Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Corian Stove-top Cover
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/09
Picture of towerguy
posted
I have a 1990 38' Regency. The original corian 2 piece cover that sits over the stove top was apparently broken when it fell on the floor. Whoever fixed it, used "gorilla glue" and pieced it together incorectly. I'm going to have it repaired using the correct adhesive but I'd like to know if anyone has a picture of the way it was supposed to be pieced together.

Thanks! Bill

Bill, Sharron, Hayley and Bridgett

1990 38' Regency Widebody [RDG-B), Anniversary Edition, Cat 3208TA - 300HP, Gillig Chassis, Side Aisle

"Stagecoach"
1990 38' Regency Widebody (RDG-B)
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Posts: 480 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Member Since: 04-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Can you send a picture of the stove and the cover? I have a 1993 Regency with a four burner stove, but the cover is a single sheet with pieces under the lip at the rear and front.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
corian stovetop

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Very nice, Roy. How thick is the cover? Is its weight an issue?

We have a new stove with oven that will replace our cooktop some time in the future. Our counter is Formica, but now I have Counter Envy.

How is that front piece atteched to the top piece? The wood inset is a very nice touch.
Van's did it again.

Thread drift alert........Someone here mentioned "Amish cabinetry" in their Barth. My own preference in Germanic Anabaptist woodcraft is Hutterite, but the name Van's would presuppose some sort of Calvinist connection, would it not?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Always unanticipated questions. Thickness - I'd guess 7/16" +-. Weight - more than I like to lift, but manageable. Assembly - held together with whatever kind of stickum Corian installers use.

Wood insert by olroy, cut from standard veneer stripping out of our local builder's supply, stained to match the cabinetry.

The original plastic coated stripping was frayed, shaggy, & peeling. I replaced it all, & most of the drawer & cabinet edges as well. The replacement veneer comes with iron-on glue backing. I used a model builder's iron to stick it.

Biggest problem was stripping yards of the stuff down from its original 1" width. Took some thought, & messing with alternatives, but not a real problem for a guy who built a kayak out of 3' laths, orange crates, & muslin, when he was 10.

If I were installing new counters in a boat or RV, I'd ditch the Corian for some lighter alternative. I've always thought it would be neat to make counter tops from Boeing surplus honeycomb deck/bulkhead material, skinned with the thinnest laminate available.

A guy who works on the big birds in sunny SoCal should have access to that kind of stuff, either surplus new material, or leftovers from aircraft remodels.(Intentional or unintentional)

Sorry, I don't have enough expertise in the woodworking capabilities of different obscure religious sects to comment, beyond the fact I know they all are better at it than I am.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I were installing new counters in a boat or RV, I'd ditch the Corian for some lighter alternative. I've always thought it would be neat to make counter tops from Boeing surplus honeycomb deck/bulkhead material, skinned with the thinnest laminate available.

Yeah. Honeycomb is nice. I believe Revcon used it a lot. I might give it a try. I still have some left over from when I put a new floor in the boat. Lighter is faster. Smiler

But Susan has a Corian fetish, so I might have to indulge it. I already showed her your pictures, so the die is cast.

quote:
A guy who works on the big birds in sunny SoCal should have access to that kind of stuff, either surplus new material, or leftovers from aircraft remodels.(Intentional or unintentional)

I am retired now, so no more freebies. The TSA hires criminals to steal your stuff, but I can't get near my old haunts. Not even for social functions. Our retiree association has to rent a hall now.

To make matters worse, North American Surplus closed. That was my source for over forty years. Frowner I can only dream of how nice Boeing Surplus must be.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09

Picture of garryp
posted Hide Post
quote:
We have a new stove with oven that will replace our cooktop some time in the future.

I have stove envy. I have a two-burber electric,perhaps great for rersort campers, but I am allergic to resorts.

I really really want to imsta;; a gas stove, even though I have to give up cabinet space.

Has anyone accomplished this? Before/after pics?

Thanks

Posts: 209 | Location: AZ | Member Since: 09-01-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
The pictures posted by olroy are identical to mine except mine was apparently a two piece item. After it apparently fell on the floor, it is now a three piece item. It looks as if it was in five pieces but there was some glue involved and it appears to be assembled backwards. I'd love it if I could find an original here on barthmobile.com but I'll bet I'll have to have one made.

1990 38' Regency Widebody [RDG-B), Anniversary Edition, Cat 3208TA - 300HP, Gillig Chassis, Side Aisle

"Stagecoach"
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Posts: 480 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Member Since: 04-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Corian requires a special epoxy to fasten. I have some that you're welcome to, but it's quite old (it also works decently on ABS plastic) - but if you decide to try to repair it yourself, it's probably worth it (free, about $3 postage).

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
garryp - You might consider a 2-burner gas drop in. Ought to just about fit where the 2-burner electric is.

In all our years of boating & RV-ing, we never used more than 2-burners at a time, & rarely used the gas oven when we had one.

Our Barth has only the counter top unit, no gas oven. When boondocking we never needed to bake or broil except on a grill outside. We've always carried a cheap toaster oven, & of course there's the microwave. You can fire up either one with the genny if you're without shore power, & neither one needs to be on for long.

Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
It has the corner broken off so, if I have it repaired, I had better have it done professionally. I want it to look better than it did with the gorilla glue repair job it had. The gap became so large that the repaired piece would no longer fit in place.

My stove top is a four burner gas that will be replaced with a new four burner gas in a couple of days. The old one just looks too lousy and, since control of the kitchen has been turned over to wife, she has requested a new one. when considering the old rule "Happy wife, happy life," you know I have to comply.

"Stagecoach"
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
My 1993 Regency is the same as OlRoy's. Here is a site in Houston that fabricates and repairs Corian.: http://www.geocities.com/houstonctops/
There should be a similar company in any large city who supplies the building trades. See: http://www.cshba.com/ for Colorado Springs.
They can tell you who supplies your local builders and then you can call. I suspect they use an epoxy as Corian is a stone mix and there are a number of epoxies we use to seal cracks in concrete that should work. Most repairs are invisible and stronger than the original.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post