Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

converting rear twins to queen
 Login now/Join our community

posted
we're considering a Barth with rear twins...we prefer a rear queen...has anyone done this or heard of it being done...we have seen such conversions on airstreams...thank for any help...jenandjoe

Posts: 42 | Location: Canton, TX USA | Member Since: 06-20-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Depends on what's under those twins, and whether it can be moved, or covered to give you walk around, or crawl around space. Look in the lockers under the beds, or in the outside storage compartments if they are there. Then you'll have a better idea of what's involved.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I did it. Be sure the bedroom is long enough to allow a little room at the foot of the bed.

My twins had a little bin at the head of each bed, against the rear wall. The twin beds went up against the forward wall. That meant that when I took out the beds and the bins, the bedroom was a little longer than the mattress, allowing shin room to walk between the bed and the front wall. If the bins had not been there, the bedroom would have been too short to allow legroom around the foot of the bed.

I describe this only to alert you to the length issue. Even with the shin room we have, I shortened the bed platform and cut off the corners at the foot to make it easier to move around.

If the bedroom is the same length as your bed, you would end up crawling right onto the bed from the doorway. That may or not be OK, but be sure you address the issue.

Otherwise, as Roy says, take a look and see what you gotta remove or relocate. I put in a new water tank and removed the furnace completely. We are hardy souls and don't sleep with heat on for safety reasons, anyway.

I made a lift-up bed platform with air springs, and made a cave for a humongous ice chest under the bed. On each side of the bed, where a night stand would be, is a storage bin, accessible from outside doors, as was original. As a temporary measure, we have three-drawer Sterilite unit on each side to hold us over till I do some cabinet making. We love the set up.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure which previous owner(1st or 2nd) converted to the queen mattress. But for sure I'm gland it was done. I'm 6'2" so the singles would have been a little cramped for me. Anyway, the way mine was done was crossways rather than lengthwise. An enclosure was made acrocross the aisle way to stablize the queen bed. There is approximately a foot at the end or head of the bed( which ever way U prefer) and approx 15-18 inches on the side. The woodworks for the twin beds are still in place but is not a problem for me as a single person. It is a little uncomfortable in making the bed but what the heck. You give something every time you get something. Anyway, that's my setup. Hope it at least gives u an extra idea.

------------------

Posts: 16 | Location: Durant, Ms, USA | Member Since: 06-02-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks for the help...the rear twins 31' is a now a definate possibility...if i can get a responce from the owner...joe

Posts: 42 | Location: Canton, TX USA | Member Since: 06-20-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bill h. the echo is back. Help Help

Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post