map. As I worked at the Hospital for 37 years, it has a dear place in my heart. I loved working there and was heartbroken to see it close in 1997. In short order, I discovered what a joy it is to befriend many of the residents that lived there. I considered many. many of them my personal friends. But another note about Camarillo, if you get the chance, look up Camarillo's weather on the web. Average 72 degrees, but it does drop down to a chilly 60 at night. I remember a couple years ago, it got up to 88. We thought we were gonna die. Rumor has it that National Geographic stated, about 20 years ago, that we enjoy the second best climate in the world. Someplace in Italy was 1st. Eight miles from the beach and a view of the Channel Islands. Camarillo may be known for the "Hotel California" (listen to the words carefully), but its beauty and climate would be hard to match.

Posts: 42 | Location: Camarillo, Ca. USA | Member Since: 12-24-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
I ditto that Terry. Having grown up there in Oxnard almost everyone we knew either worked at one of the many military bases, (Port Hueneme Naval, Pt. Mugu and the old Oxnard Air Force Base, or Camarillo State Hospital. My sister-in-laws mother worked there here entire working life, (last name McIntosh). I was a union musician while in high school and we used to love to play there every month or so because we got full union wage.

I'll bet you ten buck we have some common acquaintances Terry.

------------------

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited June 04, 2004).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dave, can I ask what in God's name is a southern California boy doing living in the frozen tundra region? That in its self could had qualified you for a stay at the institute.

The Eagles Hotel California is my all time favorite song and surprisingly so many of the younger generation love it - my kids sure do.
Remember - "you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave".

Posts: 34 | Location: Brandenburg, KY USA | Member Since: 02-15-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dave, does the name Carla McIntosh ring a bell. Had a crush on her in high school. The Eagles also reference mirror on the wall
(we had "time out" room mirrors to see all areas through the door)Also the wine (red cool aid was use to cut the taste of thorazine).The steely knives, (needles) they go on and on. People that worked there recognize many of the references. The album photo is our main Bell Tower Building. At one time, the patient population was 7,000 ...........Dave, ever cruise "A" Street?

Posts: 42 | Location: Camarillo, Ca. USA | Member Since: 12-24-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Terry, I may be wrong but I don't think so. Carla's sister Sandy is my sister-in-law. Go by Barber Ford and ask my brother Steve, I think they are going on 35 years now. Carla's mom also worked there for here entire working life. Did you ever know anyone in the security department by the name of Al Rivera?

Did indeed cruise A in my 1957 Fiat Bus. Ever go to the Roller Gardens on Saturday night? Remember the Dartells?

------------------

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited June 05, 2004).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Hey Nick,

I have been on the Tundra for 28 years. In 1976 I was working in Chatsworth, CA, lived in Simi Vally. I was an engineer making all of $9K a year and a company in Baldwin, WI was benevolent enough to offer me $14K. WOW we were in hog heaven. Thought we were going to be rich in Wisconsin. Turns out housing prices were about the same and taxes were double plus I was in Baldwin, WI. At that time there wasn't one business that even took Visa. Don't think I'd go back to Oxnard though. The house I sold in Simi for $35K back then recently sold for 300+. Guess you can't go back home, at least financially.

------------------

posted Hide Post
Nick, hate to break it to you, but last month, the newspaper said that the average house in Camarillo was $613,000. Simi is about $30,000 cheaper.
Dave, yes, I knew of Al in security. Knew Carla's mom... In fact, I recently went to the beach party in Ventura and saw Dick Dale...

posted Hide Post
Dave - Terry,
I actually envy anyone who could have or does live in California. Well maybe not the congested metropolis areas. But explain how anyone could afford a $600,000 house. I used to make $30 an hour and contracted for as high as $45 and in a specialty field. Wouldn't a person or family have to bring down way over 150 grand a year - man?
I guess living there maybe a person can afford a diesel Barth - not in Kentucky. Why we have to run our contraptions on Moonshine half the time.

Posts: 34 | Location: Brandenburg, KY USA | Member Since: 02-15-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is interesting to note that very few of the multitudes that move out of California ever move back. Does that tell you something?? We escaped 10 years ago.

------------------
Gary & Edie
North Idaho
1988 28' P-30 454

Posts: 138 | Location: Hayden Lake (Coeur d'Alene), ID USA | Member Since: 11-14-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
One of the reasons folks don't move back is because they can't afford to. Calif property has gone way up while they were gone.

This is not intended to be a defense of California. We are leaving, too.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
After moving to Minnesota from California, I used to go out every year for a convention in Anaheim. Of course, I would almost always travel to Ventura (the cities we're talking about Oxnard, Camarillo are in Ventura Co.) and I watched them building houses to the top of every hill.

Just south of Camarillo on Highway 101 is a large hill one has to drive up to get to Los Angeles. It is called the Conego Grade. Coming down the grade from south to north you would have the most wonderful view of the entire vally, which, when I was young, was entirely fields of tomatoes primarily but also Orange groves, avocado trees etc. And of course Hwy 101 was lined for miles with sky high Eucalyptus trees.

Now when you go over the grade you see nothing but roofs from the top of the hill to the bottom of the valley. Eucalyptus trees are long gone as they have widened the freeway.

When in high school we used to talk about a megatropolis in California. That would be a situation where you could drive on highway 1 from the Mexican border to San Francisco without ever getting out of town. I have to say I think that has virtually been the case for many years now.

If I moved back to California the few areas that I would live would be, the beach are around Port Hueneme, Stinson Beach (north of San Francisco) and my big dream is to have a home on Catalina Island, my favorite place on earth. But in fact, I wouldn't be able to afford enough acreage to park my Barth in either of these places.

By the way, I have been to the Ronald Reagan Museum in Simi Valley 4 times. It is the most wonderful place, especially on a warm windy day. Whether you are a supporter or not, (I am, big time)you will find it to be the most wonderful, historical place.

------------------

posted Hide Post
Nick, I know, housing is crazy out here. I know there is a lot of creative financing. Interest only, low starting rate. In the last 3 years, people just want to get into a home, even if they can't afford it, because the market has been going up $100k a year. People make their 200 to 300k in a couple of years and then pay cash in Middletown, USA. Some people thing there's going to be a crash here. We'll see.
For me, the weather is the only draw, bad traffic, rude people, high housing and crowded. I think about moving every time it rains.