Forums    General Discussions    memory foam and/or travasak?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

memory foam and/or travasak?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/15
Picture of stringmann
posted
In our little sob, we have a queen bed (when set up)whose cushions compete with collapsed dog treat boxes for comfort. I am looking at memory foam (tho I have some kind of thin mattres topper on there now) Even when we get back into a barth, I'd like to be able to move these over, if possible. Any counsel is appreciated. tia, stringmann

Posts: 118 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Our couch-bed had some pretty thin mattresses covering a plywood base so sleeping wasn't exactly comfortable. Suzy removed the covers and got a full size memory foam mattress cover from Wally, [about 40 bucks]. She cut to size and made new covers. The extra 2 inches or so made a world of difference. We often sleep up front now, even with the hotel quality mattresses on the rear twins.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
We have a TempurPedic mattress on our bed at home. If you like a fairly hard mattress, it's good. Quite cold when you first climb in but it contours to your body and is comfortable.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:

Memory Foam..........We bought a 2 inch MF topper for our Barth mattress and loved it so much we bought a 4 incher for the house. There are several densities of MF, and the lighter ones are not worth buying. Get an accurate weight figure before you compare when shopping. We bought both of ours from www.foambymail.com. Also bought their pillows and dog bed.

quote:

Travasak......We love ours. It is great for cold weather. Before we had it, we were aware of cold air coming in the sides whenever either one of us moved. With the side zippers, we can moderate warmth by how far down the zipper is open, as well as whether the thick or thin side is on top. We sleep with no heat, so we use a down quilt on top when it gets down low.

We have added extra material down at the feet to make the sheets longer so there is enough to fold down over the open end as you would do with a regular bed sheet.

The only other way it could be better would be for flannel sheets to be available for winter. We would make up a couple of sets, but sewing Velcro is such a pain.

Having said all that, the Travasak is overpriced for what it is. It is essentially a thin sleeping bag zipped to a thick sleeping bag to make a double bag with Velcro for sheet attachment. I think if we were starting from scratch I would do the bag thing and make my own sheets, including flannel. It would be a bit of aggro, but it would save a little money, and we would have exactly what we wanted, like extra length and flannel sheets for cold nights. They really make a difference. Or, at least, they feel nice. Smiler

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Looks like Suzy did a nice job. What size is that when it's fully open? Does the backboard piece drop down and it converts into a full size?

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Folded down it's a full size. We zip 2 bags together if it's cold and it's nice and warm. Here's a pic of it folded down. The back half is a 2 piece affair piano hinged to pull up and back when putting it back to couch configuration. It's one smooth move and done.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/11
Picture of Tom Loughney
posted Hide Post
Memory Foam- the mattress in our Barth is good but being older, 10 years it does not have a pillow top. Hurt my hips when I was sleeping. Bought a topper 1 1/2 inch at Target (I think) and it is fabulous comfortable and I sleep great. The only problem is that it creeps a bit, it is in a case which slides on the mattress a little. Washing the sheets and a quick reposition and all is fine.

I had a down (mid weight) comforter and electric mattress pad, but the pad died due to the inverter coming on several times. Not warranted for non shore power use. So again at Target we bought a thick polyester blanket (not heavy, but thick) and with the Foam pad and the combination of blankets all has been toasty warm.

Tom

Tom Loughney
Barthless....

Posts: 202 | Location: Thailand  | Member Since: 03-31-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post