Barthmobile Portal
Is pulling a car with a Breakaway doable?

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9331087061/m/7231026513

07-09-2008, 10:50 AM
Raymag
Is pulling a car with a Breakaway doable?
My 30ft 1991 Breakaway has the 190HP Cummins engine coupled to the 4 speed Allison transmission.
I know that this combination is a bit under powered.
This fact is more evident when I go uphill and the transmission starts to heat up more.

I would like to hear from people who have this type of setup. I know that I should be able to tow a car on flat land, but are you able to tow a small car up moderate hills?

I don't want to go thru the Rockies, but I'm wondering if I would be able to go thru the mountains of Pennsylvania for example.

Before considering the expense of the tow bar and the car attachments, I would like to know if I would be severely limited ( ie: confined to flat land).

Thank you

Real

1991 Breakaway 30Ft
5.9L Cummins Diesel
Spartan Frame
4 Speed Allison Model 542
Front Entrance
Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension
07-09-2008, 08:31 PM
Rusty
sniboy (who hasn't posted in a while), towed a Subaru Impreza with his 28' 160HP Breakaway, without incident, for 10K miles.

Dropping to a lower gear or installing an external AT cooler would ameliorate the heating issues. Temp increase in an AT during long grade pulls is normal; one wouldn't want to go above 240°F for an extended period (an hour +).

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields