Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

RV Clubs
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of rp's barth
posted
Would like some input on Good Sam's and FMCA.We Want to join one of them and would like to hear from some members to better help us decide. are there any advantages between the two and how is the roadside service? Thank You Richard and Robin. Also would like to know if there are any Barth owners in central Fl.?

Richard & Robin
s7809 2539 MC27 FP3

• 1979 27'
  • 454 Chevy
  • P-32 Chassis

Posts: 298 | Location: Deltona Flordia | Member Since: 08-18-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I belong to both. Good Sam's will deluge you with junk mail and email, but the road service is excellent.

Dave and Sandy (near The Villages) have a 28' Breakaway (for sale); I live 15 miles north of Gainesville.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"Good Sam's will deluge you with junk mail and email, but the road service is excellent."

Exactly. However, the Road Service is separate (in billing and "membership"). In 18 years of Barthing we have belonged to both - briefly- and have found neither offered anything we are interested in...
Good Sam Road Service has been my mainstay all these years; used it twice, both times excellent service. It is well worth the $99 annual fee.
PS: "Good Sam" (actually GMAC) Insurance is our Barth/automobile insurer because we want someone who is knowledgeable about motorhomes if (when) a claim arises.

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Don Scalzo
posted Hide Post
We also belong to both as well as the Barth Rangers. All are what you make it. They all have rallys and attending can be a learning experience. If you like meeting people you can get your moneys worth. Linda and I have.

Posts: 196 | Location: Apollo Beach, Fl. USA | Member Since: 10-05-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
I don't think that there is any special value to belonging to FMCA. I do think that a close inspection of the FMCA Coach Net roadside service vs. Good Sams will find CoachNet to be superior.

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I joined FMCA so I could get the Coach Net service. the one time I had to use it made it well worth the $ spent. Coach Net offers a very good rate for a 3 year membership. I think it was under $300 and also covers me in a regular car...

FMCA sends a thick magazine monthly with lots of info about new (and very costly) coaches, plus an occasional article which is informative or educational to me. Haven't found anything being a member, other than the road service, that is useful to me, yet...

Posts: 48 | Location: boonville,ca. | Member Since: 01-30-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
Unfortunatly I have had to use CoachNet 3 times. They treat RV'er's like you have a big truck, which is what you have. I had a flat, called them they sent a guy who could have made a tire for me right there. Not really but almost. Turned out to be a lose valve stem. Then ia had a broken alternator belt on the freeway. They sent a guy who changed the belt right there on the freeway. I had a belt but he brought three with him of which two would have worked. I did not pay for him coming out and looking at the problem. He charged me $30 for changing the belt. I paid the $30 with a card and gave the guy $20 in cash. I was sooooo delighted.

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a simple question. I belong to AAA and they tell me that they will give me service but no towing. Any coments on this?

Jim

Posts: 41 | Location: Ashby, Massachusetts | Member Since: 06-16-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
While many problems can be fixed roadside, many more can't. An RV service without towing isn't worth much, IMHO.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Something has changed, or AAA varies from state to state. Several years ago I was towed into a garage in Tucson by my own insurance co. There was a woman there with a Barth who had AAA from CA. She had been towed in from Kitt Peak, which is about 75 mi. West of Tucson.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post