Tools
Reply To This Topic

new Barth is road ready
 Login now/Join our community

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted
I've been bonding with Barth for two weeks here in the Florida keys. These things really are well made! My bro-in-law took good care but I found a few things. Almost everything was working. The front wiring seems to be the Achilles heel, didn't like the salt air I guess. (Been stored here for 2 years) The forums have been very helpful! I'll be motoring back to Michigan in 2 more weeks (darn!) and hopefully we'll have good run. I'll have pics soon.
Here's the current list:

Inspect tag axle, rear brake lines
replace 2 tires 8.00 x R19.5
replace 2 shocks (original Monroe 36080 not avail.) Monroe 555003 new part #
replace 2 air springs: Goodyear 1R9-038
repack 1 outer bearing, right side (grease cap is broken)

replace front coil air bags (Firestone 4100 series)
inflate 9 tires to 75 psi

replace slats in 2 blinds
remove faded curtains
service 2 roof AC: clean filters, vacuum ducts, paint covers, tighten louvers
remove bedroom folding door, install in place of broken hall door
clean/inspect water heater
inspect frig, lube hinges
lube storage door locks, latches, hinges
replace latch strike on screen door

remove driver wiper motor, replaced 2 missing bolts, grease and replace
replace wiper blades (20")
rewire all headlamps: new power wire, 2 relays, new headlight connectors
rewire front turn signals and reconnect chassis lights
rewire turn signal lights on mirrors
lace front chassis wiring harnesses
remove engine AC condenser, drier, lines, etc (R12 system is long gone!)
remount electric fans and oil cooler
lube air compressor, check belt
replace coolant recovery tank

grease all fittings: chassis, driveshaft, front end
service batteries: water full and terminals clean

check back camera system: (camera is bad)

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5183 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Do you know how old the brake fluid is?

Main and tag master cylinder.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Steve VW,
If you are comming up I-75 on your way to MI. and timing is right We could get together for a night at our club grounds.
Flat parking, 120v, fire pit. By the way Ours is #3344.-74 Super Beatle, 62 dirt buggy.
Doorman

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I always ran 65 pounds because that's what the data tag says. My truck wrench told me the tires are rated for 110 so I should run at least 95 or sidewalls will be too flexi and overheat. Ran 95 last Dega trip and got better milage, ride was maybe a little stiffer, but tires stayed cooler. They are 8.00 19.5 Bridgestones. Just something to think about. Have a good trip, and if you come up the Old coast, say hi when you go through Venice.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback! good suggestions. Bro-in-law had all fluids changed and brake line work done about 2 years ago so they should be OK. I have Bridgestones also..data tag says 70 psi but I agree that this may be lower than optimum. I started with 75 psi but based on the feedback I'll start with 80 or so and check the ride and sidewalls. I'll be heading up I-75 first week in April, maybe check with the boss and get back to you, Doorman.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5183 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com12/10
Picture of Gerald
posted Hide Post
I would agree with Danny...When I put new tires on my first Barth (28' Breakaway 8x19.5) I also went by the data tag. After a 20 mile test drive I could "smell um". Changed to manufactures specs (110 max) put them at 95 and worked much better. Didn't notice much difference on the ride

1986 Barth Regal SE
34 foot tag - 454 Chevy
8610 3363 34TFPOB

Posts: 227 | Location: Aberdeen, So. Dak. | Member Since: 09-25-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Bridgestone Load Table.

Scroll down to p.4.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Also, wheels have a pressure limit. Usually under the dirt on the inboard side of the rim.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Rusty, am I reading this right? Data tag says front 5000 gvw divide by 2 = 2500 per tire. 8x19.5 makes it 70 lb. Rear 9800 = 2450 also 70 lb. If I'm happy with the ride and handling at 95 is there a reason I shouldn't run 95 pounds?

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
One of my best friends was in tire biz for 35 years, and he always recommended running higher than the vehicle manufacturer's recommendations, which are a blend of handling, safety, and comfort.

With 8R19.5, I run 95 front (6K lbs.) and 105 (10K) rear when I head north into cooler temps. Staying in one region, 90 front, 100 rear. Spartan says 90/90.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Rusty: thanks for the feedback. The Bridgestone pdf is just the kind of excellent info I love to find at this site! It looks like 90-95 psi is a better range. Given the 110 max rating, the 70 range would make the sidewalls flex and heat up faster.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
FWIW.....I have a letter from a Bridgestone applications engineer saying to never inflate less than the lowest number on the chart, even if your weight is lower than the lowest weight on the chart.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Steve, you are facing a long, long drive back to MI from FL and I am facing a long, long drive back to MI from AZ -- each with an old Barth. I am impressed with how thoroughly you have gone over the Regal. hate to admit that I am not planning such a complete evaluation before I leave Mesa.
You mentioned backup camera not working. I think Costco has the best system for the money. They have the complete Rear View Safety for $200. It gets excellent reviews. The Breakaway I am getting is sort of unique in that it is a diesel pusher with a rear window but no rear camera. So, I am planning to get the Item # 507735. It is also available with multiple cameras.
http://www.costco.com/Browse/P...=11526596&lang=en-US

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
thanks for the camera advice! (can't help but look around in this thing.. I've been working on old cars, old wooden boats and old airplanes for a long time.) It's a great way to meet people, everyone seems interested in the coach and its upkeep. I'm sure I could do this full time if I weren't old, lazy and retired but it would take the fun out of it.
As far as pressures go... does anyone have any advice on tag axle pressure? I was pondering the tire psi and loading tables and it occurred to me that the optimum tag pressure would give that axle just over half as much as the main dual axle. (They seem to derate the tires slightly when running dual). That would give each tire the same load. Any advice here? (sorry, this probably should have been a new thread)

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp