Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Buying and selling Barths
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
posted
Why do knowledgeable people chase Barths, buy them and then want to sell them after fixing them up?

Tom Taylor

Posts: 306 | Location: Jacksonville FL | Member Since: 05-21-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
not sure if I should answer on my own behalf or not. not sure I qualify as "knowledgeable"
knowledgeable |ˈnälijəbəl| (also knowledgable)
adjective
intelligent and well informed

I studied a lot about Barth, and many other Class A's before taking a leap to buy the one Dr. and Mrs. Yale had from 1992 (new) to 2011. I had dreams of traveling all over in it, as they had done. Unlike most members, it was my first Class A. previously had a few small travel trailers and camper vans.

The Barth served me well on my BIG TRIP from Michigan, to several National Parks, to my sister's in Marin Co. CA and back home. But, there was $0.40 per mile for fuel, having to pay big buck$ for almost anything and everything needing repair/replacement, storage issues and (at that time) a wife not well-suited for RV living, at least not with me. Mike, the current owner, is more skilled and experienced for mechanical, electrical and plumbing. He probably also has a well-matched traveling companion.

Immediately upon selling the Breakaway, I bought a 1995 Pleasure-Way class B based on an old-style Dodge 1 Ton van. I am enjoying it. Some of you have seen it. Rather than tow a tandem axle Featherlite car trailer with my MINI on it, I tow a little Aluma trailer with my scooter on it.
I am able to do more things on my own and/or by a mechanic friend who lives an hour away. When I must pay to have work or maintenance performed, everything is much less expensive.
Well, Tom, you didn't ask for a biography. sorry if I have gone too far.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Mine is. Best offer over $105,000.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Mine too. $57250.
Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tom taylor:
Why do knowledgeable people chase Barths, buy them and then want to sell them after fixing them up?

Tom Taylor
Don't know that I can answer the question, but Donna says I have always done it. First with Harley Davidson's, then 55-56-57 Chevy's, even a few houses. Must be a glutton for punishment or enjoy the rebuilding challenge.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Tom, there might be a lot of reasons
1. You really don't know a motor home until you've driven it for a while, maybe a week or so and a thousand miles. Our first motor home, a 1999 Trek was fine. But it had handling problems(well known but not to newbies) and we couldn't find anyone to fix them
2. Changes in lifestyle, like illness, divorce, loss of job, family member needs money, on and on. In the last two months, the arthritis in my hands has become so bad that I have trouble even pulling a rivet tool.
3. For some, the fixing is the object. When they're finished with the fixing, they want to go get another one to fix. Or maybe the fixing is too much. You never know until you get into it. I once had a 68 Volvo that had more fiberglass and filler than metal. You know what I mean
4. The grass is greener. We all well know that it isn't. But we only discover that after we venture on 'the other side'. I love the Breakaway. Tere does, too. But she loves the Regal more. I have to respect that.
I could go on and on. I guess some of us are a combination of restless, dissatisfied, dumb, smart or just plain crazy. I know I'm all of the above.
BTW, I'm not worth $57250 Frowner
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
$269,000 cash

Heck, for only $250,000 I'd deliver my Pleasure-Way AND my MINI AND my Lexus AND my Yamaha.
Then I'd be on line day and night for who knows how long shopping for replacements. For me, there is more thrill in the chase than in dress out the kill. deadhorse

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
Tom, there might be a lot of reasons
1. You really don't know a motor home until you've driven it for a while, maybe a week or so and a thousand miles. Our first motor home, a 1999 Trek was fine. But it had handling problems(well known but not to newbies) and we couldn't find anyone to fix them
2. Changes in lifestyle, like illness, divorce, loss of job, family member needs money, on and on. In the last two months, the arthritis in my hands has become so bad that I have trouble even pulling a rivet tool.
3. For some, the fixing is the object. When they're finished with the fixing, they want to go get another one to fix. Or maybe the fixing is too much. You never know until you get into it. I once had a 68 Volvo that had more fiberglass and filler than metal. You know what I mean
4. The grass is greener. We all well know that it isn't. But we only discover that after we venture on 'the other side'. I love the Breakaway. Tere does, too. But she loves the Regal more. I have to respect that.
I could go on and on. I guess some of us are a combination of restless, dissatisfied, dumb, smart or just plain crazy. I know I'm all of the above.
BTW, I'm not worth $57250 Frowner
Jim
why buy a chevy when you will be happier with a rolls Royce,quality and pride are the words.a good comparison are boats such as chris craft first co to only use fibreglass stringers-albin and grand banks. nostalgia are the words.wally proud owner of 34ft barth .by the way,suprisingly there are quite a few under cover to escape the elements

Posts: 191 | Location: vancouver island bc | Member Since: 01-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post