Forums    General Discussions    If I could I would.
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

If I could I would.
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Sloop John B
posted
So we are sitting by the computer with a road atlas spread out next to it, planning our route for the "First bigggg trip" we hope it start our semi-retirement in the next 3 +- years. The future looks good as far as health, wealth, family, friends. Ok so gas prices are up, the job market is down, housing is at an all time $#@%&^ whatever. But we will travel in the greatest mode of travel around. I have been in 40 of these 50 States and we would like to see the northeast, south southwest west agian. Let your mind go back to the places you have seen and help us do a Grand Tour. The Lord willing and the creek dont rise we may see you along the way Smiler Cool Big Grin All who wander are not lost.

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gas should be $8/quart by then. Wink

Posts: 136 | Location: IL | Member Since: 08-25-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
One thing to keep in mind is weather. If the trip includes a swing through Florida, the ideal times are April and May, or October and November. It's rarely either too hot or too cold and the tourist season isn't in full swing. I'm sure a book could be,[and probably has been ] written about places to pitch your tent for a spell, ranging from the very reasonable State Parks to the elegant "exclusive" RV Parks. Personally, we're State Parkers, as we rarely stay more than a long weekend, and we've stayed at about 12 so far. Some are beautiful, others are rather rough around the edges, and each has it's own special appeal. Hope the near future keeps you in good fortune and you are able to make what for most of us would be "the trip of a lifetime".

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
We love state parks , have not found one that our 28' is to big for. We leave next thurs for the Smokies for a full week of hiking to see the spring wildflowers, old homesteads and photo show. The plans were changed from using the Barth to staying in a cabin due to timing and gas cost.

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Well, there's Maine (Ayuh!) - and a stop at Freeport to visit Leon's (localspeak for Leon L. Bean). In Massachusetts, there's Old Sturbridge Village. Not far off I-86 in NY's Finger Lakes region is the Bully Hill Winery at Hammondsport. After an outsider bought the Taylor Wine operation, family members could no longer use the Taylor name, so the current Taylor reclaimed Bully Hill, declaring, "You can take my name, but you can't get my goat!" Barnyard Red is my fave among the reds, with Love My Goat a close second; Lighthouse White tops the whites.

In Virginia, there's the Shenandoah Valley, Colonial Williamsburg, and Jamestown.

Missouri has Branson (totally cluttered, anymore I suspect), Jamesport (Amish community northeast of KC), and Hermann (quaint German settlement, wine is plentiful, although Missouri wine strikes no fear into NY, CA or French vintners).

Further south, the Natchez Trace Parkway goes from Nashville to just outside Natchez; a leisurely (50mph) drive. A stop at the Council House Restaurant in French Camp, maybe 200 yards off the Trace, is worthwhile; huge sandwiches, fantastic soup, and salads unmatched anywhere I've been.

Out west, for something different, there's Valentine, NE and the Nebraska Sand Hills, and of course CarHenge at Alliance. The badlands of SD are unusual, as is Devils Tower (in WY; for some reason, when mapped, the "'" was omitted).

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Corey's "Bucket List" in the Northeast are:
(no order, map the choices out for efficiency)

1) Acadia National Park, ME aka Bar Harbor (to locals - Bahhh Habahhh). Be sure to do the park loop and, if possible, bring bikes for the carriage roads.

2) Mt Washington, NH - where the worst weather on earth was recorded. Take the Cog Railway to the top and plan lunch at the Mt Washington Hotel. Be sure to visit "The Cave" in the basement of the hotel, unreal!!

3) Camden, ME - voted the prettiest town in Maine.

4) The Maine Maritime Museum in Bath, ME - The coolest museum on earth, and I'm not a museum guy as a rule.

5) Pittsburgh, NH - the largest town in NH with the lowest density of people. Pittsburgh is home to the Connecticut Lakes and borders Canada on almost all sides. Stop at Young's Store and ask where the "Moose Bog" is located; every dusk you can see (and smell) Moose up close and personal.

6) Old Quebec City - more authentic to old glorious France than Paris is today

7) Montreal - shop the underground city! Visit the botanical Gardens too

8) Old Port, Portland, ME visit this restored fishing port and absolutely, positively, take the ferry to Peaks Island, rent a bike at "Mike's Bikes" for an afternoon in pure tranquility!!!!!!!!!! You know you're on an island when everyone looks you in the eye and greets you warmly, everyone unless they too are from the mainland that is.

9) Quechee Gorge, Vt - fun stop and great indoor flea market

10) Mystic Seaport, CT - awesome

My list keeps you away from the congested parts of the North East, with exception to Montreal and Q City. Obviously, there are other great things to see in Taxachusetts like Boston and Cape Cod which are equally compelling, but fraught with traffic issues.

Good Luck, hope to spy you along the route!
Corey

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 06/08
Picture of Raymag
posted Hide Post
quote:

6) Old Quebec City - more authentic to old glorious France than Paris is today

Quebec City will be a place to visit this summer.
They celebrate their 400th anniversary.

For more details visit their site at:

http://www.quebec400.gc.ca/bienvenue-welcome-eng.cfm

Real

1991 Breakaway 30Ft
5.9L Cummins Diesel
Spartan Frame
4 Speed Allison Model 542
Front Entrance
Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension

Posts: 126 | Location: Shefford, QC Canada | Member Since: 08-02-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Never been to Mt. Washington NH, but in the dead of winter when it's dropping below 50 down here and we're all feeling sorry for ourselves, I hit this link and suddenly life isn't so bad!
http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/summit.php

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
I live in,and love New Hampshire. Winter to me is a chance to recover from a fantastic Summer and Fall season, and to get ready for Spring. This is a quote from some info about our Pitsburg.
quote:
Pittsburg, NH is for you! Nature rules in New Hampshire's northern-most town. Pittsburg is the largest township east of the Mississippi with more than 200,000 acres of mountains, valleys, lakes and streams.

Vectra Grand Tour 34
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
Tejas:
Goose Island State Park, near Corpus Crispy. Sites are parallel to, and 20 feet off, the water on Galveston Bay. Fishing pier, relaxed atmosphere. Best Sept thru May.
Big Bend - Sept, Oct, Nov to mid Dec then March, Apr, May. Birding is a big deal in March; European ornithologists are everywhere, playing recorded bird calls and viewing the colima warbler.
Garner State Park, in eastern-West-Texas/southern Hill Country. April-Nov. Packed with teenagers Jun, Jul, Aug.
Winter Time: Padre Island State Park and environs; longer term anywhere in the (Rio Grande) Valley.
Colorado: Happy Valley RV Park June-Sept. On a branch of the Arkansas (or is it Rio Grande) River high in Rockies near Wolf Pass; Highway 360(?). Cheap, family, fishing, horses, and a Square Dancing mecca.

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Raymag,

Where would be a good place to stay in Q City? A nice campground is what I mean. I once had a bad experience near Sherbrooke at an RV park that was scary.

Corey

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 06/08
Picture of Raymag
posted Hide Post
Corey,
Here's a link to a list of campground approved by the Quebec Federation od Camping.

http://www.campingquebec.com/cdcq/en/region_06.shtml

Just click on any of the blue triangles to get more info.
You will see that the best way to visit Quebec City is to stay on the south shore and drive into the city. There is a KOA near the bridge. Myself, I will be making reservation at Camping Guilemette for the nights of Aug 11,12, and 13. I heard good things about it. It is right on the St-Lawrence river and the rate are $28 for full services.

We might see you there!

Real

1991 Breakaway 30Ft
5.9L Cummins Diesel
Spartan Frame
4 Speed Allison Model 542
Front Entrance
Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension

Posts: 126 | Location: Shefford, QC Canada | Member Since: 08-02-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the places to go. We have been to many of them but our list is growing. Please keep it up. Thread drift-- the eathquake shook our house at 4:30 am Friday morning it was reported as 5.3 ( I know this is nothing compared to our west coast members put it was as much as I ever want to feel). Eeker All who wander are not lost.

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake