Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

New Barth Owners
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of L. Conger
posted
As of the end of the week, we will be the proud owners of a 1989 Barth Regency, 36'. The exterior is in terrific shape with the exception of the roof, where oxidation detracts. The present owner has refinishing (not sure that's the right term) all arranged. Mechanically, this is one sound coach. Buying it from a gentlemen whose runs a highly reputable diesel repair business.

The interior is, well, yuk best describes it. Qualify this by saying the quality is there, but after having been lived in by a bachelor (not the current owner)it suffers from benign neglect. Seems he had am aversion to vacuum cleaners or wasn't aware of the technology. The good news is that we're actually glad to find a coach with opportunity for cosmetic work for several reasons. It's a decorating challenge, the price (17,500) allows for upgrades and we can give it our personality and preferences (as budget allows, of course). Carpet will be replaced, as will the furniture. But, first a thorough cleaning that will involve lots of elbow grease.

The cherry wood, and lots of it, in this coach is incredibly high end. A cleaning and polish will bring it back to a beautiful patina. In a couple of places where that's more iffy, it's solid wood, so sanding and refinishing is an option.

There's much to be done, but again cosmetic. Any ideas for redecorating would be appreciated, especially on the lighting, wall refinishing, redoing the vinyl ceiling (in tact, just preference) and kitchen and bath modernization side (mainly counter tops - thinking of a granite veneer). Someday a new shower.

As a side note, we bought this coach from a wonderful gentlemen, totally honest, knowledge of mechanics, especially on big rigs, and most accommodating. Unfortunately due to health issues, he's not going to be able to use the motorhome. Just goes to show that there are terrific people out there that you can meet in the most unexpected settings.

I'm sure we'll be posting lots of questions and seeking input. Long post I know, but we're excited novices and wanted to share our good fortune which a group that could appreciate the coach we bought. We spent several years looking for an older Bluebird because of their mechanical integrity, safety and build quality. But, when I just happened to find the Barth on Craigslist, we decided to take a look. We're of the opinion that we have done equally well as with a Bluebird. A price tag of $250,000 in 1989 (assuming we have the right data here), bought high end Can't wait to experience travel in this road worthy warrior. We are in Raleigh, NC.

All thoughts, comments, input welcome.

Lynn

Posts: 3 | Location: Cary, NC | Member Since: 08-04-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
Lynn, congraulations, was this the one in Sanford NC? From a Mr. Gordon? Thanks Ray (sky)

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Congrats & welcome to the forums! Thumbs Up

Might you have a few photos to share with us. Do you have one of the data tag too? hmm

Send em to bill_ny@barthmobile.com if you're having a problem posting them yourself.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of L. Conger
posted Hide Post
Ray, yes, we did purchase from Bill Gordon in Sanford. Hope we didn't take something you were considering buying

Posts: 3 | Location: Cary, NC | Member Since: 08-04-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of L. Conger
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Will be glad to post pictures as soon as we have the coach in our possession. It will likely be a couple of weeks, as I have to leave town on business. I don't have the tag info at hand, but will provide the data as soon as I can, as well as a picture of it.

I hope the pictures will be a good chronicle of the before and after. No buyers remorse, just an occasional moment or two of panic that we have no idea what we're doing, either with refurbishing or owning a motorhome. Hopefully logic, research and a listening ear toward those more experienced will get us through without major blunders. My husband is retired and I can go at any point. We wanted to get used to the motorhome before embarking on some extended trips. Of course, if our early twenties son doesn't move onto his own place soon, we may sell the house and consider living arrangements on wheels where comfortable capacity is limited to two people!!!!

Thanks for the welcome from both you and Ray.

Lynn

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
we got pics and data tag under Barth sightings courtesy of Nick and sky

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
Picture of Kris & Tina Jones
posted Hide Post
A big Welcome from Tina and I! Smiler Thumbs Up Congrats on the aquisition or the new Regency! Hope to see you flks at a GTG real soon and we hope you become as big of Barth geeks, I mean Barth enthusiests as we all are! Big Grin

Posts: 486 | Location: Detroit, Michigan | Member Since: 02-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Lotsa pictures of the interior and data tag HERE

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of StinkyDaddy
posted Hide Post
Hey Lynn
We saw the ad for your coach and talked about what a great deal it looked like. Have fun with your renovation.
We passed thru Raleigh on the way to the Outer Banks a couple of days ago. You guys aren't that far from us, we're about an hour west of Danville, VA.

Wm.

Bill & Sherrie
'65 Barth Travel Trailer (built in '64)
B1-174-24
'66 Barth Travel Trailer
D11-412-24
www.WilliamMitchellStudios.com

Posts: 549 | Location: Southern Virginia | Member Since: 09-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
Lynn, I have a Regency coach now. It is listed in my signature. My son was supposed to go look at it this weekend and take some pics of it for some one else consideration. I hope you realoly enjoy it. There are some pics and data card on the above post. Bill NY is our highly trained mechanic and moderator whom keeps this all together. If you have any questions about the mechanics Bill and some other people on this forum can really help on most any matters. You will find this bunch will try to help in any way possible. Good luck and happy motoring. My son lives in Apex and was just going to get more info and such on the coach. I really didn't think it would last long. Hope to meet you all at one of the gettogethers. Ray (sky)

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/10
Picture of Scott W
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your "new" barth. My husband and I just bought a 93 Breakaway. You have come to the right place to get your questions answered. Everybody has been most helpful to us. We bought ours from an elderly couple and they had not used it for 10 years. Thankfully, the inside is just like new. However, they couldn't remember anything about it. So we have had to figure every thing out on our own(and the help of this website). I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing about your progress. Keep us posted. Jaime

1993 Breakaway XL 36'
250 hp 8.3 Cummins
Spartan Chassis

Posts: 13 | Location: Cedar Bluff Al | Member Since: 05-20-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Congrats and hope to see you at the Florida Barth get together. If interested, look at the postings in the Barth Get Together area of Barthmobile.com

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
Lynn. Congratulations on your purchase. You are going to love your Barth and this website!
We bought our coach for the same reasons you did. They are truly one of the finest motorhomes ever built. Pretty well bullet proof and your Spartan/Cummins combo is serviceable just about anywhere.
Exclusive too! Your coach is # 130 and was built almost 10 months before ours which is # 140. Ten Regencies in 10 months! It is also a similar layout, with the galley curbside but is 2 feet longer and has the 300 hp Cummins, our 8.3 is only 240 hp.
Like you, we also wanted a quality unit for our retirement, so these last 3 years the Barth has taken us to Arizona twice and Florida once. It will be heading back to Az again this winter.
Cheers and enjoy!
Don

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
When you get to the interior work consider using UltraLeather for your seating and upholstery. It is extremely durable and comfortable and easy to install. Your seats appear to be FlexSteel so they are well worth the re-upholstery. If you are adventurous you can do most of the work yourself. Replace all the foam usually there will be two types, a more rigid for support and a thin layer of foam or batting for the top areas and arms. This is generally glued and stapled and you can get an upholstery stapler in pawn shops or upholstery supply house. The beds deserve the Select Comfort Mattress which comes in RV Queen sizes and you will never regret it. Carpet is easy and you can underlay with Dynomat which will virtually eliminate road noise and reduce heat transfer under the rear bed. We didn't mess with the day night curtains as they are way too difficult to repair once dry rot and sunlight start working. Though not cheap the new fabrics and designs make an immediate statement of quality for the Barth.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom K:
We didn't mess with the day night curtains as they are way too difficult to repair once dry rot and sunlight start working.

We like them, but the rot is definitely their weakness.

Does anyone know of a source for just the replacement material? It is easy to slip in and out, once the strings are removed. The sheers seem to be the first to fail, right at the fold lines.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post