Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Back in N. Florida with our new Breakaway
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of vince900ss
posted
Although we just joined and have only posted a few times, I've been doing a lot of reading on the site. Arrived home yesterday, after flying to Mississippi and buying the 93 30.5 Breakaway that Tim owned up there. Tim and his wife Debra were very nice folks, and seemed to really like the coach. But I think it was a bit too much for them to maintain it in the manner that it deserves...and requires really. Drove it home with no major problems. Overall, we're very pleased with our purchase so far. Paint is mostly in excellent condition, and the majority of the interior is very nice. Walls, ceiling, teak woodwork all mostly very nice shape. Carpeting is pretty awful (original) and needs replacing, and the entire interior is badly in need of a really good cleaning. Lot's of mostly minor (I think) deferred maintenance and repair items (garage door latches and some corrosion, entry door weatherstripping, air pressure slow to build in brakes and seem to pull a bit, shocks probably needed, roof re-seal, loose aluminum parts needing rivets, etc. etc.). But the important stuff all seems solid. Next step is to get that part checked out by a good diesel mechanic (don't have one yet so if there are any recommendations that would be great; Rusty is going to speak with me when he gets home, and I imagine he'll have some thoughts on this; he lives just a few miles from me as it turns out! So he may be the best chance for a good recommendation near Gainesville, FL). I'm a good do-it-yourselfer and a guy who can work on his vehicles...but not a mechanic by any means. I still have lots of things to check out on it, as it wasn't really feasible to do so at Tim's house. We're planning our first trip...to NY and NJ with stops along the way (will be in Kingston, NY, just a stones throw from Bill) in August. So I have some time to put the major stuff right before then. The rest will be done over time.
Thanks Bill, for your assistance. Much appreciated. Anyway, this will keep me busy (not that I need another project, really!) until it's closer to where we'd like it to be. But I know we're really going to enjoy the coach.
Looking forward to meeting you folks...as we do expect to make Tampa in December.

Vince & Michelle
1993 Front entry Breakaway 30.5
Cummings 5.9 190 HP with Banks upgrade to 210 HP, Allison 4 speed
Spartan Chassis

Posts: 78 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Member Since: 06-04-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear it all worked out Vince. I always fear the email that states that it didn't work out, such a waste of time.

I'm sure Rusty will be your greatest asset with a Breakaway. Between Rusty and MWrench, you've got the world's leading experts on Breakaways at your disposal.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vince900ss
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much. I have made some long trips for nothing in the past (car; not coach). I am looking forward to Rusty's thoughts and input once I show this to him...since he lives just up the road. I'm sure his observations will help me to complete my to do list and to prioritize same. And hopefully, he'll agree that it was a sound purchase.

Vince & Michelle
Spartan Chassis

Posts: 78 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Member Since: 06-04-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
"Minor deferred maintenance," on a 17 year old coach can become a lifetime hobby. Mine was only 16 when I bought it, & though I had much of it done when I had to give it up 4 years later, the original do-list of 40 or so "minor," items continued to grow, though I was gaining on it daily.

I'm not complaining, I enjoyed it. Just be forewarned.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vince900ss
posted Hide Post
You're right I'm sure. As a former boat owner, I am used to it. I haven't written it all down yet (or even found it all)...maybe because I don't want to see how many items are on the list. And as you said, it will continue to grow anyway. I think all you can hope for is to get the major stuff that would keep you from using it done, and then try to keep the list from growing. If you can take them off as fast as the new ones are added, I guess that's progress of a sort!

Vince & Michelle
Spartan Chassis

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted Hide Post
you will love to work on it not far from rusty and WE pass that way a lot.have fun
lenny

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Vince, I've gone the boat route, too; 4 altogether over 20 years. Two were good size wooden cruisers, the largest 43'. The woodies were both 25 years old when I bought them, & both were labors of love.

You're right. Get the necessary functional stuff out of the way first, then deal with the rest when you can.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post