Tools
Reply To This Topic

A Bigger Barth
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
Our 28', rear bath, 454, Regal has proved to be a lot of fun for us on short weekend trips etc. But we're considering being able to spend a little more time in the coach, and carry a little more stuff with us (wihour towing anything). More basement storage, a little larger bathroom, is all we need. What do you all think we should look for? I'm comfortable with the 454, and am a little afraid of the maintenance costs of a diesel pusher. I don't see us taking a lot of long distance trips, mostly back and forth between North Carolina and Tennessee. The 193" wheelbase on our Regal has made it a dream to drive, and the Gear Vendors and Nology Hot wires set up gets us 12mpg. Maybe we should get a small trailer for our stuff, or something we could put on the rear bumper of the Regal. Look forward to the advice.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I'm facing the same dilemma - even with the generous basements on StaRV II, I'm getting pressed for space.

I'm seriously considering a small enclosed trailer, rather than another Barth, as this one was in superb shape when I bought it, and I've done some significant upgrades to the drivetrain.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
A couple of weeks ago, I saw a motor home on the interstate with a large, fiberglass trunk kind of thing attached to the rear bumper. It was about 4/5 feet long, maybetwo feet wide and three feet high. all nicely made with a lid of some kind. It sat on top of the bumper, sort of like a spare tire does. I'm going to look for one and will let you know what I find.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
On the Euro I have a rack that attaches to the trailer hitch reciever. It's the same width as the bumper and about 2 feet wide. I use it for firewood, the outdoor fireplace, coolers, and the portable holding tank. If I were to need an enclosed space, I would look at a marine center for a dock locker to bolt on the rack. The rack is very strong, it's removable, and it has a reciever in the back for a trailor or bike rack.
http://www.etrailer.com/cargo-carrier.aspx

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Harbor Freight sells a rack that fits into a 2 inch receiver. Looks pretty good. However, it is weak and flexible. It is rated for 500 lbs, and appeared in danger of terminal ricketness with a 400 pound motorcycle on it. It never got out of the driveway, even with stabilizer braces to the bumper on each side.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
Rusty: To me small trailers are like RVs, some good and some ok. My youngest son helped put hin in college for 4 years with a landscaping business using a Wells Cargo trailer. They are built with steel bows, aluminum skin and fiberglass corners to act as skylights. It is a 1980 model and his older brother is now using it to haul stuff for his home expansion. Only work to it has been bulbs,tires, and an added pressure treated 3/4 second floor from all the equipment pulled over it. It still cleans up like new. JKB 28' Regal 454 All who wander are not lost.

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Thanks, John. One of my friends has a sizeable trailer dealership, and he sells only better-quality stuff - I intend to see what he recommends if I go that way.

Of course, if someone were to list a 32' Regency, I might be inclined to cut down some trees along the driveway so I could get it in.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Were all the 32 Regencies, diesel pushers? What did Barth offer in front engine coaches in the 30' to 32' range that had good basement storage?

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Picture of Lloyd Knudson
posted Hide Post
Rusty thereis a 89 regency that Iiooked at and was very nice. go here to take a look www.foleyrv.com this is in Burlingto WA.

1991 regency 300 cat 9kw genset

Posts: 36 | Location: monroe wa. | Member Since: 04-04-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Lloyd, that one's VERY nice...for some reason, the few Regency 32s Ive seen or heard of have the rear doubles - I'd prefer a Queen (my dogs sleep with me, but are NOT spoiled).

Somewhere, it'd be nice to see photos that disclosed the basement storage on Regencies, but none has emerged.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Does the 32' Regency use the Spartan chassis?

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09

Picture of garryp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Zeeff:
On the Euro I have a rack that attaches to the trailer hitch reciever. It's the same width as the bumper and about 2 feet wide. I use it for firewood, the outdoor fireplace, coolers, and the portable holding tank. If I were to need an enclosed space, I would look at a marine center for a dock locker to bolt on the rack. The rack is very strong, it's removable, and it has a reciever in the back for a trailor or bike rack.
http://www.etrailer.com/cargo-carrier.aspx

Are the extended hitches strong enough to pull a car? I have always had my doubts about that, keeping me from considering purchase of a hitch mount something.

Posts: 209 | Location: AZ | Member Since: 09-01-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by garryp:
Are the extended hitches strong enough to pull a car? I have always had my doubts about that, keeping me from considering purchase of a hitch mount something.

They can be. If there is any doubt, consult with a hitch builder who puts hitches on trucks with long campers. They have to extend quite a bit to the rear.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
The only things I've stuck in the back of the rack was a bicycle carrier and at a different time a regular ball to haul my 14 ft john boat. Both very light and no problem. I don't think I'd ever hook up a car or heavy boat behind the rack. Even with the bike rack our overhang was in the H R range and we hit a couple times. This becomes much more important when going backwards than frontwards.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
This looks like an item for a really safe situation doesn't it?

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post