Forums    General Discussions    Glamping???
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Glamping???
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of DougZ
posted
FOX News introduced "glamping" this morning. They showed some of the ultra high end 5th wheelers and campers. I don't think I have ever been in homes as nice as some of these campers. The sad truth is that I know this beauty is probably only skin deep. They are probably just sticks and staples like the cheaper ones. It sure would be fun to imagine what Barth would be building if it was still around and under the original ownership.

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
quote:
It sure would be fun to imagine what Barth would be building if it was still around

Maybe they'd invent a slide that worked, didn't leak, and was an integral part of the structure. Wouldn't THAT be a one-of-a-kind?

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
It sure would be fun to imagine what Barth would be building if it was still around and under the original ownership.

It would be called Bar-well, because Newell and Barth would not have individually survived and either one went away or they would have merged. Today's Newell is probably as close to what Barth would produce as anything we can imagine.

All that being said, low cost RVs have revolutionized the market by taking it from an elitist toy, to a suburban fixture. We would not have the choice of campgrounds, state park access, and much more had the low cost guys not come into play. How many of us started our RVing adventure with a new $2.4M Newell? Heck, how many would have bought the Barth new at the adjusted prices for inflation?

I'm with you on the "skin deep". I always advise people to buy quality over glam. Reminds me of Sadam's palaces where gold leaf was smeared over totally shoddy material and workmanship to give the aura of "rich". Yuk nono

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
The trailers used by major actors when on location are incredible. There is quite a competition among them to outdo each other. Some are even two story. Sadly, most of them have more money than taste.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Actually, Barth might have gone the way of computer freeware, combined with Open Office and produced a free computerized virtual motorhome called "Open Bar."

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard_Muise:
Actually, Barth might have gone the way of computer freeware, combined with Open Office and produced a free computerized virtual motorhome called "Open Bar."

That one is going to be hard to top. Wink

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Moonbeam-Express:
Reminds me of Saddam's palaces where gold leaf was smeared over totally shoddy material and workmanship to give the aura of "rich". Yuk nono

That kind of taste is endemic in that area.

Have you seen all the gold-plated guns he had?

I believe a gold plated AK is about the worse example I have ever seen of putting lipstick on a pig.

Somewhere, someone sent me shots of gold-plated guns captured from Mexican drug lords. Again, bad taste, and rather interesting choice of firearms.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post